4310316 begins

restart

Reaction score
Does this restore your faith in the forum @restart?
Knock yourself out Markus. Faith? In a forum?Somebody’s offering something out of the garbage can?
This isn’t meant as any poke at SF Don. Or any of the real sincere posters here. I’m just sick of the ad hominem attacks. And then all the rush to justify and regroup.

restart

Reaction score
Alan doesn’t want to get rid of that motor. He wants to drive his car. I said right from the start I would approach it.
If he didn’t want the engine,He probably do better by auctioning the engine and buying whatever he needed.A couple of guys could swap in engine in that thing in a week and be driving it around for probably less than $2000. And then you could listen to 500 posts from mr.x on what to do with your engine? And where to put your stickers, and how to type your posts. Sorry guys

restart

Reaction score
If it was so simple cheap and quick, it would have been running years ago. Megasquirt tuning and what appears to be electrical issues take time and expertise. You don't find those down in the parking lot at Home Depot.
It hasn’t been simple it hasn’t been cheap and it hasn’t been quick because the person with the right expertise hasn’t looked at it. You do find these down at the Home Depot parking lot. They’re down there looking for tubes for the air filters.
Don would’ve had this weird thing running pretty quick. I would think he would’ve been the best guy to do it right in the beginning. At that point Alan probably could’ve afforded him. But now he’s gonna have to go to Bene ha ha.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
then you could listen to 500 posts from mr.x on what to do with your engine? And where to put your stickers, and how to type your posts. Sorry guys

I guess I’m still trying to determine your stance on these project threads…

Anyone can lurk on this forum. Anyone can join and ask questions or post parts for sale. Anyone can create a project thread. When you create a project thread, expect to have suggestions, critique, or full admiration. This thread is full of excellent suggestions that have been ignored. We saw the same behavior Scottevest’s thread but your response to said behavior was quite different. Are you fighting for the man or the process?

As a subscriber, if you don’t like to read the suggestions and opinions then don’t. As a poster, if you don’t like the feedback then don’t post build threads. Nobody has been overtly harsh on the OP. Everyone wants to see him succeed.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Knock yourself out Markus. Faith? In a forum?Somebody’s offering something out of the garbage can?
This isn’t meant as any poke at SF Don. Or any of the real sincere posters here. I’m just sick of the ad hominem attacks. And then all the rush to justify and regroup.
Au contraire, I think at least I have tried to create a skeptical interest atmosphere delivered through the language of banter. In my experience as a father that is what can work, or conversely, what does not work is:

1) Move aside, I will do it for you.
2) You are so smart, everything you do is right, if you set your mind to it you can do anything.
3) Ignoring the person and his quest.

I will be happy to go help, though at this time I am >10.000 miles away. I trust the car will be waiting for me by the time I am back in CA, and if it is already sorted out I will go with a cold keg instead of tools.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think a Ouija board would be a better solution
Sorry, but I'm reading all of the posts (many) and all of the words (many)- a lot of angst. But no solutions being brought to the table. I don't know that it is a legitimate argument to have a beef with everyone and everything but not have a solution to offer or provide. I believe Alan has the collective sympathy of this entire board. It appears everyone would love to see him arrive at a solution that would allow him to enjoy driving his car. But it also appears that no one is willing to donate five figures of effort to close the gap of a non running race S38 and gremlin wiring (possibly more?). I think @sfdon 's offer to provide a great motor and labor to make it work is more than fair and reasonable. Worth more than a currently non-running lump that will evidently never spin without a magician's effort. My 2 cents from the side lines. I'd encourage anyone in Alan's position to take Don up on his very generous offer.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm adding a comment right now that has nothing to do with Alan's project, and that's my point. IMO, taking the time to create a project thread and document a process as you go is something all the readers should not take for granted. It's a lot more work and we want to promote project posts because, well, they're cool for one thing and interesting, and educational. I don't go to a project threads to read a bunch of unrelated comments and I would expect any OP would get a little frustrated with that. The "Looks great!" or "Wow, I wish I was that talented", or even "Where did you get that part?" go right along with the subject, but if you're reading a ten year old thread there's a lot of content that doesn't make sense anymore, and it's all the banter.

Soap box put away now. Alan, keep at it!

Dan

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
SO THE TIME IS COMING UP SOON!!!
ARDE IS GOING TO STEP UP AND TAKE A LOOK AND SET IT UP
RIGHT AFER TAX TIME
IM VERY HOPEFUL THIS TIME WILL DO THE TRICK
I HAVE THE CAR APART IN A FEW PLACES THAT NEED TO BE
DONE
THE EXTERIOR WINDOW TRIM AND THE CHROME INSTEPS NEED TO BE RECHROMED
AND THE SUNROOF NEEDS TO BE SETUP FOR SOME REASON IT WONT CLOS ALL THE WAY
FINISH THE PAINT ON THE TOPOF THE FRONT FENDERS.
AND THE SPEEDO CHROME RING -PLATED AGAIN
GUESS ITS A GOOD TIME TO GET THOSE DONE AHEAD OF TIME
OK

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH MY CAR
I CAN COVER YOUR TIME WITH WHATEVER YOUR COST WOULD BE
I HAVE NO ONE TO HELP ME WITH THIS
I REALLY WANT TO DRIVE THE CAR ITS BEEN JUST SITTIN FOE THREE DAME
YEARS IF I CANT GET SOMEOME HERE TO HELP IL BE FORCED TO SELL IT AS IS AND
LOSE 30 K IN PRICE
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN
THANK YOIU

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH MY CAR
I CAN COVER YOUR TIME WITH WHATEVER YOUR COST WOULD BE
I HAVE NO ONE TO HELP ME WITH THIS
I REALLY WANT TO DRIVE THE CAR ITS BEEN JUST SITTIN FOE THREE DAME
YEARS IF I CANT GET SOMEOME HERE TO HELP IL BE FORCED TO SELL IT AS IS AND
LOSE 30 K IN PRICE
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN
THANK YOIU
I would love to help but I am to far from you.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I really feel for you Alan. I'm pretty sure if you go back over the last few pages of this thread there has been quite a lot of offers of support and advice on how to get you to the point that your car can be driven. From the comfort of my lounge on the other side of the globe it appears you haven't accepted what appears to be pretty sound advice or offers of support.

I totally get it, you have a mental image of driving your car, as you've imagined it for all this time, and there are a lot of sunk emotional and financial costs that have been racked up. I've total respect for you not wanting to compromise on your vision, but... It seems patently obvious there's an issue with your starter set up and with your wiring. Even if somebody were to get it to run for you would you be in a position to maintain it?

As has been said before ad infinitum, you have only three options.

1. Throw money at it and get an expert to fix. This may cost 10k but is probably small beer compared to the money/time and stress you've invested already.
2. Drop in a simpler (and tested) motor and wiring. From memory a member kindly offered you a motor for free and you didn't take up the offer.
3. Decide you don't need the stress in your life anymore and sell the car, or at least park up the project and come back to it fresh.

Please don't take this post as having a go at you, or your car, but I think on any objective analysis of this thread it's clear that members have offered an extraordinary level of advice/support but you rightly or wrongly elected to continue as you originally intended.