What’s you best/most common comments about your car?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my friends (?) took a quick look at my Bavaria the other day and remarked "Nice Rambler" :oops:

I'm sure he was teasing (well, he'd BETTER be :mad:), but it got me to thinking.

Both boxy 4 door sedans
Both unibody
Both straight 6 power
Both manual transmissions
Both room for 5
Both underappreciated

View attachment 111634

View attachment 111635

The above one just showed up on CraigsList.

Hmmmmm...Lots cheaper to restore. Maybe someone would mistake it for a BMW?
Hey Dick, what a coincidence, I read somewhere Bernie Sanders' DD is a Rambler! How cool is that?

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
"yeah $100K and a ride to the airport, and it is yours"
This is what we think, but they’re thinking $20,000 should be about what’s it’s worth.

When I leave the car parked in front of the house-30 minutes later- my neighbor Neighbohr is knocking on the door “this guy in a Porsche/(expensive car) stopped and was checking out your car, go talk to him, he might be interested”

It was cool the first 10 times, but after a while, it’s hard take anyone serious as they have no clue what these cars are worth today. So I stopped answering the door when my car is outside lol.
Nevertheless, it’s fun watching people take pictures of it, as I did for the longest time.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what we think, but they’re thinking $20,000 should be about what’s it’s worth.

When I leave the car parked in front of the house-30 minutes later- my neighbor Neighbohr is knocking on the door “this guy in a Porsche/(expensive car) stopped and was checking out your car, go talk to him, he might be interested”

It was cool the first 10 times, but after a while, it’s hard take anyone serious as they have no clue what these cars are worth today. So I stopped answering the door when my car is outside lol.
Nevertheless, it’s fun watching people take pictures of it, as I did for the longest time.
Right, just like the "I will trade you!" from the guy with the crapped out .......fill in blank. :( BTW, we need more emojis.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
For a while my license plate read "1973 CS" but people kept asking what year is it?
Love this. While I don’t have a custom plate I do have this. It’s the original, note the year in the bottom left. I loved it from the beginning because it was so ESY to remember.:) And of course course I still get asked what year is it? Bought in 73, same registration in 2021.

Attachments

• 09E3C59C-ABE4-4782-8ADD-7FB2067E44C1.jpeg
    09E3C59C-ABE4-4782-8ADD-7FB2067E44C1.jpeg
    633.6 KB · Views: 102

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
With all of the positive comments I received over the years, the one I remember the most wasn't much of a compliment.

Five or six years ago, a buddy of mine and I went to a car show in his little town in SW Washington. Probably 400 cars lining the streets of the quant little downtown. it was 99% American classics, hot rods, and muscle cars. We had the only German cars there. We were in the typical old man position of sitting behind our cars in fold up chairs, when a couple walked up to look at my car. The wife went around and noticed my open and complete tool kit. She said something like 'honey come and check this cool tool box', He walked around, took a quick glance and said 'It's a BMW, it needs a lot of tools".

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hope you did not get into an L'esprit de l'escalier predicament by staying silent...

...The wife went around and noticed my open and complete tool kit. She said something like 'honey come and check this cool tool box', He walked around, took a quick glance and said 'It's a BMW, it needs a lot of tools".

Dohn

Reaction score
Yeah, I can relate to a lot of these comments: Corvair, beautiful car, what year (despite my ITSA 74 license plate), the thumbs-up, and that every stop at a gas station seems to turn into a car show. I don't hate it.
My fondest memory, though, is when I saw my first coupe. Around 1975 I took my MGB to a friends house for some repair (I know, hard to imagine), and he had a 3.0cs sitting in his driveway. I was awestruck, as I had never seen one. Turns out it was his company car! His employer gave salespeople a car allowance, and let them buy whatever they wanted, and that was his choice. I stared at that car for the longest time; thinking it was the most beautiful big (compared to an MG) car I'd ever seen. It definitely imprinted on me, and when five years ago I decided I was going to buy a classic, there was no doubt what it would be...

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I guess you called Dennis back. Not sure how old the "crusin the coast "episode was but I just watched it and your coupe looked great!

Season 16 Episode 21
On this episode of My Classic Car, Dennis heads to the Mississippi Gulf Coast for Cruisin' the
Coast.
11.jpg

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
“What is it?” ....asked of me by a board member of the BMWCCA as I pulled up in front of the sponsoring hotel at O-Fest, two years ago. :(

...the ugly duckling syndrome of the 1st Gen Coupe

Ed Z
The 2000cs a super cool, mid century "atomic" car. It is super bad. Maybe not beautiful as an e9 but higher on the "cool" index for sure.