'67 2000CS resto...Papa's Church Car

bela22

Reaction score
Ed , it’s just so beautiful can’t wait to see the bela wood installed !

bela

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update:
We tried to have the CS finished about a month ago, in order to drive it to MidAmerica02Fest, but ran into some ignition snags. Without the push of that deadline I went back to “ do it correct the first time” mode.

Solved the ignition problem. Cranking circuit was somehow grounding out and giving a very weak spark. Replaced some crispy wiring and bypassed a relay and finally got good spark. It started and purred even better than I remember.

I went through all the gauges, had to rebuild the trip odometer (I do not recommend anyone take one of those apart!) but it works now. Modified metal gears off a spare 2002 odometer and sorted out the mechanism. Also replaced the faded opaque turn signal indicator arrow...just don’t have a picture to show it. I used some green vinyl from the hobby shop. Looks great.

C08582DA-036D-47C6-B10A-1E6F06C87EB3.jpeg

CAADA23A-24E0-43E1-83F5-A0AE2BC10133.jpeg

The dash is placed in the car with gauges, but until the interior is trimmed out, I’ll hold off bolting it down, once and for all. Here’s a random pic.

6B867FF3-7C50-4F95-A8F2-42E6C40B3352.jpeg

We’ll drop it at the interior shop on Thursday. It runs, shifts, brakes, lights all work... it’s alllllmost ready. The end is very near... :)

8778C5CB-4F10-44C7-8793-A0DCE2A4F207.jpeg

Ed Z

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And that pic of the gears spread out on the bench is poster worthy (seriously). Very nice work!

Here’s what the guts of those odometer wheels looks like. Two brass cogs, a tiny V spring, sitting in two halves of the wheel. One half is driven by the specially-grooved “axle” the other half is driven by the outer gear set. It’s like working on a watch...
B9A8FFAD-8892-4CF1-BD9A-84500E9AC671.jpeg

I had to shorten the 2002 metal gear to match the depth of the original plastic gear that was broken.
5E3C2A81-F9BC-4F6A-A93A-749AADBAFD6B.jpeg

Hopefully, it all lasts. :)

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The dash...yessss

Bela re-veneered the dash and other wood in the car. It is gorgeous... I found that unblemished vinyl dash pad on Kleinenzeigan... that was a lucky day.

I'll have more, and better pictures of the completed car, very soon... complete with all the shiny bits...

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any thoughts on OktoberFest in October in Greer, SC?

Yes, sir, Andrew. I'm planning to make the trip with Barney and Terry and their wives. By then, all the kinks should be worked out of the CS. I need to get registered...

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s been a while since an update.
Pablo finished the interior a couple weeks ago and it looks great. I have most of the under dash pieces installed ( leaving driver’s side open for the moment)

Windshields were installed yesterday, but we had trouble with the rear lockstrip. We will try again on Saturday morning with local Coupe expert, and all-around good guy, Peter Coomaraswamy pitching in. Quick comment on windshield seals... I had purchased reproductions from Vintage Autobahn; through a snafu in packaging, a front seal was placed in a bag marked as a rear seal. I alerted Connor and he sent me a BMW seal at no extra cost or shipping. Well... with no prompting to the glass installer he immediately says, "these seals are different, that front seal feels a lot better" That is the reproduction and also one we didn't have trouble with. One more thing.., the BMW seal has a nasty, gummy release agent all over the seal and it is very difficult to remove, especially when it gets on the glass. The reproduction seal was very clean and no residual release agent. if you are shopping, I recommend the reproduction seals over the BMW seals 100%.

Door/window trim and seals are 90% done.

Some pics
8A7EDBFB-F564-421B-B61F-85041AB1DEBF.jpeg

7F247673-C884-4198-B350-CEC809E3F8D2.jpeg

2CD8280C-EF76-43DA-AE8E-03F005AAF969.jpeg

EA4D34C3-2A96-4495-BF00-A93EB7B09E7E.jpeg

463C8143-EB95-40A2-86FE-E10FE3825F8C.jpeg

The car runs beautifully and the pile of parts is quite small now. It should be ready just in time for Fall driving weather.

Ed

Last edited:

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quick update on the rear glass. I met up with Peter C early this morning and we pulled the rear glass, tweaked the lockstrip a bit, put lots of lubricant on the seal. It went in pretty easily... So happy to have this sorted.
D33E9B0D-634E-4D15-BB99-E8EDBEF72DAB.jpeg

5F4ED75A-465E-4A67-B91F-D714868ED3F8.jpeg

I spent the rest of the afternoon with door jamb trim and other things.

Many thanks to Peter for his expertise and time today. I am very grateful, friend.

Ed Z

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quick update on the rear glass. I met up with Peter C early this morning and we pulled the rear glass, tweaked the lockstrip a bit, put lots of lubricant on the seal. It went in pretty easily... So happy to have this sorted.
View attachment 74559
View attachment 74560

I spent the rest of the afternoon with door jamb trim and other things.

Many thanks to Peter for his expertise and time today. I am very grateful, friend.

Ed Z
Sounds like great teamwork, and a productive day! Also good to hear that some finesse and a copious amount of lube solved this. I'll have to remember this when I reinstall my glass.