Upgrading to a Parallel Flow Condenser

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don, would love to talk to you about it to learn more. i know we talked about the stuff in this picture today ... but real curious what the CK guys are up to.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
The metal fab guy got back to me:
"We can have these brackets cut and deburred for $10 a piece. They will be cut out of 1/8" Mild Steel."
So $30 for 3 plus shipping

I don't have a drawing yet, I need to make careful measurements of the mounting holes in the car
These would attach to the same 'stand off' brackets as the original condenser
And I would have to try it in the car
My only wory would be the aux. fan, but shouldn't be a problem, the new condenser is much thinner, and I am just coping what Steve did

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in looking at nostalgic air.com, the largest fan they have that looks like that is 14". remember, the condenser is only 16"h x 18"w

i am curious how you mount the fan

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the brackets I plan on having made, I just need to get good measurements
After I do that and draw them up
Then I will start a new thread under parts to see who wants them
I will send them just the way I get them, not exactly sure how exact the plasma cutter will do on the bolt holes, maybe a clean up with a drill will be required, I will find out
These brackets will only work with the dimensions of the condenser I bought, referenced above
I will remeasure but the width between the rows of mounting holes is about 47.8 CM and the vertical distance between holes is about 1.59 CM

It would be nice to see an improved auxiliary fan mounting, the stock with only a 2 point mounting does not seem very good

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the brackets I plan on having made, I just need to get good measurements
After I do that and draw them up
Then I will start a new thread under parts to see who wants them
I will send them just the way I get them, not exactly sure how exact the plasma cutter will do on the bolt holes, maybe a clean up with a drill will be required, I will find out
These brackets will only work with the dimensions of the condenser I bought, referenced above
I will remeasure but the width between the rows of mounting holes is about 47.8 CM and the vertical distance between holes is about 1.59 CM

It would be nice to see an improved auxiliary fan mounting, the stock with only a 2 point mounting does not seem very good

Right, as mentioned, Nicad mounted a 17 inch Spal aux fan with a very tidy 4-point mounting/fabrication. Would link photo but it is presently held hostage in the current photobucket marketing project.:(

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
it would be nice to see the photo you mention with the 17" fan
Did it mount to existing holes in the car? It seems like the 3 for a condenser could be used
I don' see (so far) a 17"
I find a 16" low profile, I might get that and design a bracket for it
Spal 30100400 16" Straight Blade Low Profile Fan
https://www.amazon.com/Spal-3010040...04226908&sr=1-2&keywords=Spal+16+Electric+Fan
It was a post Jan 27, 2017. Photo will not load, but an excellent install, IMHO. I will PM Nicad and see if he can repost.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Attached drawing, a very rough concept drawing only!

The condenser mounting bracket drawings are stand-ins, there will have to be at least 2 profiles

I am leaning towards changing the fan from the stock, the stock 2 point mounting, I am sure will cause the fan to hit my new condenser at some point

For a concept, I think I like the idea of mounting the fan to the condenser, which would best assure relative position

From the photo of the fan, it looks like there is a feature between the 2 mounting holes on the same diameter, so the bracket will have to bump out in some way

Attachments

• fan and cndrs mnt cncpt r1.jpg
    fan and cndrs mnt cncpt r1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 157

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay - i have a brain fart issue here. Rob has used a 16" x 22" condenser in his coupe ... but nostalgicac.com only has a 16" x 18" (the size that stevehose used), which has a core size of 15" x 18" and an overall size of 16" x 20". so what i am afraid of is that what Mark is making ain't gonna fit for anybody using the nostalgicac unit ... which is what i plan to buy.

the fan is 14" diameter and is 2.5" thick. produces 1200 cfm and has a 9.2 amp draw. it comes with mounting legs ... but not really sure what it will take to mount in a coupe. any ideas?

there is also a reversible fan than puts out a lot more cfm (2135), but costs 138 bucks (substantially more than the 55 above). it draws 17.2 amps ... is 14.2" diameter and is 2"thick

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ahh ... there are different sizes in painted condensers and unpainted.
unpainted - #54-1622 (core size 15" x 22") - overall 16" x 24" - $90
- #54-1620 (core size 15" x 20") - overall 16" x 22" - $90

painted - #44-1618 (core size 15" x 18") - overall 16" x 20" - $85

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I have the 16x20 and its more than adequate and fits well. I also have the Spal mounted to the condenser, it is loud!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I have the same condenser as Steve, that is what I am copping
the condenser I bought
1 44-1618 16 X 18 Superflow R-134a Condenser

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I have the 16x20 and its more than adequate and fits well. I also have the Spal mounted to the condenser, it is loud!
Loud? That's not good. I respect Spal as a premium brand, but loud is something I would wish to avoid. I currently have the stock aux fan performing as the backup when temp reaches 2 0'clock. Comes on and is very loud. Effective, but would prefer something less noticeable. Perhaps Spal is not the one. Anyone have something else to recommend ?