Raven gets a new nest

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You know that I'd love to have you all over to inaugurate the garage. However - and I am not kidding - the garage is actually nicer than my house which is a dump. So I don't know that I want to admit to living there. That's kind of why I showed the other house first - to better represent what I would live in but for the geography of our lives right now. :D Maybe we should put a bathroom in the garage so no body has to go inside the house - ha ha.

Cobbler’s children have no shoes...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been resisting posting updates until there has been some significant change. Well this week we have just that. But first, some thoughts.

I'm still waiting for the city to close out the building and electrical permits. We've already received final approval on the building, but the electrical permit must be closed before the building permit closes out. The electrical inspector, who was extremely thorough, caught something that the electrician should have done/provided. It took almost two weeks for the electrician to come out and fix. There are great stories associated with this that should only be shared over cocktails. I also continue to find/reinforce some things that the builder should have done - or should have done better. Over time, we'll get there.

For the floor, I called in a favor from a decorative concrete company. Monday and Tuesday they were here grinding the floor. And today they are putting an industrial 2-part urethane finish on the floor. And let me tell you, WOW! Here's a pic with the first of two coats. They are out there putting the second coat on now, which will have "sharkgrip" mixed in with it. This is a virtually invisible texture that provides a great deal of slip resistance.
View attachment 85507

I was expecting green and gold with a big huge G in the middle of the floor!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's probably not as bad as these photos suggest, but this is what happens when you have your floor done with "favor" pricing. He said he'd "buff them out", but I don't that is a real thing here. They put the second coat on a bit too soon, and the first coat was still tacky. He ended up in his socks in an attempt to not mar the surface. But towards the end his socks were sticking more and more. It's kind of funny, really.
20200130-footprint 1.jpg20200130-footprint 2.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
He ended up in his socks in an attempt to not mar the surface. But towards the end his socks were sticking more and more. It's kind of funny, really.

Really? He's a pro at this? Maybe the smell has cost him too many braincells.

Golf shoes with metal cleats. Keeps you right above the floor and the new product will fill in the little spots disturbed by the cleats.

A friend had his garage floor done with the whole epoxy and multicolored flakes. It took over a month for the organic vapors to dissipate though he didn't leave it open for very long.

Oh well. The floor will work just fine even with some foot prints. Just call it "Custom" and if anyone mentions it, tell them it is the signature of the artist.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really? He's a pro at this? Maybe the smell has cost him too many braincells.
And this is why I end up (and enjoy) doing my own work myself. The garage was too big a box for me to build with any reasonable schedule expectation. But this floor issue reinforces what I see on our project sites every day. I don't have words to express my true feelings on this.

Dohn

Reaction score
And this is why I end up (and enjoy) doing my own work myself. The garage was too big a box for me to build with any reasonable schedule expectation. But this floor issue reinforces what I see on our project sites every day. I don't have words to express my true feelings on this.

Oh, I'm sure you could come up with some words...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Floors are easy to screw up. My spiked shoes didn’t come on time. I missed a few strips of clear and never applied them. You can’t really see them but it really bothered me at the time. Not as much as my crappy flake application though. Still looks good, and will hopefully be a bedroom, office, and laundry room in the next few years. :D

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I sympathize Stephen. We all chase perfection, and I agree, sock prints or similar are not what you wanted. But in a project this size, we all make some compromises and, more importantly, assumptions. Like the quality of a "favour" job equals that in a full price deal. Never happens. But really, you have a great structure that will soon be filled with much more important stuff and the "prints" will quickly fade into "the most interesting story of the 'Nest build" . Put together a slide show/power point /or similar of the choreography needed to complete this new building that will house your hobby and project, and the "feet" will disappear into the many "steps" needed to guide this project home. ;) Mike

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn, Stephen, you have a higher "reaction score" than sfdon!

I'm not even sure what a "reaction score" is, but I would parade that trophy every chance I get if I were you...

Note to self: Need to start building a new garage asap.
Well, I like to think I contribute some actual information from time to time. But I think everyone knows that the garage project is anecdotal at best - a mere cast member in my e9 restoration journey. sfdon contributes real, beneficial knowledge and information - so there is no true comparison. ;)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn, Stephen, you have a higher "reaction score" than sfdon!
one thing to keep in mind is that both Stephen AND Don give out a lot of 'likes' which are the basis of other people's reaction scores. they both also hand out a ton of helpful info and encouragement ... which is all well received

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
one thing to keep in mind is that both Stephen AND Don give out a lot of 'likes' which are the basis of the reaction scores. they both also hand out a ton of helpful info and encouragement ... which is all well received

I figured that the reaction score was due to people hoarding “likes”, and spending too much time on the internet, and not enough time turning wrenches. :)

The interesting thing about the reaction score. All of the folks on the “leader board” either haven’t started their restoration, or have been done for years. It goes to show that we need to hand out more encouragement to the members that are currently in the trenches. :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hmmm .... ehrrr .... i've started my restoration, just haven't finished. but YES, we need to hand out lots of encouragement as its a daunting task ... that is very rewarding. i know this from seeing M5bb's coupe's recent restoration / improvement

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
hmmm .... ehrrr .... i've started my restoration, just haven't finished. but YES, we need to hand out lots of encouragement as its a daunting task ... that is very rewarding. i know this from seeing M5bb's coupe's recent restoration / improvement

I meant everyone but you of course. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one thing to keep in mind is that both Stephen AND Don give out a lot of 'likes' which are the basis of other people's reaction scores. they both also hand out a ton of helpful info and encouragement ... which is all well received
My focus on all things except actually beating metal panels aside... I like to think that the number is attributable to a few key events:
- my willingness to ask questions about things I don't know on the open forum (which I hope provides answers for others, too)
- my willingness to be open on this forum (I am usually a very private, reserved person - but, and I am serious when I say this, this forum has transformed my life)
- to Markos point, yes I like to "like" things I like - especially good info that helps with our restoration and maintenance efforts
- the Grille Badge Project, which I very much enjoyed and hope that it gave back a little bit to our amazing coupes worldwide
- and yes, the garage project which is a subject that a lot of folks seem to like following along with

One day, I look forward to sharing every panel patch, weld, bolt and stitch. And the backdrop will be familiar, as it will be raven's nest. :D