Discussion in 'E9 General Discussion' started by adawil2002, Oct 24, 2014.
Looking very nice Scott.
many thanks Chris ... i also put in new Philips 4w bulbs into all of the instruments.
Good move. I found when I renovated my T11 instrument cluster that Philips bulbs are distinctly brighter than Osram bulbs, even though both are 4 watts.
Wow, Scott, looks like everything is brand new!
Sir...Step away from the hose!
Sweet instrument cluster!
Love the Taiga!
Well, not today, but a couple of days ago completed removal of heavy duty rear springs and Bilstein shocks. Installed OE springs and Koni shocks. Thanks to all the advice from several members of this forum, the procedure worked very well. Won't know the change in ride until spring. Now - fast forward to the front McPherson struts for similar changes this or next week.
I installed thrust washers on the handbrake á la FAQ Grice's kit (he doesn't supply them anymore).
No "play", feels great!
Sourced the thrust washers in China on AliExpress for less than €2.00 with free shipping!
You want the AXK1730 17x30x4mm, and you need an M14x45 and M14 nylon locknut. (They can also be found on AliExpress.) About $20 for all parts; bolts/nuts come qty 3 pcs.
It takes them a month to ship, but it’s free! (That may be a Sino/Swiss trade thing, probably not the same for the US.)
Instructions for installation from Grice:
For the hanbrake cable adjustment, I believe you are supposed to have a second pair of 10mm nuts to lock the cable nuts in place?
Good eye, Steve, Yes, there are in fact two nuts needed to lock the brake adjustment. I guess I shot these before the final, final step!
I had my paint gauge handy as I was scheduled to examine a CSI yesterday.
Good luck, and good hunting!
That didn’t pan out unfortunately. What I meant to add was that I ran it over most of my car. The whole car has about .5mm of paint and whatever. There is one thick spot on the door, and both lower rear fenders in front of the rear arch. I need to cut this area out to do the rockers, so overall I’m happy with the result. My parts car had some very thick areas on the fender tops, but the front and rear seem good on the project car.
I went over my car with a paint gauge during the second inspection. I was happy to find it varied from around 150-200 microns, which I think is a reasonable paint thickness. The horizontal surfaces tend to capture more paint (or were not sanded all the way down to metal). I didn't find any suspect thick spots, so that was a good thing!
Went over to the painter today ... looked at the test color of Ceylon ... loved it. this is a picture taken inside so the color looks a little off ... but looked perfect in the sunlight. i spent a little time taking a few more things apart to paint. on thursday the car goes to get the engine compartment cleaned to be prepped for painting
i will get the paint specs and publish it. from what my painter told me, the original ceylon Glasurit won't turn out correctly as some of the color components are changed / no longer available. Glasurit says it is not a perfect match for the original, only for a complete repaint, not for touch up.
i have a few more things to take apart - but hopefully we will be painting in a week or so.
I added a brake light flasher for the 3rd LED brake light I added last year. It gives 4 quick flashes, 4 slow flashes, and then stays steady. I live in the Southwest, which is snowbird heaven and I fear a rear-ending by un-attentive drivers. Works like a charm. I had a friend follow me and he said it definitely catches the eye.
Flasher is here: https://www.amazon.com/Purishion-St...548291484&sr=8-3&keywords=brake+light+flasher
Similar 3rd Brake Light (cannot find mine): https://www.amazon.com/Billet-Aluminum-Third-Brake-Light/dp/B01N6UZ1SQ
I mounted the 3rd brake light low on the rear deck. Very easy install.
Separate names with a comma.