1974 3.0 CS Electric

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't but pity the poor E9, buy an ugly Tesla and leave real cars for people who appreciate and love them.

#metoo
...buy a cat, kill the animal, get the fur, and place a sensitive robot inside,...lots of advantages, but it will not be a cat
when you do not see the e9 as a whole, you do not see it at all
my opinion dear philippe

jabloomf1230

Reaction score
5 years from now when all the gasoline stations are only selling hydrogen and electricity, I'm afraid that mane will have the last laugh on us. The days of the ICE car are rapidly drawing to close.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score

mane

Reaction score
Funny thing here is that I'm an OEM guy. I've had many BMWs and they've always been OEM. From 3 series to 7 series and 3 M-cars. Never switched "wrong" parts to them, not even rims. Always BMW original and parts meant for that car. When buying cars, never looked to ones that have been modified in any way.

I know the feeling when I see something off spec and probably horribly modified too. But I'm not going to them and saying that "hey you're doing it wrong...". That's just the way they like it.

My starting point was to do an electric conversion of some car, just for the learning and fun of it. I did not have E9 in mind at that point, but as I love BMWs I quickly ended up looking older BMWs ending up to the prettiest of them all, an E9. So I kinda had to leave my OEM boat even before buying the car.

I have huge respect for you guys who keep it OEM but also for the guys who are doing as they wish. Engine swaps, interior mods etc. After all, this is a hobby, not a religion.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Funny thing here is that I'm an OEM guy. I've had many BMWs and they've always been OEM. From 3 series to 7 series and 3 M-cars. Never switched "wrong" parts to them, not even rims. Always BMW original and parts meant for that car. When buying cars, never looked to ones that have been modified in any way.

I know the feeling when I see something off spec and probably horribly modified too. But I'm not going to them and saying that "hey you're doing it wrong...". That's just the way they like it.

My starting point was to do an electric conversion of some car, just for the learning and fun of it. I did not have E9 in mind at that point, but as I love BMWs I quickly ended up looking older BMWs ending up to the prettiest of them all, an E9. So I kinda had to leave my OEM boat even before buying the car.

I have huge respect for you guys who keep it OEM but also for the guys who are doing as they wish. Engine swaps, interior mods etc. After all, this is a hobby, not a religion.
Well said.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your workmanship is fantastic and I appreciate the amount of hours it takes to build something of that caliber. My car may have a gas engine, but has an equal amount of non OEM parts and its going to be just the way I want it. Lots of purists disagree with my build as well....good luck.

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
I missed this thread until now. Mane, you have a great project going there. Sorry you got beat up a little, but you had to know that was coming from the purists :) You set yourself up posting those photos of a VERY NICE looking car. It's a car that many of us would love to simply drive as-is. Of course we all know that under that paint was more rust than one can imagine, so it is great that you stripped it down.

I am just saying that if you would have posted some photos of a coupe that looked beyond coming back, then maybe the guys would say "Well, it was a lost cause anyway, so restomod it all you like". Just my two cents. I do love what Jabloomf said about one day ICE cars may be gone. Perhaps not even allowed on the roads on a regular basis. So maybe our Electric E9s will be the only ones you see out there!

Vanaedium

Reaction score
Bmw Cse front+ hellcat 2.jpg

Bmw Cse tail with led 5.jpg
Hi
I had the same idea and I guess it will be my big project for the next years to come. I love the aesthetics of the e9 but considering that I will not made a pure oem restoration but more a retromod, I thought about new design for the front lights and the tail lights with a led options. Here is my idea with my very poor photoshop skills: the front is based on dodge hellcat lights and the back just a rivisited bmw designs (fantasy but possible).View attachment 62852 . View attachment 62848

Last edited:

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mane
I would like to see and read more about your project to convert a CS to electric, please keep posting.
Wishing you all the best with the project and the thread!

mane

Reaction score
I got a preview picture from upholsterer. New door panels looking real nice. Can't wait to receive all these panels, rear seats and new Recaro ls-c front seats.
Ovipaneli.jpeg Ovipaneli2.jpeg

Car is still at metal shop for rust repairs. Latest estimate for all done, is Tuesday - next week. It's been ages since I've seen the car.. really excited to see it again.

Nick1224

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it, but what are you using to control the driver unit, battery management, and such?

Are you going to disassemblethe batter pack and mount them in the engine bay or try and mount them under the car in their original tray?

Very interesting idea you have here and looks like great progress on the body

mane

Reaction score
To control everything, plan is to have a raspberry pi and small screen. Or, some android based system head unit that can have some sort of can bus module installed.

Charger, bms and drive unit can be controlled by can messages. Probably need to develop own software for this.

Tesla’s battery tray is so big, that there is no way to mount that under that tiny coupe. Not sure if that would work even if the dimensions would match. Plan is to but the batteries to engine bay. It’s a big engine bay and when removing that steering box and brake mount, there’s plenty of good space.

Got a Honda S2000 electric rack (RHD), and plan is to fit that flipped around.

Car got a epoxy coating after metal work. But the replacement roof was a fail. They took a 5 series roof with sunroof. Everything went well before they welded sunroof shut with too heavy weld. It got too much heat, and bent the panel. So need to have another guy trying to fix that. Also couple other areas needing small fixes still.

E8CC9E82-2A56-4733-81BA-083559A271C3.jpeg BD163E4A-37C7-4ADD-B884-FA38BDE4B077.jpeg 939A8EA6-AC34-47A6-8273-62993969147C.jpeg 4CF8ED84-4FA3-4BB8-BAAD-C051AE136FEC.jpeg 82F77151-6827-43F2-9FD6-7E45DD900FE3.jpeg DA6741CD-AD89-4739-A7AC-044CF6FD9CBC.jpeg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got a Honda S2000 electric rack (RHD), and plan is to fit that flipped around.

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but flipping a traditional steering rack from RHD to LHD or vice versa, will make your car steer in the opposite way of how you turn the steering wheel :eek:

The car looks really good!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm missing something here, but flipping a traditional steering rack from RHD to LHD or vice versa, will make your car steer in the opposite way of how you turn the steering wheel :eek:

The car looks really good!
It's electrically controlled so it can be manipulated.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's electrically controlled so it can be manipulated.

Okay, but isn't a Honda S2000 rack still a mechanical rack, boosted by an electric motor on the rack itself? It still has the mechanical pinion/rack which would make it steer the wrong way if flipped, no?
Maybe it's going to sit in front of the axle instead of behind it?

mane

Reaction score
We need to modify it or attach it front of axle. Or having a gear and another column :) Let's see how it goes. Will report on that later.

I remember someone has done this to E21 rack, flipped RHD rack for E9.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
problem is our steering arms are behind the struts … most R&P have them in front. Push or pull give different wheel movement ...So yes, flipping a RHD R&P would give the right movement . We looked into it to build but it's not possible , the angle between R&P and steering column is to great.
Racers "can" do it as they have the firewall welded +200 mm more to the rear.