'71 2800 CS Budget Resto

Discussion in 'E9 Projects and Restorations' started by Markos, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Dohn

Dohn Active Member Site Donor

Sorry for the double posting. I don't seem to be able to delete the extra.

2. Markos

Markos Well-Known Procrastinator Staff Member Site Donor $$

View My Garage
    I agree. he said it was cloisonné. The old one looks better IMO.

3. adawil2002

adawil2002 Well-Known Member Site Donor $$

View My Garage
    The cloisonné is smooth with no relief like the current grill badges. After looking at the repro closely, it is cloisonné too.

BMWCCA Grill Badge.jpg BMW CCA Grill Badges.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Markos likes this.
  4. mulberryworks

mulberryworks Active Member Site Donor

View My Garage
    It's a minor point, but I ran across this site that states we've been using the wrong name for the process that makes our C-pillar badges and the BMWCCA repro badge we are discussing:

http://www.maxwellenamels.com/FAQs.html

These enameled emblems are often, incorrectly, referred to as cloisonné. Cloisonné is an enamel process in which separate bands of metal are bent then applied to a base. These labor intensive bands encase the enamel and create the design. I have yet to see an automobile emblem done with cloisonné. The process that is used is called champlevé (pronounced shomp´-leh-vay).

The champlevé technique involves applying enamel into depressions in the base metal. These depressions may be etched, engraved or, in the case of automobile emblems, die stamped. The stamping process can also include the beautiful design work that shows under transparent enamels.
    Historically the word enamel meant glass but today it seems to refer to any shiny color. The correct terminology is vitreous [glass] enamel. It is a true glass that melts and fuses around 1400 degrees F.
Enamel can be obtained as opaque, translucent or transparent. The colors are created by the addition of metallic oxides to the glass. The most common form is ground to #80 mesh and looks like colored granulated sugar. These enamels are formulated to molecularly bond with copper, silver and gold.

5. Markos

View My Garage
    I remember you mentioned this in another thread. It's great info and sounds correct to me, but you have an uphill nomenclature battle on your hands.

6. Dohn

Dohn Active Member Site Donor

Having created cloissonné items in college art classes I always assumed the process of fusing glass powders into shaped metal areas (hand-formed silver wires in art class) made badges one and the same, but apparently how you create the constraining shapes changes the definition. Champlevé it is. I can see this as an effective argument starter at the next classic car show.

Andrew, the original badge in your first image is different than the one in your later posting. Looks like the badges have gone through several generations, likely due to supplier changes. Apparently you DID need some stinking badges...

7. Stevehose

Stevehose Well-Known Member Site Donor

View My Garage
    Kinda like the tremolo bar on a Stratocaster guitar is actually a vibrato bar, and a Fender amp with vibrato effect is actually tremelo

Markos likes this.
  8. mulberryworks

mulberryworks Active Member Site Donor

View My Garage
    I simply want to make as much accurate information available about our cars. But I'm not a purist, and tradition wins out most of the time.
    It helps to know the correct term, even if the day to day term is less than correct.

Markos and Dohn like this.
  9. Markos

View My Garage
    Its official, O'Reilly Auto doesnt know how to bench test an e9 alternator. The third plug was throwing them off. They recommended Acme Electric in Seattle. I gave them a ring today. I may stop by tomorrow but the alternator feels pretty gritty when you spin it by hand. They said they couldnt rebuild it due to parts availability.

My plan was to throw the old alternator on since it doesnt really matter at the moment. I may end up sending my spare off or buying a new one.

I also picked up my battery from Sears this morning. It is alive and kicking despite the abuse that I have put it through.

I'm happy to have found the dual pump for the headlight wipers. They are NLA!

Edit: Some accounting:

Purchased:
    Powder coat spare Weds faces: $150
    16x8 Weds wheels w/ 5yo "new" Michelins: $500
    OEM 68mm BMW Center Caps: $30
    NOS Sidler Euro Blinkers: $150
    Speedo Adjuster Knob: $20
    NOS Dual pump windshield/headlight washer: $120
    NOS headlight washer auxillary tank: $240
    HL Wish/Wash wiring and relay: $0
    New dual bung wiper tank: $48
    Coupe King restored tool tray: $185
    Gas pedal pivot: $32
    DIY Heavy Duty Battery Cables: $35
    Getrag 265/5 “Dogleg” Transmission: $300
    Stan's Dogleg Shift Pattern Sticker: $10
    Four Slot Kidney: $0
    NOS Door Seal: $0
    Early Headlight Wiper Stops: $75
    Headlight Grilles w/ wiper cutouts: $100
    Shipping from Germany, 2 steering wheels & HL grilles: $110
    BMW Motorsport Wheel & Hub: $235
    Stahl Headers & Repair: $590
    4x Wiper Inserts: $12

DCOE Project:

Korman DCOE Manifold: $224
    Ross Machine Fuel Rail, Fittings, and 6AN Tap: $80
    M12 to 6AN banjo fittings: $39
    Sold: Redline 3 Piece Manifold: -$90
    T-Stat housing gasket: $8
    T-Star housing (late model): $69

Sold:
    Miscellaneous Parts: -$1,932
    Black Leather Rear Seats: -$250
    15x7 Enkei Wheels: -$300
    Rear Arm Rests, poor condition: $0
    Dash Grab Rail, fair condition: $0
    E3 Ignition Cylinder & Key: -$33
    E3 AC Console Parts: -$36
    Dashboard grab bar trim: -$85
    Ceramic Coated Stahl Headers: -$800
    16” Staggered Weds Bavaria’s: -$900
    1974 glove box knob (plus pre-74 trade): -$50
    Passenger side door wood (core): -$50
    AC Knobs: -$43
    Dashboard Trim: -$65

Total Spend: $8,674

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 4:16 PM
  10. Markos

View My Garage
    I have given up on my Sears battery. I had it charged about a week ago and threw it in the car to start it up and go for a spin. The starter wouldn't even engage. The annoying part is that Autozone doesn't have the capability to properly charge an AGM battery. I may try to pickup a standard lead acid white BMW battery from Vancouver. Now my alternator is either bad or just loose. I confirmed that I can spin the alternator by hand with the belt installed now, so I'll start by tightening it up. My CSI alternator is putting out 50a, but the bearings are clearly going bad in it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  11. Markos

View My Garage
    I had a moderately productive weekend with the project car. I removed the dangerously bad tires and mounted some newer rubber and wheel. Details here:

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/custom-widened-weds.23669/page-2

I stripped a whole garbage can full of stereo equipment. This included the supplemental wiring up to the positive battery lost. I removed the makeshift veneered particle board radio mount. I removed the wiring for an auxiliary gauge. What’s left is a refreshingly simple 2800 CS harness. Having no power windows up front and no AC helps to keep things simple. I explained my justification for manual windows to a long time coupe owner this weekend. My children would never experience manual windows or a manual transmission if it weren’t for this car. It’s the same novel reason why I want carbs and the four speed (although that ship sailed in exchange for an equally novel dogleg).

I had Sears replace my battery. It tested positive again but it will drain before I get it in the car. The lady working at Sears whom I have had multiple conversations with is certifiably insane (really). I think the tech knows this fact and felt bad for me - so gave me a new batttery. :D

teahead likes this.
  12. Markos

View My Garage
    I tried to “quickly” tighten my alternator last night but I’m glad I didn’t spend much time on it. Having just removed my alternator on the CSI I was familiar with the three mounting points. I presume that I need to loosen all there to let the alternator move and the tensioning arm articulate. It was late, and dark so I said screw it adter five minutes of fumbling. I was eating into the bed time routine. I can spin the alternator pulley with a bit of force so I need to tighten it up before considering a swap.

With my new battery and new tires I was supposed to take my car for a spin last night. I had a trifecta of issues that led me to believe that my brand new battery was DOA.

First, when installed my car has zero power, not even the warning lights came on. Thinking my battery ground is shot I used my jumper cables to ground. When that didn’t work I tested for sparks when snorting then battery. Still nothing. I used my multimeternand the battery was showing zero volts.

I took the battery back to sears. Thankfully the crazy lady wasn’t there and the other cool russian guy was available. I told him my issue and he said: “Impossible”

Well it turns out that he is right but I’m not crazy. My multimeter isn’t functioning correctly, AND the ground cable on my 20yo jumpers is shot. We tested with his multimeter and the battery was at 12.4. That obviously doesn’t tell you how well it will perform when starting but it is a new battery.

Next steps are to hunt down the power issue. I’m going to start with the battery cables which I had intended to replace nearly two years ago. Although I just checked my fuses last weekend, I’ll take another look.

There wouldn’t happen to be a master fuse in the e9 would there?

Personally I think it is my battery ground but I will know more this weekend. I was supposed to move my car to covered parking last night but now it’s more fun in the rain. Halloween was the last nice day of the year I’m afraid.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  13. HB Chris

HB Chris Well-Known Member Site Donor $

View My Garage
    No master fuse. You can use an e24 positive cable if I remember correctly, it has the small posts at the battery end.

Markos likes this.
  14. teahead

teahead aka "Rob" Site Donor

If you do get a new alternator, get an E12, internally-regulated one. Less wiring to deal with (my wire fried on my 2800).

Markos likes this.
  15. Bmachine

Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $$

Very interesting thread Markos!

Markos likes this.
  16. Markos

View My Garage
    So it turns out that when I stripped out the 20 yards of stereo wiring I accidentally unplugged the red ignition switch wire from the fuse block. Although I harassed Don and he text me fuse location “5”, I confirmed with old blue. Sure enough..

Example wire from my spare ignition switch. Pretty much the only solid red on the top terminals of the fuse block.
    [​IMG]

Blue book. The fuse block is upside down in the second pic.
    [​IMG]

Before identifying the root cause I replaced my battery cables (excluding the alternator cable). I also installed new marine style battery terminals. I made my own cables and outlined the process here:

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/diy-heavy-duty-battery-cables.26960/

Technically I haven’t addressed the charging issue. My belt is a bit loose but I’m just going to bite the bullet and get a new alternator. I’m going to follow the lead of @GolfBavaria and get a higher amp AC Delco unit. I’ll take that opportunity to swap the old belts as well. Each of these little things makes the car a bit more driveable.

The goal of all of this is to get my car out of the rain until I can cut up the CSI and remove from my garage. Once the power was up and running, I took my car for a spirited drive in the rain. Although the tires are new they break loose pretty easily on wet ground. I’m also used to driving an AWD subaru. I haven’t had a manual transmission car since 2007.

Pit stop in the rain for a gratuitous photo.
    [​IMG]

New temporary home.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Gransin, mulberryworks and Bmachine like this.
  17. teahead

teahead aka "Rob" Site Donor

NIce wheels!

Markos likes this.
  18. GolfBavaria

GolfBavaria Well-Known Member Site Donor $

View My Garage
    Cars looking great! Good idea on the Alternator, mine has been working great!

19. Markos

View My Garage
    I know it’s counterproductive but it only looks great in the rain. :D

I’m hoping I can just get that alternator from Autozone. If I have another box show up at my door step my marriage is over! :D

GolfBavaria likes this.
  20. GolfBavaria

GolfBavaria Well-Known Member Site Donor $

View My Garage
    It's funny, I know we all try and not drive our cars in the rain too much. Some of us are luckier than others demographically. I don't know what it is, the rare time we get any rain here in SoCal is the day I drive it down to San Diego to La Jolla Independent or something. It never fails. I don't mind it too much, seems like the Bav's are a little more immune to the water than the coupes. The angles and secret "Rust Gremlin" caves seem to be sealed up better, anyhow, yes, it looks nice and shiny in the rain though! LOL.