What did you do to your E9 today?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let me know when you are ready to sell this one ! @vince

Thanks Stan!

It's the first car that I've ever gone to look at that was actually nicer than described, way nicer. Original Hellrot paint on all panels, beautiful interior, two year old top, and everything works perfectly. I was ecstatic when I saw it, it was so hard to maintain my composure when I was negotiating with the old owner about the price.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drove The Unicorn above the fog to Sattel... Blue Skies and Daylight! Downright spooky under that fog on the way back. Dark like the end of the world!
Sattel Nov. 25.2018 (2).jpg
Sattel Nov. 25.2018 (3).jpg
Sattel Nov. 25.2018 (6).jpg
Sattel Nov. 25.2018 (7).jpg
Sattel Nov. 25.2018 (9).jpg

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In a word, YES! It's interesting to drive compared to my Tii (which I finally got running well). I find it balanced, sure-footed, and surprisingly "torquey". I could not be more pleased and impressed.

I had the Tii on a romping run yesterday and really stretched its legs. It is fun, quick, and "buzzy".

With upgraded sway bars, The Unicorn corners flat and can really run up the revs quicker than I expected. I had planned to do an identical drive today to compare, but the fog was unbelievable, so it was a much shorter, more conservative run. I have a new-found respect for fog lights!

The biggest difference is the tranny. It's as if this tranny was built for two speeds... slow and FAST. 1st and 2nd gears have ratios like a tractor; as long as you don't want to go more than 30-40 miles an hour, they're great (or maybe I just need to wind up 2nd more?). 3rd gear is phenomenal... I just stay in it most of the time, as I'm climbing up and down winding roads. There's plenty of torque there so it pulls easily. I only have a few hours behind the wheel so I'm still working out the dynamics of the 3rd to 2nd gear downshifts.
4th gear is good on the long stretches and OK on the highway, I've had it out for about an hour of highway driving, and I have to admit to reaching for the stick to shift it into 5th, but it's cool, around 3,000rpm at 130km/hr (80mph), which is just above the 120km/hour limit. Took it up to 150kms/hr (93mph) just to feel what it's like, but with only about 500 miles on the rebuilt motor, I am taking it easy.

I have a Metric Mechanic Getrag 235 5-speed OD in the Tii. While I seldom use 5th gear, I find the balance between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears is easier to manage.

My wife asked me the other day if I was having her "new shoes" experience... When she gets a new pair of shoes, she doesn't want to wear the old ones anymore!
Definitely not in my case. I had a great time in the Tii yesterday, overjoyed that it is finally "singing" like it should.
The "cool factor" is just icing on the cake with the E9; it's a great ride in every respect, and an absolutely gorgeous car. With the happy Inka Tii, everybody smiles... with the Turkis E9 they reach for their cameras! :cool:

The inspector almost failed me for my new stainless steel exhaust on The Unicorn. It roars! :D

DSC_0034 - Copy.JPG

coupelady

Reaction score
Did you find a new master cylinder? I would be interested to know, as this is the next project. Some fluid loss.....

Today the passenger side door was opened. Apparently the locking mechanism was jammed with gunk after 27 years (when the restoration was completed). The techs at Black Top Studio were super respectful of the old stuff and allowed me to look over their shoulder with a little help like please don't screwdriver up the silver door handle cap. All is well and not marked, the door closes well, sounds good - apparently there was some loose stuff there. I trust these folks as they do restorations only, have replaced the hood support and got the hood alignment done so nicely. They are located 40 miles east of Asheville, NC. Josh the tech who was lead on this R&R loves BMW's especially those with big engine swaps, he has done several for himself. It was a very good day, this worried me greatly so behind me now. Fresh StaBil and a full tank of gas was procured for the several month sleep.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

coupelady

Reaction score
THANK YOU Scott! I figure something else must be seeping too as brake fluid is so corrosive. This is a great start.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
THANK YOU Scott! I figure something else must be seeping too as brake fluid is so corrosive. This is a great start.
Yep, coupelady, although mine was no longer leaking obviously to the outside, I had more than an inch of brake fluid pooled inside the booster. It's worth taking a look.
The W&N replacement came with two sizes of rubber gaskets to accommodate different fittings.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drained the engine oil and the transmission oil. Refilled transmission with 50/50 Redline MTL and Amsoil synthetic Gl-4. Replaced the oil filter with a Mann filter and used Mobil 1 15W50 (I don't drive the car unless the temps are at least 50 degrees). Getting ready to start winter maintenance and modification projects.

Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Removed front US diving board bumper. Has to weigh 35lbs. Tried to remove the rear bumper but that is more difficult to do as a one man job. When I wrestle it off, my coupe will have had a 70lb diet. The rear bumper will be replaced with a CSL reproduction; the front will go bumperless.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Walter,
how about some pics. Did you buy this car recently, after selling your nice car in summer?
Removed front US diving board bumper. Has to weigh 35lbs. Tried to remove the rear bumper but that is more difficult to do as a one man job. When I wrestle it off, my coupe will have had a 70lb diet. The rear bumper will be replaced with a CSL reproduction; the front will go bumperless.

Keshav

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Walter,
how about some pics. Did you buy this car recently, after selling your nice car in summer?

Keshav

I’ve had this car for about four years. I owned two and figured out that I couldn’t drive them at the same time, and I didn’t have the garage space anymore either, so one had to go. The Sienna went to a good home in Colorado. The Polaris (originally Polaris, now an 80s era BMW grey) was something I bought to work on myself. The project has been on hold for a while but now that I have access to a good shop and tools, I will build it up before I break it down for paint and body. Putting a 3.5 motor in it with Weber 38/38, headers, and 123 ignition. Maybe a 5spd and an LSD if I can find one. I’ll build a thread under projects when I start.

coupelady

Reaction score
The clutch master has been on my mind. The burning question, is that available?