4310316 begins

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Erik , don't let you carry away.... this was sure a manner of speaking.
Years ago i advised him to put a M30 in it... but no , a racing engine :rolleyes:
With a M30 he would already have had the new paint up to a refresh.....

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You paid someone 3500 usd for putting a woodruff key in an axle?
I hope I understand that incorrectly.

A woodruff key, if I'm having my English terms correct is this thingy:
View attachment 130931
It's a 2 dollar component....

And to cut a slot in the axle of the alternator, I guess for holding the pully (?) should not cost 3498 USD i think.
View attachment 130932
It is not the easiest location to mill a slot in, but even a junior metal worker with a lathe with cross cutter will be able make this in 2-3 hours.
(by the way, the std alternator already has a woodruff key in it, why cut a new one? )
View attachment 130934

Allen, It's your money, of course you're free to spend it as you like.
But i am more then happy estimate reasonable prices for jobs you want to outsource.
(I do quite some metal work outsourcing for my company; NL/DE and US prices are not massively different)
IF I understand your job right ( which I likely don't), then you've been unfairly treated if they've charged you 3500 USD for this.
If you get a high quote on metal work next time, just ping me.
I suspect Bill Watson spent a fair amount of time peeling layers of the onion he was given. And as often happens, the scope that was required exceeded the scope that was discussed and a fracture formed. It is unfortunate, but not unique nor unexpected, I think.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
all the comments are greatly appreciated - yet all this has been gone over here at least three times as
the the master marcos will surely attest to.
he was suppost to take the take my information given below and start the car
but he went off on he own wild ideas of god only knows what
to check all this stuff that was already done - after he had the car for a month i finally got through
to him to meet and "go over progress"
when i got there the car was stuck in a corner of another bay .
when i pulled the cover off the car it was all dusty and the spark plugs and wires
were dusting siting in a pile-- asking him whats hes doing - he said he was checking compression ????
and putting in the stupid woodfruff key
. what else i said -he was checking the wire from the battery to the main and ignition relays
then he asked for another 3500 to keep going
at that point i told him i was suing him for the 3500 already paid
when he got the court order he gave me back 1500 which
was fine i just wanted the unit out of there
so here it sits
as per markos comment --- im pass the point of using engine hoists
and im not going to loose the opportunity of enjoying, hearing, and
feeling the power of the awesome m5 engine.
so i was lucky enuff to find logan -- and now it just a matter of time and money
to get it going
THERE WE STAND !!!!!!

Attachments

• LINK.jpg
    LINK.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 74

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
all the comments are greatly appreciated - yet all this has been gone over here at least three times as
the the master marcos will surely attest to.
he was suppost to take the take my information given below and start the car
but he went off on he own wild ideas of god only knows what
to check all this stuff that was already done - after he had the car for a month i finally got through
to him to meet and "go over progress"
when i got there the car was stuck in a corner of another bay .
when i pulled the cover off the car it was all dusty and the spark plugs and wires
were dusting siting in a pile-- asking him whats hes doing - he said he was checking compression ????
and putting in the stupid woodfruff key
. what else i said -he was checking the wire from the battery to the main and ignition relays
then he asked for another 3500 to keep going
at that point i told him i was suing him for the 3500 already paid
when he got the court order he gave me back 1500 which
was fine i just wanted the unit out of there
so here it sits
as per markos comment --- im pass the point of using engine hoists
and im not going to loose the opportunity of enjoying, hearing, and
feeling the power of the awesome m5 engine.
so i was lucky enuff to find logan -- and now it just a matter of time and money
to get it going
THERE WE STAND !!!!!!

Hmm lots of @Markos name drops! LOL. My car has been sitting in the garage for nearly 7 years also. I haven’t driven it in 403 days. Who am I to judge?

I’m not thrilled about the vendor critique but it’s your thread and your experiences. Your posts have implicitly highlighted that Bill received Pandora’s box. Even after you got the car back from him, you have headlights that don’t work, a fusebox without power, and dual battery setup that won’t spin an 11:1 motor (highly abnormal). The car had gremlins when it arrived at the shop, and will have gremlins when Logan gets to the point of initiating a tune. That is why I suggested that you keep an open mind when you engage and things spring up.

Gremlins are fine. You shoehorned a nice motor in there with a custom wiring harness and ECU. Just don’t point fingers if/when things don’t go your way. You have had plenty of time to tinker with the wiring instead of adjusting the sunroof and touching up paint in the engine bay, and veneering your dash 2 or 3 times.

Despite any recent sense of urgency we are talking about years of electrical triage opportunities. I’m not trying to be negative. I just don’t think you got to the hard part yet. Headlights and fuse boxes are shade tree challenges. Tuning an s38 with likely harness issues makes my brain hurt.

Your timeline is yours (and your spouse) alone. I certainly pass no judgement on your casual approach to getting the car running. We saw multiple in-op cars sold by members last summer that were 7-25 year unfinished projects. Such is life for car enthusiasts trying to balance life’s priorities. The important thing is that you are enjoying the experience. :)

FC208EE0-E4BA-4FCB-BFB5-19F981D06AFA.jpeg

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
so i spenT A BIT OF TIME IN THE ENGINE BAY AND cleared all THE TAPE FROM THE
WIRING OUT THERE. VERIFIED THE POWER THRU THE MAIN, INJECTOR AND
IGNITION RELAYS AND MADE SURE ALL THE CONTACTS WERE GOOD AND HAVE
RESTORED POWER THROUGHOUT
THE DASH CLOCK IS "RUNNING"
ALL RIGHT!!!!
SO I VERIFY ALL THE INTERIOR WIRING MANANA.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can you explain again the reasoning behind ALL CAPS but NOT always? You can't claim AutoCAD drafting if you start in lowercase and then oScIlLaTe.?.

Last edited:

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you explain again the reasoning behind ALL CAPS but NOT always? You can't claim AutoCAD drafting if you start in lowercase and then oScIlLaTe.?.
Can we please quit picking on Alan? I’m guilty of doing the same; but Alan has been trying to finish his car since 2016 and he has gone the route of taking his car to a “reputable” shop only to get screwed.

as for ALL CAPS, he has already explained that he works with a program that requires the use of all caps and he forgets to transition when he is on the inter webs.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can we please quit picking on Alan? I’m guilty of doing the same; but Alan has been trying to finish his car since 2016 and he has gone the route of taking his car to a “reputable” shop only to get screwed.

as for ALL CAPS, he has already explained that he works with a program that requires the use of all caps and he forgets to transition when he is on the inter webs.
Yes, I know - I am being hard on Alan. My apologies, Alan. But Alan is an architect, as am I. And I think he would agree that in his profession (or any profession), communication is extremely important. Honestly, I don't even follow what is going on with Alan's car as I often can't follow the verbiage. But yes, I am throwing darts and for that I am sorry.

As for the program, it doesn't "require" all caps. When Alan computer drafts, he sets the ALL CAPS button because the notes on architectural working drawings are typically written in all caps. But surely his email communications with his clients aren't all caps, nor are some of his posts. But I digress.

Back to Alan's car...

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
so i spenT A BIT OF TIME IN THE ENGINE BAY AND cleared all THE TAPE FROM THE
WIRING OUT THERE. VERIFIED THE POWER THRU THE MAIN, INJECTOR AND
IGNITION RELAYS AND MADE SURE ALL THE CONTACTS WERE GOOD AND HAVE
RESTORED POWER THROUGHOUT
THE DASH CLOCK IS "RUNNING"
ALL RIGHT!!!!
SO I VERIFY ALL THE INTERIOR WIRING MANANA.
The dash clock is running! At this point it seems like the engine is just going to be icing on the cake.

Congrats on getting the juices flowing again. Will the battery turn the motor over now, or is that a later step?

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
SO I ADDED ANOTHER BATTERY AND IT JUST CLICKS
THEN I REMOVED TWO SPARK PLUGS AND IT TURNS OVER FINE
SO ITS FOR SURE THE COMPRESSION
SILLY THINKIN WHEN I GET IT READY TO START
ILL GET IT ON TH ROAD AND TOW IT IN GEAR TO KICK START IT
OH THE PROCESS !!
ACTUALLY I DO COM WITH CLIENTS WITH CAPS
SUPPOSE IF ITS SUCH A PAIN TO ALL I CAN hiT SET TO SMALL ALTHOUGH
I HAVE A PROGRAMMABLE KEYBOARD AND THE T KEY JUMPS TO CAPS
ILL HAVE TO RESET IT

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why is the S38 compression on your car allegedly so high? My M5 & other S38 Coupes run a single battery which starts them easily. I know you bought someone else's project & have been dealing with a Franken-can-of-worms since. I'm on your side & want to see this completed.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alan - they start race big blocks with small, lightweight batteries. Something just isn't right. Sounds like you may get volts but no amps to that starter... You could run 15:1 and still get it cranking fine. Have you checked your starter?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
A good starter can bend a rod in a hydrolock situation, so it can for sure handle a "little" compression.