WOW?!

CSfan

Reaction score
I keep in mind these are 35+ year candidates for my choosing. With this information age I done my research over and over again. Again let me reiterate I come from a Porsche back ground. I am not going to list the cars that I owned etc. etc. We are on the world wide web. Doesn't matter.

But what I can tell you is this. 95 E36 crash! 88 E30 M3 crash! 91 E30 M3 crash. My youthful days as an BMW enthusiast is long and gone. I know the M kind way to well. Nice cars but the badge does not out weigh the "hype"

I completely join the "religion", cult again when the e46 M came out. Pre- ordered my E46 M3. Car was a piece of SHIT! Had to go to court and file "lemon laws" against the dealership. (Engine blow up on me)

Porsche was always been my "sibling rivalry" Younger brother always talk trash about my M cars. He lent me one of his older Porsche to drive around and I was amaze. I was litterer trying to blow up the engine around corners off ramp etc etc.

15+ years has past. The CS I remember has always been a symbol of cool,reliable but somewhat rusty for its age. I've continue to enjoy Porsche but want to relive part of my mid age obsession with BMW.

And to come across people that just think I just woke up yesterday and called on a CS on criagslist(maybe I call griagslist for other reason but that's a differnt board and differnt topic). That's not me! I think when you type into any search box "BMW CS" "Porsche 911S " If everyone can agree your a special breed. It's not like one morning you woke up and just automatically type these words are looking for your next project.

I've done my search. For reasons I can't explain the CS beast price range is all over the board. And please don't give the old cliche of "the car is worth what the potential owners pays for it". That's a bunch of BS.

I just don't understand the price range for the CS. But I have read all replies and I guess ... buy a car and fix it up to your budget specs and enjoy it! I want to become a "CS" but it's hard!!

Thanks!

CSfan

Reaction score
I keep in mind these are 35+ year candidates for my choosing. With this information age I done my research over and over again. Again let me reiterate I come from a Porsche back ground. I am not going to list the cars that I owned etc. etc. We are on the world wide web. Doesn't matter.

But what I can tell you is this. 95 E36 crash! 88 E30 M3 crash! 91 E30 M3 crash. My youthful days as an BMW enthusiast is long and gone. I know the M kind way to well. Nice cars but the badge does not out weigh the "hype"

I completely join the "religion", cult again when the e46 M came out. Pre- ordered my E46 M3. Car was a piece of SHIT! Had to go to court and file "lemon laws" against the dealership. (Engine blow up on me)

Porsche was always been my "sibling rivalry" Younger brother always talk trash about my M cars. He lent me one of his older Porsche to drive around and I was amaze. I was litterer trying to blow up the engine around corners off ramp etc etc.

15+ years has past. The CS I remember has always been a symbol of cool,reliable but somewhat rusty for its age. I've continue to enjoy Porsche but want to relive part of my mid age obsession with BMW.

And to come across people that just think I just woke up yesterday and called on a CS on criagslist(maybe I call griagslist for other reason but that's a differnt board and differnt topic). That's not me! I think when you type into any search box "BMW CS" "Porsche 911S " If everyone can agree your a special breed. It's not like one morning you woke up and just automatically type these words are looking for your next project.

I've done my search. For reasons I can't explain the CS beast price range is all over the board. And please don't give the old cliche of "the car is worth what the potential owners pays for it". That's a bunch of BS.

I just don't understand the price range for the CS. But I have read all replies and I guess ... buy a car and fix it up to your budget specs and enjoy it! I want to become a "CS" but it's hard!!

Thanks!

Stefan67

Reaction score
Just another chime in

Your experiences are what you make of them. 20 years ago I bought a porsche 356 that was a piece of crap and got lied too plenty by the PO. I sold it for 6K and cut my losses.

2 Years ago I bought an "ok" CS for $7,500 and it has turned out to be a great, well represented car that I got for probably less than I should have. Is it rusty, flawed and have I put $$$ in it....yes, yes, and yes. Has it been a great time...yes.

So shut up, buy a car that suits you and get on with it. It's no fun to stand on the side line bitching, it takes too much energy.

Stefan67

Reaction score
Just another chime in

Your experiences are what you make of them. 20 years ago I bought a porsche 356 that was a piece of crap and got lied too plenty by the PO. I sold it for 6K and cut my losses.

2 Years ago I bought an "ok" CS for $7,500 and it has turned out to be a great, well represented car that I got for probably less than I should have. Is it rusty, flawed and have I put $$$ in it....yes, yes, and yes. Has it been a great time...yes.

So shut up, buy a car that suits you and get on with it. It's no fun to stand on the side line bitching, it takes too much energy.

CSfan

Reaction score
Re: Just another chime in

Stefan67 said:

7500. wow! and put $$$. ok. thanks! that answer all my questions. and i'll shut up. sorry :roll:

CSfan

Reaction score

Stefan67 said:

7500. wow! and put $$$. ok. thanks! that answer all my questions. and i'll shut up. sorry :roll:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

CSfan said:

If you've done your research you shouldn't be surprised at prices being "all over the place". Name a classic or collector car that doesn't have asking prices all over the place? Its the nature of old cars that get used for fun and change hands a lot. LOTS of different owners, from enthusiasts to the guy who knows nothing about the car. You say a good CS at a good price is hard to find. I agree. If your priority is a good deal versus a great car, you may never find one.

The Porsche vs BMW is hard to comment on since I've never really driven a Porsche. I've driven plenty of BMW's on the track and have always been amazed at how well the M's handle and how predictable they are, and even though I've never driven a Porsche on the track, they seem to be an extremely popular track car.

Dan

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

CSfan said:

If you've done your research you shouldn't be surprised at prices being "all over the place". Name a classic or collector car that doesn't have asking prices all over the place? Its the nature of old cars that get used for fun and change hands a lot. LOTS of different owners, from enthusiasts to the guy who knows nothing about the car. You say a good CS at a good price is hard to find. I agree. If your priority is a good deal versus a great car, you may never find one.

The Porsche vs BMW is hard to comment on since I've never really driven a Porsche. I've driven plenty of BMW's on the track and have always been amazed at how well the M's handle and how predictable they are, and even though I've never driven a Porsche on the track, they seem to be an extremely popular track car.

Dan

Upset99

Reaction score
Restoration Costs

The problem is that Restoration Costs have gone thru the roof. $82k???? The seller must know or should have known that he could only recover a portion of his investment IF he sold. Of course, there are cars out there that you can invest $82K on and still get a return on your invesment, but our cars is not one of them.

On the other hand, we really dont what this seller is thinking. Maybe he just wants people to call knowing that his car is in great shape..or should be. Some people want great deals off the asking price?

Remember this is the Law of Supply and Demand. It is obvious that shop mechanics and body men hourly rates must be really high in certain areas. If demand slackens, I GUARANTEE they will reduce their prices.

How many good mechanics and body men have been let go by GM and Chrysler?

We are lucky, any good mechanic can work on our cars. In fact, my mechanic LOVES to work on my car. It is simple. Some of us just needs to do a better job of negotiating with our mechanics/body men when it comes time for restoration or major work. Get ready to walk away and believe me, they will change their minds.

We are lucky in reality. Our mechanical parts are very cheap and easy to come by. We may not like the prices for body/interior parts but they are still less than Porsche or worse....Ferrari or Maserati. Trust me on this one.

Upset99

Reaction score
Restoration Costs

The problem is that Restoration Costs have gone thru the roof. $82k???? The seller must know or should have known that he could only recover a portion of his investment IF he sold. Of course, there are cars out there that you can invest $82K on and still get a return on your invesment, but our cars is not one of them.

On the other hand, we really dont what this seller is thinking. Maybe he just wants people to call knowing that his car is in great shape..or should be. Some people want great deals off the asking price?

Remember this is the Law of Supply and Demand. It is obvious that shop mechanics and body men hourly rates must be really high in certain areas. If demand slackens, I GUARANTEE they will reduce their prices.

How many good mechanics and body men have been let go by GM and Chrysler?

We are lucky, any good mechanic can work on our cars. In fact, my mechanic LOVES to work on my car. It is simple. Some of us just needs to do a better job of negotiating with our mechanics/body men when it comes time for restoration or major work. Get ready to walk away and believe me, they will change their minds.

We are lucky in reality. Our mechanical parts are very cheap and easy to come by. We may not like the prices for body/interior parts but they are still less than Porsche or worse....Ferrari or Maserati. Trust me on this one.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The poor seller listed 55k O.B.O. Just make him an offer and he'll take the best one.

I agree with Upset99 on the restoration costs driving price differentials. The workers we see in the 1972 Karmann assembly line pictures on another thread were probably making $40/hour of today. That was the peak of foreign labor being brought into Germany, an in particular the automotive industry. The paradox is we went from top of the line cars assembled by relative low wage workers then, to either thorough DIY owners or top professionals restoring cars that have low unrestored prices.

Karmann USA has seen this paradox and is offering restoration services for the VW Karmann Ghia. Maybe they should do E9 Coupes next.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The poor seller listed 55k O.B.O. Just make him an offer and he'll take the best one.

I agree with Upset99 on the restoration costs driving price differentials. The workers we see in the 1972 Karmann assembly line pictures on another thread were probably making $40/hour of today. That was the peak of foreign labor being brought into Germany, an in particular the automotive industry. The paradox is we went from top of the line cars assembled by relative low wage workers then, to either thorough DIY owners or top professionals restoring cars that have low unrestored prices.

Karmann USA has seen this paradox and is offering restoration services for the VW Karmann Ghia. Maybe they should do E9 Coupes next.

shanon

Reaction score
If you want a coupe, get one you can deal with, get busy, bleed a bit, and learn a few things. Its part of the vintage car experience. And it might become priceless when you (now a CSer) are done (relative term) and enjoying that first of many Sunday drives.

As for Karman USA, if they or BMW start doing what Mercedes and Ferrari offer as factory 'refreshing' etc on old models. I'd go in a heart beat for some tasks and fly their flag high...and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt a coupe's overall resale value. You may not get all you tokens back, but piece of mind of a job right or better can be priceless too.

Gee, maybe if we make enough noise... :wink:

-shanon

shanon

Reaction score
If you want a coupe, get one you can deal with, get busy, bleed a bit, and learn a few things. Its part of the vintage car experience. And it might become priceless when you (now a CSer) are done (relative term) and enjoying that first of many Sunday drives.

As for Karman USA, if they or BMW start doing what Mercedes and Ferrari offer as factory 'refreshing' etc on old models. I'd go in a heart beat for some tasks and fly their flag high...and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt a coupe's overall resale value. You may not get all you tokens back, but piece of mind of a job right or better can be priceless too.

Gee, maybe if we make enough noise... :wink:

-shanon

pj

Reaction score
csfan, hopefully we will not read e9Crash in future posts, how on earth did you wreck 2 e30 m3s and a e36 they are so pedictable and honest I would lay the blame on driver error or over exuberance . The e46 m3 is one of the all time greats now either you got unlucky with one or were neglegent in some manner your not telling about. There are plenty of e30 m3, e36 m3 and e46 m3s screaming aroud tracks,autocrosses and country roads making their owners grin like schoolgirls .Hell I can get around Laguna seca in my 95 e36 m3 a few seconds slower than a new m(1:50 /new m 1;46)and thats with 130k on the clock . M's are great cars ,they have far more ability than 95% of their drivers.

pj

Reaction score
csfan, hopefully we will not read e9Crash in future posts, how on earth did you wreck 2 e30 m3s and a e36 they are so pedictable and honest I would lay the blame on driver error or over exuberance . The e46 m3 is one of the all time greats now either you got unlucky with one or were neglegent in some manner your not telling about. There are plenty of e30 m3, e36 m3 and e46 m3s screaming aroud tracks,autocrosses and country roads making their owners grin like schoolgirls .Hell I can get around Laguna seca in my 95 e36 m3 a few seconds slower than a new m(1:50 /new m 1;46)and thats with 130k on the clock . M's are great cars ,they have far more ability than 95% of their drivers.

whalem6

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow

Word to pj, dude cs fan I would rather you not buy a cs you will just destroy it I would rather see them last a little longer. On the other hand you will help us limit the number still available, increasing the value of ours. No matter what you do good luck and thank you. Tom

whalem6

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow

Word to pj, dude cs fan I would rather you not buy a cs you will just destroy it I would rather see them last a little longer. On the other hand you will help us limit the number still available, increasing the value of ours. No matter what you do good luck and thank you. Tom

CSfan

Reaction score
pj said:

This was a early issue for the E46 M3.

http://www.mbmw.com/e46_m3_engine_failure.htm

CSfan

Reaction score
pj said:

This was a early issue for the E46 M3.

http://www.mbmw.com/e46_m3_engine_failure.htm