What did you do to your E9 today?

Barry.b

Reaction score
So here's a fun one (full disclosure it wasn't today, but a couple weeks ago). My daughter was home on Christmas break from the US Naval Academy where she is a Midshipman 3rd Class (sophomore). We drove the coupe out to a gorgeous twisty mountain road called Sunrise Highway, about an hour east of San Diego. I wanted to drive for the fun of it and to give Christie some lessons about driving a vintage 4 speed BMW on backroads. She was excited to do some real driving but also wanted to capture some cool photos to submit to an annual photo contest at the Naval Academy (hence my coupe with USNA Brigade Flag attached). She won first place in last year's contest with a drone shot of a Jeep out in the desert (see attached). To make a long story short, she didn't end up submitting the coupe photos, but we had a tremendous father-daughter bonding experience -- despite my white knuckles and near cardiac arrest. :oops: #ProudDad #GoNavy #BeatArmyView attachment 134478View attachment 134479View attachment 134480View attachment 134479View attachment 134480
So here's a fun one (full disclosure it wasn't today, but a couple weeks ago). My daughter was home on Christmas break from the US Naval Academy where she is a Midshipman 3rd Class (sophomore). We drove the coupe out to a gorgeous twisty mountain road called Sunrise Highway, about an hour east of San Diego. I wanted to drive for the fun of it and to give Christie some lessons about driving a vintage 4 speed BMW on backroads. She was excited to do some real driving but also wanted to capture some cool photos to submit to an annual photo contest at the Naval Academy (hence my coupe with USNA Brigade Flag attached). She won first place in last year's contest with a drone shot of a Jeep out in the desert (see attached). To make a long story short, she didn't end up submitting the coupe photos, but we had a tremendous father-daughter bonding experience -- despite my white knuckles and near cardiac arrest. :oops: #ProudDad #GoNavy #BeatArmyView attachment 134478View attachment 134479View attachment 134480View attachment 134479View attachment 134480
Well done on the good use of time , family bonding whilst out and about , both of you enjoying the coupe and the countryside together.
Her photo of the jeep is amazing, it really draws you in !
The coupe photo coming towards the camera is good too !
Well done !

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
So here's a fun one (full disclosure it wasn't today, but a couple weeks ago). My daughter was home on Christmas break from the US Naval Academy where she is a Midshipman 3rd Class (sophomore). We drove the coupe out to a gorgeous twisty mountain road called Sunrise Highway, about an hour east of San Diego. I wanted to drive for the fun of it and to give Christie some lessons about driving a vintage 4 speed BMW on backroads. She was excited to do some real driving but also wanted to capture some cool photos to submit to an annual photo contest at the Naval Academy (hence my coupe with USNA Brigade Flag attached). She won first place in last year's contest with a drone shot of a Jeep out in the desert (see attached). To make a long story short, she didn't end up submitting the coupe photos, but we had a tremendous father-daughter bonding experience -- despite my white knuckles and near cardiac arrest. :oops: #ProudDad #GoNavy #BeatArmy
Your daughter is very talented; is she taking the Marine Corps option?

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Marine Corps? Well, Christie's early career inclinations are toward Naval aviation, but she greatly admires the Marine Corps culture and has some tremendous Marine mentors at the Academy. She has thrived in ground warfare training, she qualified for MARSOT (MARine Special Opportunity Training), and plans to attend Camp Leatherneck this summer. -- so yes, Marine Corps is a seriously considered option. My preference, for what's worth, is for Christie to become a Navy or Marine Corps aviator. I know I will be thrilled and proud regardless what career path she pursues. Great opportunities await!

Walter, are you a Marine?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Marine Corps? Well, Christie's early career inclinations are toward Naval aviation, but she greatly admires the Marine Corps culture and has some tremendous Marine mentors at the Academy. She has thrived in ground warfare training, she qualified for MARSOT (MARine Special Opportunity Training), and plans to attend Camp Leatherneck this summer. -- so yes, Marine Corps is a seriously considered option. My preference, for what's worth, is for Christie to become a Navy or Marine Corps aviator. I know I will be thrilled and proud regardless what career path she pursues. Great opportunities await!

Walter, are you a Marine?

Well, as a ground guy myself (combat engineer) I don’t know if I can endorse “zoomies” (pilots). Just kidding, bit of jealousy as I was too dumb to be trusted with an aircraft; instead they let me play with high explosives! Aviators are some of our best officers, Marine or Navy. Tell her Semper Fidelis for me and good luck with her career.

-Walter (USMC)

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, as a ground guy myself (combat engineer) I don’t know if I can endorse “zoomies” (pilots). Just kidding, bit of jealousy as I was too dumb to be trusted with an aircraft; instead they let me play with high explosives! Aviators are some of our best officers, Marine or Navy. Tell her Semper Fidelis for me and good luck with her career.

-Walter (USMC)
Semper Fi, Walter. And many thanks.

-Tom

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Washed and waxed my babies

Attachments

• E2740396-3E19-49D8-9668-6A465B0080A5.jpeg
    E2740396-3E19-49D8-9668-6A465B0080A5.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 113
  • D27C326F-13C6-48F4-8056-EEAE0E300A23.jpeg
    D27C326F-13C6-48F4-8056-EEAE0E300A23.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 000E1F11-0334-4B21-8790-CFD294FD0091.jpeg
    000E1F11-0334-4B21-8790-CFD294FD0091.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 93

Barry.b

Reaction score
I cleaned and painted the inside of my coupe this week , first with a couple of coats of zinc primer, then a coat of white smooth rite .
I know it’s not a factory finish and It will obviously never be seen when the car is finished but it will add to the rust proofing a lot if there happened to ever be a leak from a side window or something.
I live in Ireland so even though I’d like to be able to not use it when it is raining, our weather can change throughout the day , so even though the sun could be out when you head off, it could be raining before you get home. So if rain does find a way in at least it won’t be attacking the floors of the car now.
I found some scary wiring while I was under the dash which I will have to sort out also.
B8FAE9B3-CE71-466A-AE5C-2E09A641AC45.jpeg
32E6126D-922D-4DE8-BA76-4F8942F76A9B.jpeg
6AA9DE7B-7F8F-4BE9-BB88-64CC64A5008F.jpeg

Thankfully I also only found metal over where the glovebox lives and no rusted out panels.

day66

Reaction score
Always nice to get some paint on - I’m at a similar point though I‘m scraping off the underside of my floor pans - not so much fun! - before painting and applying rust protection.

Barry.b

Reaction score
It’s a pain to do the underneath, but it’s nice to actually have it done. Once and for all.
and hopefully never again have to do it .
Good luck with yours :)

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
C7CF03B3-EB58-4378-B1FB-EFA3AF24B2D1.jpeg

M88 engine tuning attempted. Still complications with the engine management.

Maybe next weekend.

RP

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drove out to the BMW Performance Center in Thermal, CA. Gorgeous drive through the mountains and desert roads east of San Diego. After driving my old slow car fast, I got to drive some new fast cars... well... as competently as I could manage;). It was an absolute blast driving some incredibly fast and agile M cars on the track. It was quite a contrast afterward to hop in my E9 time machine to drive home across the desert & mountains illuminated by the setting sun. Best day so far in the E9!
Feb BMW PC1.jpg
Feb BMW PC2.jpgFeb desert1.jpgFeb desert2.jpg

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
6C65CA69-24BB-48E7-B03B-CA1F0B766FDD.jpeg

More preliminary engine tuning. We drove the car until the battery/voltage dropped out. It is ready for the dyno and further tuning! Thankfully it coasted down the hill and into the shop.

Now to fix the alternator. Great fun.