B4EBDF39-77DB-4CEF-B152-656FFCB7C805.jpeg
814B073B-AC0C-4237-BC61-ACD5C6A24BBF.jpeg
Front seats re stuffed with enhanced bolsters
Front grill seated correctly

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finally got to breathe some fresh air again, now it's time for pre-season service and overall inspection.
I'm generally not a fan of decals, but that looks really good. In great part because not only does the shape fit real nicely in the space above the belt line but the black matches that of the tires. So it ties the whole thing together nicely.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finished up the project of replacing F & R springs, changing F & R shocks from Bilstein to NOS Koni, installing all new front suspension bushings, and new steering centerlink. idler arm bushing and tie rods. Also rebuilt both front calipers. Did a 'somwhat' nearly accurate toe in alignment and anticipated going for a short drive to see what all these changes provided.

But - engine wouldn't start. Found I have no power to the FI pump when the starter motor is engaged. Applied external 12V to the pump, engine started immediately and ran like always. Disconnected the external power and engine died. SO - gotta' trace the lack of power and correct it before I can enjoy that ride!

Gary

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew - that's my best bet for the issue as well. Hope to address it soon, but not in the next day or two.

Bo - when I bought the car it had the stiffer springs and Bilstein shocks. I am not going to drive this car on racetracks, so didn't need the stiffest suspension. I've had lots of Koni shocks, and whenever I've had (or friends have had) Bilsteins, they always seemed a bit too harsh for what I want in a car like this. I'd had Koni's in my '73 CS back in the late '70's, with stock and really liked that combination then. So - shortly after I bought this car I started the search for NOS Koni shocks, and when I found a set I bought them. Unexpected health issues kept me from getting to the job of removing parts and installing the OE level springs and the Koni's until late this winter/early spring. Have all 4 set at 1/2 turn from full soft.

Gary

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interesting analogy Gary ... back in the day, i used to use Koni most of the time. i like that they were quasi adjustable ... then i got a 2002 that had bilsteins (not the sports) and it was so much more comfortable, it was somewhat cushy on the straights but would tighten up in the corners. my last 2002 had bilstein sports with sport springs to mate up with the super-tweaked engine. it drove like it was on rails, but it would knock your fillings out on harsh bumps / potholes.

nealf

Reaction score
Hello- Recently my horns stopped working. Checked wiring, fuses, and relay; all good.
Sourced a set of dual Hella’s and installed yesterday...what a huge difference!! I guess I was on one horn for the entire ownership of my car (2005-present)...never realized the anemic sounds were not normal. Now I want to go out and blow the horn at people just for fun!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brief followup on the non-functioning fuel pump noted above.

In tracing the wiring from the pump back to the front of the car, so I could identify the correct relay, I discovered that the engine modifier had installed a male/female connection in the 12V+ wire to the fuel pump in the area below where the left rear window retracts. This connection had become separated (probably the result of some other stuff I'd done in that area this winter!!). Re-connected, turned the switch to start and VROOOM, just like it is supposed to work.

Problem totally created by the clumsiness on this old (very old) shade tree mechanic!!

Gary

Last edited:

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Had mine on display after the restoration. Folks loved it.

Attachments

• 35C8AC66-1190-44EB-AEA6-AE18B55F8E1F.jpeg
    35C8AC66-1190-44EB-AEA6-AE18B55F8E1F.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 9A736C0F-3D43-46A5-A090-C690A2FEA6A3.jpeg
    9A736C0F-3D43-46A5-A090-C690A2FEA6A3.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 4F507542-4ACC-4FDD-955E-15CA2E5B3D91.jpeg
    4F507542-4ACC-4FDD-955E-15CA2E5B3D91.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 325
  • AA651BDB-C577-4F3F-9D5A-02186325FBBC.jpeg
    AA651BDB-C577-4F3F-9D5A-02186325FBBC.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 343

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In tracing the wiring from the pump back to the front of the car, so I could identify the correct relay,
Gary,
Good trouble-shooting!
All,
I have good general information on the D-Jet system from that great site "Dr. D-Jet", but no wiring diagrams specific to the E9.
The wiring diagram for the CSi and Prospero's Garage show the body/motor electrical, but not the EFI system.
Do E9 EFI wiring diagrams exist?
Where is the FI pump relay located?
Thanks,
Tom

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I replaced the shorted out Becker amplifier box under the passenger footwell carpet (which was blowing fuses) with a used one off eBay. Then yanked the bluetooth setup in favor of an iPhone lighning cord that will allow me to play music through the Becker and charge at the same time, and it sounds better, easily hidden, and no longer occupies the cigar lighter with its modern eyesore. After I buttoned the shift console and window switches all up it works great but now the electric antenna won't go all the way down! Always something with the car gods!