Upgrading to a Parallel Flow Condenser

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the questions on the preceding pages. I am 6000 miles from home and won't return until mid September. If you still have the same questions after 9/17, connect me then! Sorry I can't be more helpful now.

Gary

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
as far as mounting a fan, that is a concept in the drawing I posted, but should have label / explained it better
I was thinking 2 beams, on above and one below the fan that connect to the condenser
The beam would be cut from sheet stock, straight then a portion of a circle and then straight
at each end would be a stand off that the bolt passes through
fan and cndrs mnt cncpt r1.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just don't drive my coupe when its really hot... in the non-humid CA summer. Only suppose to be 110deg today!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it looks like the fan is attached to the upper flange of the condenser. i don't see a lower flange with holes ... so i presume it is only mounted at the top. the fan looks a little different than the one in your previous pic ... so CK must have sourced it elsewhere.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with attaching the fan through the cooling fins of the condenser (or radiator). BMW does that with sensors on some models and it could be argued that it works better for air flow since you know its completely up against the surface.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just checked, I bought a SPAL 0517 for $90, it pushes a ton of air but is noisy, not on the freeway but at idle or at a traffic light. I just used the plastic mounts, no issues.

IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG
IMG_3044.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
now for the novice question ... i guess the only way to get these things in there is to remove the radiator and come in from the back side. too difficult to try to get it in thru the grille slots and get it turned?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suppose that may be possible but doing so then securing it and installing the hoses with the radiator in place would be a much more pita than just removing the radiator and having free access.

now for the novice question ... i guess the only way to get these things in there is to remove the radiator and come in from the back side. too difficult to try to get it in thru the grille slots and get it turned?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
blue service book shows removing stock aux fan through grill opening, but that one is only 10 inches in diameter. Wait till you are doing your next coolant flush, or garage floor repaint. Then pull rad. ;)

Buildit

Reaction score
So you have installed this in your 2002? How does one unit replace the heater core and evaporator?
Yes, we have installed this unit we designed in a dozen 2002's. works perfectly, remove heater box, we provide a block off late for fire wall, cut a 3 inch hole for heat and ac lines and unit replaces entire heat, ac, blower etc. Has electronic controls including vent controls can install anywhere

getting ready to install unit on my 2800 CS and think will work perfectly as much more space in coupe then 2002

will take a few pics but have done the measurements for folks with e9's and all seems like plenty of room cleans up entire HVAC systems. Mass market product with spare parts easy to repair, update in car... etc.

let us know ... once we install in coupe with have specific adapters and mods to console but don't think will be as much to do with coupe as for 2002 as we designed OEM looking console with big screen stereo, backup cameras etc. to link. More pics of installed car here

example high end restomod 2002 we installed system in
https://goo.gl/photos/8WWGo3dGD3LJwWuKA

putting in this CS we are just finishing
https://goo.gl/photos/aijse9ca2qoQWzFLA

kit available on our site
here is 2002 kit
http://www.dtechparts.com/bmw-2002-heat-and-ac-evaporator-new-redesigned-as-modern-car/

you can help us refine specific adaptations for coupe kit