What did you do to your E9 today?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally pulled my driver’s side rocker cover. Note to future restorers, you need quite a bit of garage space the get your coupe door open far enough to unscrew the front door sill screw. I thought I was going to need to drill the head off but I got it off
with some vice grips.

After that I gave my rocker several smacks with the stainless vacuum cleaner tube and sucked up 1lb of old Karman.

C7DB64B0-701C-4FBB-BDA3-3AE16C3E443D.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hopefully 1/4" isn't too thick. might be tight fitting under the door cap trim. looks like somebody put screws through the vinyl ... the card probably wouldn't hold the clips any longer.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Robert, the underside of your coupe is looking quite excellent! we already know the topside is ...

a couple of questions, since you are going in with the 5 speed, did you get the new Coupeking mount?
whose exhaust are you using?

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
hey Robert, the underside of your coupe is looking quite excellent! we already know the topside is ...

a couple of question, since you are going in with the 5 speed, did you get the new Coupeking mount?
whose exhaust are you using?

Thank you Scott!

The mount I'm going to use is the (supposedly on the weak side) aluminium version, part # 23711175731. Only reason is that it was included in the gearbox deal, and that a new CK mount will be north of 500€ with shipping and 24% import tax. So I have two new rubbers for the mount, then I'm going to use a swaybar-end bushing part # 31351125712 + a bolt up through the tunnel to support the rear of the shifter platform, and I still haven't decided if I'm going to make an arm (as in the CK kit) that supports the shifter platform from the gearbox itself.

The exhaust is the W&N stainless version, great fit so it's easy to install and I'm very happy with it.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Gransin, in Athena I recall we used a Z3 shift platform & welded the original rod to use the screw on shift knob. (14x 1.5)

Okay, thanks for the tip Andrew! I'm sure there are several good ways to get this done, however I've tried to get all the parts needed before actually starting the work, so I went with what I've been able to read is working, so I'm going to use the e12 528i shifter platform part # 25111205386 and then a lower shift lever from an e21 320i part # 25111205870 per @Stevehose 's 5 speed linkage thread.
I've already got the proper bronze bushings sitting on the bench, but instead of dropping $$$ on a UUC DSSR, I'm going to make my own, or at least try to.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
hopefully 1/4" isn't too thick. might be tight fitting under the door cap trim. looks like somebody put screws through the vinyl ... the card probably wouldn't hold the clips any longer.
Exactly correct! Water damage to the cardboard did them in.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Weather allowed me to switch the coupe over to the other bay with the lift, so now it's about to get the Getrag 265/6 installed, I think (hope) I have all the parts needed for the job.

View attachment 87494

View attachment 87493
I will watch this with interest. I have acquired a 265/6, 3- Italian Weber 40DCOEs and Stahl headers. I may be in over my head.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will watch this with interest. I have acquired a 265/6, 3- Italian Weber 40DCOEs and Stahl headers. I may be in over my head.
we know its an illness, but i think your doctor has given you the perfect prescription for a well sorted coupe ... and the pharmacy has filled it without the use of generics. look forward to hearing about your recovery

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
plywood wont save you from moist damage, paint them with latex or varnish

Good call. For folks in the US, I recommend Redgard. It is what you use to coat your cement board and surrounding subfloor when doing a shower. I’m sure there is a european equivalent. Probably better and been around longer as is with most building supplies.
:D