'71 2800 CS Budget Resto

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's a new one for me....Moss on car...hey why not? It is kind of cool I guess. Good name for a custom plate for it...Mossy 1 or I heart moss. It would make for a good story once it's all fixed up. How did the interior turn out after the super cleanse? So vinegar and water did you say? Does that kill mold or something? Without staining the carpet? I like all that wire knowledge too, interesting!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a new one for me....Moss on car...hey why not? It is kind of cool I guess. Good name for a custom plate for it...Mossy 1 or I heart moss. It would make for a good story once it's all fixed up. How did the interior turn out after the super cleanse? So vinegar and water did you say? Does that kill mold or something? Without staining the carpet? I like all that wire knowledge too, interesting!

The moss should be gone this weekend. I'll snap some pics with my DSLR first. I haven't cleaned the interior yet. I likely won't start that until the following weekend. I have 7 yards of mulch getting dumped in the driveway tomorrow. Most of my weekend will consist if shoveling.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what the car looked like back in December when I posted my original value thread. The consensus seemed to be that the fenders were shot, but there was too much debris to know for sure

15630397297_af8543c45e_o.jpg

Time for a status update on the fenders. Today I quickly washed the car. I told myself that I would be gentle to avoid taking on water. Once I started though, I ended up blasting the thing. I need to replace every window and body seal on the vehicle. The car is far from 'clean', but it's a start.

I removed all of the loose sound deadening on the fenders, to observe the rust. As I originally stated, I think the fenders look pretty good. The engine compartment hasn't been resprayed. The rust seems superficial, starting from the top, not the underside. I've seen similar rust on a $15K-$20K E9's. The pictures may portray otherwise, but I think I'm doing okay up top. The sides of the fenders have typical bubbling, so they still need to be removed.

16936350446_79ef082fc7_b.jpg

16342198883_7fb683e6aa_b.jpg

16754904937_af42f8fa5c_b.jpg

16960962782_728ac8b338_b.jpg

16776093519_d991836974_b.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
These pictures are ripe for a typical craigslist 'wet photo' ad. :)

The car is starting to clean up. I had to do something. I'm leaving it in the elements until I can get the interior out and cleaned. No other financial investment as of yet.

Before I pull it inside I will take my electric buffer to it with some Meguirars Machine Glaze. Red cars tend to oxidize more than others over time, and they tend to look significantly better after you buff them.

I'm pretty certain that I will keep these vintage Enkei 92's for the near future. I'm likely going to repaint the centers silver, or gunmetal.

16774601638_7357cd626f_b.jpg

16754907217_78076bb33f_b.jpg

16961347081_02bed6001b_b.jpg

16776096109_51e8051264_b.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos WOW, car really cleaned up nice...didn't really expect that. Like going to the barber and getting a fresh cut, even though the grey is showing more and more, you still feel good about getting a cut. I was lucky on the Bav and not much rust but I was introduced to a product that you brush on once you remove as much rust as possible and it somehow chemically turns the rust into usable metal again. Obviously only talking about surface rust, seems to be working thus far. I can get you the name of the product if your not familiar with what I am talking about. Keep up the good work. The wife should be happier seeing it "cleaned up." Plus you have the red thing going for you. Just don't call her Ginger, she might get jealous!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks!

It looks like I'm missing a lug nut (passenger rear). The wheels also have some old locking nuts with no key. Any suggestions on correct nuts? Thank you!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks!

It looks like I'm missing a lug nut (passenger rear). The wheels also have some old locking nuts with no key. Any suggestions on correct nuts? Thank you!

Markos, you left yourself open for this one, sorry couldn't resist. Look... I know you think we are all nuts....but now we have to be correct too?:twisted:

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Before taking a polisher to that paint, get some Meguiars #7 Mirror glaze and rub it into the paint by hand. It will help feed the paint which will make your next step much more successful. It's worth the effort and minimal outlay in my opinion. Good luck!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos said:
I spotted at least one home wiring nut under the dash. The previous owner had what appears to be a radio-shack built amplification system. I'll snap some pics, as it is still in the trunk.

I don't even know what I'm looking at. Sadly, I presume that I have a 6-10" hole in my rear shelf for this speaker. Nothing a little sheet metal work can't fix.

496c2b1f875b526c33c5db600f2c427e.jpg

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't even know what I'm looking at. Sadly, I presume that I have a 6-10" hole in my rear shelf for this speaker. Nothing a little sheet metal work can't fix.

16981596275_6070cec1bf_b.jpg

That home made amp is very cool looking, should keep is for posterity. :)

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That home made amp is very cool looking, should keep is for posterity. :)

I've always thought a thread about what you've removed (PO "improvements") from your coupe would be great... maybe it's already been done?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No updates lately. I have all next week off, with no place to go. I'm hoping to squeeze in some coupe time between family time. I will be acquiring some parts next week. Next steps will be to rinse the tank, clean the fuel lines, and pickup a battery. I'm not quite sure why, but it extremely difficult to roll this thing in my driveway. It feels like I'm moving a tank. I'm looking forward to just turning the key on and putting it in gear.

My mother-in-law is in town. She confirmed that I my father-in-law can use a Seattle shop (same organization) to paint the car. The cost is a plane ticket. :) I figure a SeaHawks game and some cash will be helpful also.

I snapped some pics of the engine. If you look closely, you will see that the fuel line is disconnected. This is where I ran the outboard gas tank to avoid using old fuel.

Again, the VIN is 2204650. It looks like my head is from an '81. It is my understanding that this is a 'late' head, as of 1980. I suppose the old head cracked at some point. I haven't figured out where the block numbers are. I found a set on the passenger side front of the block. Please chime in so I know where to look.

17024021565_4b3cd2c932_b.jpg

17023153721_9345153322_b.jpg

17023153531_a212279015_b.jpg

16998035696_0431e29ea0_b.jpg

16837816019_3f758a06e2_b.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you drained and flushed the coolant?

The VIN number on the engine is on a pad above the starter. Should match the one on the passenger firewall and top of steering column if it's the original engine.

I'd replace all rubber fuel hoses, in the engine compartment and the trunk.