What are you valuing your e9 for insurance purposes

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My insurance company (State Farm) asked me for some current images and valuations. What do you think my car is worth and should be insured for? These are the images requested by SF.

1644076645632.png

1644076664729.png

1644076685876.png

1644076703562.png

1644076828150.png

1644076848223.png

1644076867975.png

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Basically, if it were destroyed in an accident, what would it cost to find a reasonable good restoration candidate plus the cost from Benny to restore to the condition of your current E9.
That would be my "agreed value"
It would be well in excess of $100,000 I believe to do that and that does not include all the time and effort chasing parts. Frankly I don’t know if Benny would do another one.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Basically, if it were destroyed in an accident, what would it cost to find a reasonable good restoration candidate plus the cost from Benny to restore to the condition of your current E9.
That would be my "agreed value"
I don't think you could get ANY insurance company to agree to the number that that process would produce.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Recommend comparing agreed value with State Farm vs Hagerty. $100K coverage with Hagerty is $1608/year or $134/month. Your rate may vary.
Pretty sure my rate is much much less than that I will have to look but I think it is just a few hundred dollars to be honest because I don’t drive it that much and have several other cars insured

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hagerty has my coupe insured for well over $100K
That would probably be the market price for your car (I'm sure it is VERY nice). To buy a good restoration candidate and then to have it pro restored, is generally a bigger number in total than buying one already in the condition the restoration would produce.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My insurance company (State Farm) asked me for some current images and valuations. What do you think my car is worth and should be insured for? These are the images requested by SF.

View attachment 135448
View attachment 135449
View attachment 135450
View attachment 135451
View attachment 135452
View attachment 135453

View attachment 135454
Hello, Nice looking E9 and you don't see many black color is this an original color however I would give up this good looking E9 nothing less than $80,000 good lock with you and please do not get mad if I price it low if you put up an BAT to sale it it may go higher.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, My insurance is up for renewal in March for 4 vehicles, so I thought I would quote American Collectors as they sounded like a lower cost option. I went on line and the first preliminary quote without details was 20% less than Hagerty. After adding items like occationally driving the cars for work (once a month) or errands (seldom) the price came back as identical to Hagerty. They asked for the current insurance company.
I will stay with Hagerty.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just increased my value to $125,000. There are no clear restrictions on driving etc. It costs now about $500 a year with state farm

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just increased my value to $125,000. There are no clear restrictions on driving etc. It costs now about $500 a year with state farm
There are no clear restrictions is different than it is clear there are no restrictions on driving.
I would love to know if they pay that $125k agreed value on a $500 a year policy when you use it for commute.
Maybe they know you spend so much time doing videos and interviews that you have no time left to drive the car :).

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are no clear restrictions is different than it is clear there are no restrictions on driving.
I would love to know if they pay that $125k agreed value on a $500 a year policy when you use it for commute.
Maybe they know you spend so much time doing videos and interviews that you have no time left to drive the car :).
I don't commute anywhere for work at least. My house is above my office, but they never asked anyway. I drive to my hikes, and have 3 vehicles.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't commute anywhere for work at least. My house is above my office, but they never asked anyway. I drive to my hikes, and have 3 vehicles.
I have 8 vehicles and they make me declare miles, and non-commute.
House above office? More expensive as the upper floor may fall on the car.
You do not know your coverage until you total the car. Self insure, if the risk works for them it works for you.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
zero chance of house ever falling; it is made of concrete, 18" thick walls.
I have 8 vehicles and they make me declare miles, and non-commute.
House above office? More expensive as the upper floor may fall on the car.
You do not know your coverage until you total the car. Self insure, if the risk works for them it works for you.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
For transparency and information purposes only, here is where I believe "an insurance application" started costing more dollars. I would be incorrect to say that my cars will never visit friends, be used for general transportation, go to a resturant, other, or even to "Excercise the Motor/Maintenance, etc. Does anyone have an E9 or other classic car that doesn't need to be driven to "Excercise the Motor" or for "Maintenance? I believe the exceptions that they list are when an incident may be more likely to happen.
I clicked on only a couple boxes to expose the drop down below it.

1644684317718.png

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had trouble upping my agreed to value on my Sahara Coupe with State Farm to $70,000 a few years ago. Bring A Trailer at that point had a historical record of what Coupes were selling for at that time so I sent my agent and the underwriter the link to the values. Within a day or two they got back to me and agreed to what I wanted. Don't recall what my premiums are but I have several policies with them and it is reasonable and a single source. I should probably revisit the agreed to value but plan on selling Sahara sometime in the Spring. With all the sales that have gone on for Coupes at Bring A Trailer I think justifying a new value to any of the insurance companies should be easy now.

Regards, Jon