what mechanical works are you doing now that you are locked in your house

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve been restoring my camper trailer for a few years now but between work and family it’s difficult to get enough hours in on the weekends. I used this time to “finish” the trailer. Now I’m not supposed to go anywhere...this will pass.

View attachment 91140View attachment 91141View attachment 91142View attachment 91143View attachment 91144View attachment 91145
Is that Boler trailer? Spent a summer in Elliot lake, Ontario in one with one and only one 8 track tape that I went to sleep with each night. Summer of 78'. The 8 track tape was....Bad Company.
Probably should try that tonight at bedtime..... That and drink 6 beers

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Is that Boler trailer? Spent a summer in Elliot lake, Ontario in one with one and only one 8 track tape that I went to sleep with each night. Summer of 78'. The 8 track tape was....Bad Company.
Probably should try that tonight at bedtime..... That and drink 6 beers
Classic! Actually it’s a 74’ Perris Pacer. It’s nearly the same as a Boler, Scamp or Casita. I would love to install an 8 track in the Pacer! If I unearth a trove of tapes I will make that happen.

Bad Company and six beers is a solid combination. Six beers in and I’m looking for Mississippi Kid by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Keep my car keys till tomorrow...

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, super impressed with your fountain! I built something similar at our old house but with only one bubbler rock. It was a pain to clean it every spring, so I like what you did.

I installed this at our new house, it weights over 500lbs. Way easier as far as maintenance goes.

View attachment 91121
Hey, I like this! But actually sits in 3rd place after the Black Lab, and the E39 Touring! ;)

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pets are so important right now. Helping all of us cope. They are SO happy we are home, like, ALL the time. Get to be shadows right beside us and we are just there and they are happy. And we are happy.
Have to admit this has been a very tough week, lost our rescued Golden Retriever. 13 years old, 134 lbs, not a huge overweight, senior dog, just the largest most extreme-sized Golden Retriever my wife and I have ever seen. XXL! And my wife has raised a few families of Goldens so she knows this breed. He was bred for hauling loads up in northern BC. Had a chance to rescue him as well as a very sweet Black Lab/Chesapeake about 7 years ago. They have added so much to our lives. Lots of other losses out there at this time, we admit, but this one has us reeling. So your video of a happy Chocolate Lab gave us a smile! Thanks Vince.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Goldy. What could be better than a Giant one? I'm sure he was grateful to have been rescued.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Goldy. What could be better than a Giant one? I'm sure he was grateful to have been rescued.
Thank you Bob. Yes, he was a typical Golden Retriever. Grateful for every day, always smiling, up for anything! He was different in one way though, when Coyotes would move through the pasture some nights, and start their howling, he would join in! Incredible sound coming from "inside the house", like the phone call in some of those horror movies! Mike

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pets are so important right now. Helping all of us cope. They are SO happy we are home, like, ALL the time. Get to be shadows right beside us and we are just there and they are happy. And we are happy.
Have to admit this has been a very tough week, lost our rescued Golden Retriever. 13 years old, 134 lbs, not a huge overweight, senior dog, just the largest most extreme-sized Golden Retriever my wife and I have ever seen. XXL! And my wife has raised a few families of Goldens so she knows this breed. He was bred for hauling loads up in northern BC. Had a chance to rescue him as well as a very sweet Black Lab/Chesapeake about 7 years ago. They have added so much to our lives. Lots of other losses out there at this time, we admit, but this one has us reeling. So your video of a happy Chocolate Lab gave us a smile! Thanks Vince.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like he was a great dog! I broke down and cried in front of my whole family when we lost our 14 year chocolate lab - Hershery(in front of my coupe in my avatar). My daughters had never seen me that emotional before.

They do bring so much joy into our lives. When we walk with Hazel off leash, she runs around like it's the greatest thing in world - just so happy. Just watching her puts me in a good mood.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I implemented a rule that I will no longer keep wood after my projects are done. I was amassing too much end cuts and savable stuff. Now I put it out for free. My wood is construction grade. I keep my cedar, which does take up a bit of space.
Sorry for the late reply - but I had to get a few photos to accompany the response. While I readily pitch construction lumber cut-offs, I do have a habit of keeping "good wood" Here's some photos of what I am storing at the house right now. The rack includes prefinished (by us) cedar for the house, about $3,000 worth of perfectly straight grained African mahogany that was ear marked for the wooden boat project, and other pieces from my luthier days. I may use some of the straight grained mahogany for the e9 dash and doors - we'll see...
20200425-wood storage.jpg
20200425-luthier wood.jpg
20200425-special cuts.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply - but I had to get a few photos to accompany the response. While I readily pitch construction lumber cut-offs, I do have a habit of keeping "good wood" Here's some photos of what I am storing at the house right now. The rack includes prefinished (by us) cedar for the house, about $3,000 worth of perfectly straight grained African mahogany that was ear marked for the wooden boat project, and other pieces from my luthier days. I may use some of the straight grained mahogany for the e9 dash and doors - we'll see...
View attachment 91276View attachment 91277View attachment 91278
I am doing some electrical work. Turning the dehumidifier lower. Flick of a switch.

Fredomatic

Reaction score
View attachment 91276View attachment 91277View attachment 91278
That's a serious wood collection! I love those exotic sheets. As a hobby carpenter, I always keep some wood if not all of the tails from a project. It's a problem. That said, it hurts more when I discard of those pieces then come to need that exact piece or two a month later...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pulled a bicycle out of the garbage across the street a few months ago. It was night time, a Black bike and winter. It was a very tall bike. From what I could see, it had completely flat tires, and the brakes were locked because the cables were so rusty. Brought it back to life over the last couple of days with the help of a product called Evaporust. This bike is extremely low mileage (i'd bet well under 100 miles from the looks of it). It is a Giant Sedona "Comfort" bike. Springed seat post, bolt upright riding position, Aluminum frame. Bought new brake cables and cleaned and de rusted a lot of the various pieces. It came out very nice. I could not even move a single chain link it was so rusty. The Evaporust brought this piece back to working perfectly. Took it for it's maiden ride last night and it was quite a pleasurable ride. Nimble, very comfortable and fun. Not great in a head wind. Just what I need, another bike! Still have to refinish the very rusty handle bars and one fork leg. The seat is pretty sun damaged.. just like me. This isn't my first garbage bike, I got my Son a Bianchi Grizzly about 5 years ago from down the street, which he learned to love once a bike aficionado pointed out it had some high end bits on it. Certainly my cheapest one to get back on the road. Something I truly enjoy about riding a thrown out bike.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200505_221203.jpg
    MVIMG_20200505_221203.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
“Pulled a bicycle out of the garbage across the street a few months ago. “

Think about how much carbon you saved by not letting it rust away in a dump and buying new bike. By driving really old
cars and spending $$ to keep them on the road I’m avoiding the greenhouse impact of disposing of used cars and mfg of new cars. It might be enough to offset the greater level of exhaust emissions (those with triple side drafts are the most guilty, followed by the selfish vintage racers who burn leases gas).

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not mechanical, but on the bike theme I've restored two bike lights where time and leaky batteries had destroyed the switches. Soldered on new switches, flowed a few corroded solder points, all good. Surprisingly pleasing!
On the skip theme, I rescued a very rusty wheel barrow from a builders skip, patched a few holes, rebuilt the axle "bearings" and fitted a new inner tube. Still not very mechanical, but good re-use
When I was a kid I always loved taking things apart, but was never very good at getting them back together again. The rebuild is the best bit!