The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think we all need to be concerned for other’s safety including our own.
agreed, within reasonable limits however. I don't think it is reasonable to believe that the one biker i pass will need to see my eyes and thus will get into an accident. It is up to me as the driver to ensure I don't hit bikers. I haven't come close in 37 years, and see no reason why it would change.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s not for when you are driving down the road, it happens when someone pulls out from a side street, doesn’t see the bicyclist and the rider doesn’t know if he has been seen.

I guess I won’t be following this thread anymore.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s not for when you are driving down the road, it happens when someone pulls out from a side street, doesn’t see the bicyclist and the rider doesn’t know if he has been seen.

I guess I won’t be following this thread anymore.
I really don’t understand how slightly tinted windows makes me an unsafe driver or the of that, but to each his own. Wow

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,
a light tint on the side windows won't turn a good driver into a bad one. A good driver will be aware that his vision at night or dusk is now impaired and will compensate by being extra super duper careful. It's the bad drivers for whom a tint will put someone at risk.

Scott, Perhaps Chris has a legitimate axe to grind (as do I) regarding drivers who don't see cyclists.

My personal take on stuff like this is as follows. I drive a few old cars where braking performance is dramatically worse than any modern car. One could argue that I am driving a safety impaired car because of the abysmal braking performance. But, rather than upgrade to discs and sticky ultra-high performance tires, I compensate by driving with vastly more braking distance and I more conservatively anticipate bone-head moves by other drivers that would require me to emergency brake. More than once this has saved me from t-boning an idiot who makes a left turn in front of me while holding a cellphone to her ear. The point is, just be aware of changes you've made to your car and compensate with how you drive.

Chris will probably come back if you admit that a tint makes the CAR less safe (not you).

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,
a light tint on the side windows won't turn a good driver into a bad one. A good driver will be aware that his vision at night or dusk is now impaired and will compensate by being extra super duper careful. It's the bad drivers for whom a tint will put someone at risk.

Scott, Perhaps Chris has a legitimate axe to grind (as do I) regarding drivers who don't see cyclists.

My personal take on stuff like this is as follows. I drive a few old cars where braking performance is dramatically worse than any modern car. One could argue that I am driving a safety impaired car because of the abysmal braking performance. But, rather than upgrade to discs and sticky ultra-high performance tires, I compensate by driving with vastly more braking distance and I more conservatively anticipate bone-head moves by other drivers that would require me to emergency brake. More than once this has saved me from t-boning an idiot who makes a left turn in front of me while holding a cellphone to her ear. The point is, just be aware of changes you've made to your car and compensate with how you drive.

Chris will probably come back if you admit that a tint makes the CAR less safe (not you).

Agreed on all points. Moving on.

To be clear, I take exceptional measures to ensure I am driving safely. I learned many of my driver skills from drivers education courses with Porsche and BMW on some of the best tracks in the country.

The best way to avoid an accident is always to be anticipating one including making adjustments for your equipment. I was “racing” at a time when ABS brakes were just being introduced and you weren’t sure which car in front of you had them and which one you had to rely on the skills of the driver.

Chris has been extraordinarily helpful in this thread and I truly appreciate his help and his friendship. In fact, he has been really helpful to me personally ever since I got my coupe.

For that I truly appreciate it.

All is forgotten as far as I am concerned. Chris, I hope you come back to the thread and get to the end of my restoration. Thanks for all of your help to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow ... that's all i can say. this discussion has gone off the deep end.

in georgia you are not allowed to have tint beyond 35%. this is primarily a police safety issue - so that if a cop is approaching a car they can see what is going on inside. it has other benefits as well - all of them safety based for all considered. from a heat-gain aspect, there are basically clear tints today that do a better job slowing down solar radiation into the interior than most of the dark tints back in the day. ignoring a law in your state is done so at your own peril. that being said, your state might have different laws.

i have never thought tint looks good on a coupe, in fact my black coupe has tint on it and i just bought a new rear windshield so it can disappear and not return. the tint will also be stripped off of the other windows. putting tint on a rear windshield with a vintage rear window defroster, taking the tint off will destroy the defroster.

its okay to do what you want and like - if its legal. remember safety laws change - especially after somebody is injured. this is what happened in georgia and why we now have the no heavy tint laws. if you get stopped with heavy tint you have 30 days to get it fixed. think about radar detectors, some people really believe in their right to have and use one ... go ahead and drive into the state of virginia with one - you will get a painful education. the important thing i get from Chris' discussion is that we all have some responsibility for our actions ... and in big cities other drivers can't always read your mind and know what you are going to do. if they can see you looking around to change lanes, they will either give you some room OR close up the gap to keep you from moving.

my 2 cents worth. i also highly recommend waiting after painting to put trim on as well as to use the spacers for the belt trim ... and not over-tighening them.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just sent this to Benny:

Benny,

Now that the car is painted and May 15th is fast approaching, I thought I would summarize a few outstanding items to get clarity. Let’s get together this week and discuss.

• Completion Date: We agreed on May 15, but love to pick up on the 14th to head to Las Vegas, but let me know if you feel this is still doable, or if you need more time for the belt trim issues.

• Final Payment: Let me know what the balance is. I believe that the last invoice showed everything other than costs to paint interior of engine and trunk, reinforcing shock towers, shining up the chrome/aluminum. Let me know if I am missing anything (see below), and if you can approximate those costs now.

• Wood: I call Russ Bork every day. I am getting nervous about this but hope he comes through. I will keep you advised. Need to deal with the black vinyl? I may ask you to call him. When do you need this in hand to ensure no delays?

• Misc:

• Squirt rust prevention throughout. Before covering holes, let me shoot internal video.

• Need new lights in the instrumentation, e.g. bright light indicator. I have not mentioned this to Gary yet. I’m told it is easy, but wanted to run by you.

• Install new brake rotors/pads I ordered. Gary said existing pads/rotors not spent yet but close. Confirm if you think I should just replace now or later.

• Will need to be aligned once done. Should we arrange through Schwab?

• Belt Trim concerns: make sure you use the spacers/shims provided. Do you need to wait or do you feel we can install right before I hit the road?

• Get the headrests moving properly up and down.

• Confirm carbs are tuned for altitude. Gary said he could do this. It was tuned before it arrived, but may appreciate confirmation.

• Sound-proofing material for engine compartment? I could not find this available but can cut ourselves I believe.

• Decide whether to drive away with front bumper or not and show me how to do myself.

Let me know when it would be worth visiting to see any more progress. I am so excited.

Scott

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Frankly, with a black car, not sure I need this at all. How much do they really do, or could I do later or not at all?
Aside from aesthetic originality, these shields do a fair amount regarding both heat and acoustics between the engine bay and the cabin. I can't speak to the availability of doing it at a later date, but I think the engine would have to come out again.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Aside from aesthetic originality, these shields do a fair amount regarding both heat and acoustics between the engine bay and the cabin. I can't speak to the availability of doing it at a later date, but I think the engine would have to come out again.

I don't believe we intend to take engine out to repaint, since not changing color and it is black.
since not available, can't we just buy material locally?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yikes ... i was getting ready to order the firewall insulation from Chris. this needs to go in before my engine goes in (after paint).
i think you need the sound insulation ... every little bit helps. the material can be bought domestically - thru BMW or 3M has almost the exact material (my painter had some in his shop and showed it to me. i think i have some that was removed from another car ... i will see if i can trace it and make PDF patterns to post.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't believe we intend to take engine out to repaint, since not changing color and it is black.
since not available, can't we just buy material locally?
Functionally, I would suggest yes. But I know that the originality aspect would be taken down a notch (or several). I am not sure the "original" material is even available for the e9 - only reproduction pieces that are "close", or branded material that can be cut/bent/formed similar.?. So that may affect this decision as well.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
yikes ... i was getting ready to order the firewall insulation from Chris. this needs to go in before my engine goes in (after paint).
i think you need the sound insulation ... every little bit helps. the material can be bought domestically - thru BMW or 3M has almost the exact material (my painter had some in his shop and showed it to me. i think i have some that was removed from another car ... i will see if i can trace it and make PDF patterns to post.

Let me know if you have the pattern to post yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.