Site Donor
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

E475D55F-87F3-4704-903C-D412095764FF.jpeg

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, not today, but a couple of days ago completed removal of heavy duty rear springs and Bilstein shocks. Installed OE springs and Koni shocks. Thanks to all the advice from several members of this forum, the procedure worked very well. Won't know the change in ride until spring. Now - fast forward to the front McPherson struts for similar changes this or next week.

Gary

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I installed thrust washers on the handbrake á la FAQ Grice's kit (he doesn't supply them anymore).
No "play", feels great!
IMG_2982.JPG
Thrustwasher1.jpeg
IMG_2987.JPG

Sourced the thrust washers in China on AliExpress for less than €2.00 with free shipping!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...864.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ae64c4d3QNtJ3
You want the AXK1730 17x30x4mm, and you need an M14x45 and M14 nylon locknut. (They can also be found on AliExpress.) About $20 for all parts; bolts/nuts come qty 3 pcs.
It takes them a month to ship, but it’s free! (That may be a Sino/Swiss trade thing, probably not the same for the US.)

Instructions for installation from Grice:
https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/130871-handbrake-upgrade-kits/

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the hanbrake cable adjustment, I believe you are supposed to have a second pair of 10mm nuts to lock the cable nuts in place?

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For the hanbrake cable adjustment, I believe you are supposed to have a second pair of 10mm nuts to lock the cable nuts in place?
Good eye, Steve, Yes, there are in fact two nuts needed to lock the brake adjustment. I guess I shot these before the final, final step!:rolleyes:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good luck, and good hunting!

That didn’t pan out unfortunately. What I meant to add was that I ran it over most of my car. The whole car has about .5mm of paint and whatever. There is one thick spot on the door, and both lower rear fenders in front of the rear arch. I need to cut this area out to do the rockers, so overall I’m happy with the result. My parts car had some very thick areas on the fender tops, but the front and rear seem good on the project car.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That didn’t pan out unfortunately. What I meant to add was that I ran it over most of my car. The whole car has about .5mm of paint and whatever. There is one thick spot on the door, and both lower rear fenders in front of the rear arch. I need to cut this area out to do the rockers, so overall I’m happy with the result. My parts car had some very thick areas on the fender tops, but the front and rear seem good on the project car.
I went over my car with a paint gauge during the second inspection. I was happy to find it varied from around 150-200 microns, which I think is a reasonable paint thickness. The horizontal surfaces tend to capture more paint (or were not sanded all the way down to metal). I didn't find any suspect thick spots, so that was a good thing!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went over to the painter today ... looked at the test color of Ceylon ... loved it. this is a picture taken inside so the color looks a little off ... but looked perfect in the sunlight. i spent a little time taking a few more things apart to paint. on thursday the car goes to get the engine compartment cleaned to be prepped for painting

i will get the paint specs and publish it. from what my painter told me, the original ceylon Glasurit won't turn out correctly as some of the color components are changed / no longer available. Glasurit says it is not a perfect match for the original, only for a complete repaint, not for touch up.

i have a few more things to take apart - but hopefully we will be painting in a week or so.

Attachments

• ceylon color test.jpg
    ceylon color test.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 231

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I added a brake light flasher for the 3rd LED brake light I added last year. It gives 4 quick flashes, 4 slow flashes, and then stays steady. I live in the Southwest, which is snowbird heaven and I fear a rear-ending by un-attentive drivers. Works like a charm. I had a friend follow me and he said it definitely catches the eye.

Flasher is here: https://www.amazon.com/Purishion-St...548291484&sr=8-3&keywords=brake+light+flasher

Similar 3rd Brake Light (cannot find mine): https://www.amazon.com/Billet-Aluminum-Third-Brake-Light/dp/B01N6UZ1SQ

I mounted the 3rd brake light low on the rear deck. Very easy install.

Rek

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of what it looks like fitted. I am tempted by this with the decreasing skills of UK drivers and congested roads.

I would love to see other examples too if anyone else has fitted one of these.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would love to see other examples too if anyone else has fitted one of these.

I used to make LED strip "Stealth 3rd Brake Lights." I made over 300 for Coupes & 2002s. Unfortunately my parts supplier is no longer in business.

Here's how to make one and install it.
The 3rd brake light is an LED strip 1 foot long Alpena 180°red with 60" of additional red & black wire soldered with heat shrink insulation at the joints. Then red & black alligator clips soldered to the wire ends. Then put little pieced of electrical tape around the wires to hold them together. It attaches to the upper center of the rear window seal with the wires run under the lip of the seal to a hole under the parcel shelf. Then under the white fender welting, under the gas tank trunk board to the brake light tab and ground on the passenger side tail light.

Need a soldering iron, flux, solder, Alpena LED, extension wires, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape and alligator clips or tap into brake light circuit and ground.

Alpena lights are available at Advance Auto Parts or on ebay. They come in 180° and side light red. 180s are for low angle roof lines, side lights for steep angles.They have white logos and cut lines which I color out with Industrial Grade Sharpie

I used to buy the extension wire, heat shrink tubing and alligator clips at Radio Shack.

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer.

3rd Brake Light 01.JPG
3rd Brake Light 02.JPG
3rd Brake Light 03.JPG
IMG_5475.JPG
IMG_5476.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG
IMG_5480.JPG
IMG_5481.JPG
IMG_5482.JPG
IMG_5483.JPG