What’s you best/most common comments about your car?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most frequent: “what year?”

Surprisingly often: “James Bond!”

Best: a very attractive, elegant woman in a white Range Rover pulled up next to me at a stoplight. She rolled down her window and said “that car is pure sex,” smirked, then drove away. Kind of like Suzanne Sommers in the white T-bird. Dumbfounded, I struggled to find first gear as she disappeared.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is that a Corvair?
Not the most common but certainly one that got my interest.
I was literally at a scenic stop on the top of Berthoud Pass in Colorado on my way home from Ofest in 2014.
Car was parked and a man said something about a Corvair.
He claimed that BMW copied the fender line and some other molding and stuff from the Corvair. Corvair was built in the mid to late 60's.
He stated some facts he knew about and yatta, yatta.
I told him I had never heard that before.
He did admit to owning some Corvairs and therefore was biased.
Jealous was probably more accurate.

Have a nice day and I drove away.

Attachments

• IMG_5714.JPG
    IMG_5714.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 119

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also have had the "is that a Corvair?" question asked more than a few times over the years and agree the most common lately at stop lights and parking lots is "what year is that?"

Taiga can be polarizing so I've had both good and bad unsolicited comments as to the color.

The most recent best comment was a simple "what a lovely car" which came from a renowned classical designer/planner in Miami.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
After parking the freshly detailed CS near the putting green at our golf club, two women golfers walked over to my wife and I, asking if that was our beautiful old BMW? Yes we replied. Ignoring any further comment about the car, one lady said “my friend and I were just saying that you make such a cute couple”. I wasn’t sure if she meant us and the car; or just us? Perhaps we were cute because I had walked around the car and opened the door for my wife!. :) Chivalry, at least was alive and well.

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
After parking the freshly detailed CS near the putting green at our golf club, two women golfers walked over to my wife and I, asking if that was our beautiful old BMW? Yes we replied. Ignoring any further comment about the car, one lady said “my friend and I were just saying that you make such a cute couple”. I wasn’t sure if she meant us and the car; or just us? Perhaps we were cute because I had walked around the car and opened the door for my wife!. :) Chivalry, at least was alive and well.
I hope chivalry can survive the PC trends. I’m on board with almost all of those trends, but I still enjoy being comfortable with showing chivalry, and secretly miss un-PC comedy. I was a huge fan of the lampoon magazine. Virtually none of that could be done today. And a world without Young Frankenstein is not worth living.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Out of the mouths of babes...
When I first got the car, went to the grocery, parked well away from the buggies and humanity, but inconspicously...came out, and there's a nasty, rusty, American V-8 of some sort parked right next to me with a young couple walking around the coupe, and I honestly wasn't sure what they were doing. I walked up, surprising them out of a stupor, and asked if I could help them...he looked at his girlfriend/whatever and said, " I think that's the most beautiful car we've ever seen...thanks for letting us look at it..."

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sitting at a stop light with the windows down on a beautiful spring day, and distinguished looking gray haired guy in a newer Mercedes convertible pulled up next to me in the right hand turn lane. He looks at my car and says "Ohh, I love this car. I owned one of these from new in Iran. F*cking Shah" and he drove off.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
The mailman stopped yesterday as I had it outside and thought it was a 2002. He only saw the front and he owned a 2002 when he was in German. At least he recognized it as a BMW from the road.
I have also described it to others as a "James Bond" type of car. They definitely have nice lines.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thinking on this, I recall a beautiful woman pulled up in traffic and remarked, "that car is ADORABLE!" ...."adorable"; I suppose that's better than the "OMG it's sooo cuuuute..." when women comment on my 2002.

My best bud, Barney has a saying, "these cars are magnets for 60 year old men" :D:D

Ed Z

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sitting at a stop light with the windows down on a beautiful spring day, and distinguished looking gray haired guy in a newer Mercedes convertible pulled up next to me in the right hand turn lane. He looks at my car and says "Ohh, I love this car. I owned one of these from new in Iran. F*cking Shah" and he drove off.
My step dad was in Iran in the 60's for the State Dept. He would love hearing that.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One of my friends (?) took a quick look at my Bavaria the other day and remarked "Nice Rambler" :oops:

I'm sure he was teasing (well, he'd BETTER be :mad:), but it got me to thinking.

Both boxy 4 door sedans
Both unibody
Both straight 6 power
Both manual transmissions
Both room for 5
Both underappreciated

IMG_5634.jpeg

01313_7kbUazc5jf8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

The above one just showed up on CraigsList.

Hmmmmm...Lots cheaper to restore. Maybe someone would mistake it for a BMW?