'71 2800 CS Budget Resto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That steering wheel does look too thick, it also has a 2002 hub since it has the brass pin in the hub. E9 hubs have a brass horn ring with pin on the steering column.

Thanks for the info! It was a gamble, and I should be able to recoup accordingly. I'll keep the horn button though. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
More mundane purchases. Only $550 in my Paypal account left for nickel and dime updates. I need to sell some car parts so that I don't eat into my 'real' money. :)

Total Spend: $3,702

BMW E9 2800CS 2.8 69-71 Tune Up Kit Engine Oil and Fuel Filter Mahle/Mann: $28
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-2800...-Oil-and-Fuel-Filter-Mahle-Mann-/360917066422

$_12.JPG

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, crazy diy crossover system. What are the brands and model of the amp and speakers? (i have a thing for old school car audio)

I'm not sure about either. I recognize the amp name. It's definitely old but could be 90's or late 80's. The speakers are shot, and have no visible labels.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, this is less of a restoration, and more of me spending too much time on the internet buying parts. I finally jumped on these wheels to stop myself from buying 17" style 5's. Now I have two sets of 14's to sell. I will come out ahead by at least a few hundred, but that money will go to tires. I finally decided that 17" style 5's are a dime a dozen, installed on thousands of E39's. They can regularly be had on CL for $500-$600 a set. As more E39's go the wayside, more will come on the market. These wheels on the other hand are much more rare. They were only on select years vehicles, most of which have disappeared. Although they look similar to turbines, we all know that they are different. People (such as yourselves :)) spend upwards of $3K on a nearly identical 14x7 Alpina, albeit for good reasons on the CSL. Lastly tires are cheaper. The one downside is performance selection, but I don't need anything beyond an H rated tire anyway.

Total Spend: $3,964

Factory FPS 14's: $262:
17048616950_28c2e02841_b.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
More Pointless spending...

I'm a few home projects away from coupe work. I need to build a fence. Hopefully between that and the covered grilling area I can squeeze in a gas tank rinse and seal.

Total Spend: $3,988

I think I will paint these black and put some Alpina decals on them. I figure it's no worse than people putting Alpina caps on their Alpina reps.

Center caps: $24
17302110961_f2b492c202_b.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That steering wheel does look too thick, it also has a 2002 hub since it has the brass pin in the hub. E9 hubs have a brass horn ring with pin on the steering column.

Update: I got the wheel. It's strange, the grip is somewhat diamond shaped, so it looks thick from some angles. I think the picture also 'flattened' the shape of the wheel so it looks thicker. It's not bad in person.

The wheel is in fact period correct. It has no date stamp on the back. MOMO started adding date stamps in 1976. The wood also looks quite a bit darker than the honey finish in areas where the finish has flaked off. I intend to refinish the wood.

Interesting story. Knowing that the 2002 hub won't fit, I called a MOMO hub want ad on seattle craigslist. The gentleman actually has an E9. His name is Jim and he's from Bellevue. He has a friend with a CSL in Bellingham that is going to help him touch his up. I of course changed the conversation to any parts he has for sale. He has a set of doors, but that's it. His Coupe is in really good shape according to him. I believe it's white and it definitely has blue leather. So anyway, I'm keeping the hub for now.

Total Spend: $4,108

Wheels:
They arrived. The seller was kind enough to throw in a free set of Klippan 3 point seat belts for the front!

Windshield
A forum poster in Washington has offered his blemished but crack-free windshield for a great price. We just need to arrange transport. Thank you sir!

Interior:

Picked up a steering column prism from Stan for $26.50 + PayPal Fees. He still has some left.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The real time budget update thread is cool.

If a budget is a plan for future expenditures not a sum of past expenditures it would be great to follow this as a countdown from a given number down to zero!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good point Arde. Technically I am only tracking spend. I don't have a budget, but I have constraints. My time constraints are greater than my financial constraints though, so this is year one of a long thread. I tend to do home and car work myself (excluding the occasional oil change).

If I started with a budget and worked backwards I would quickly hit the red zone. I would like to keep it under $16k however, including the $3K asking. I have yet to spend $2k -$3k in leather, $1.5k in sheet metal, $700 in carpet, the list goes on. I told my spouse that every nickel that I sink into this project may be recouped. I am tying money up, not spending it. :) That is only accurate if I do the work myself, especially the body work.

Ultimately, this thread can only hurt resale value, airing dirty laundry, initial sale price, etc. However, it's for the greater good. So I like think anyway...

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
If anything it's a great way to show a future owner the condition of your car. Beats the eBay "Many new parts! Loving owner! Weekend car that's mostly dry! Starts and runs! Ran when parked! Recardo seats, Manuel transmission with a savage title."

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha! Don't forget the Bremboz. The passenger side is a bit dinged up from hitting a fents. Some damage to the wheels from hitting the crub.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ordered what I'm deeming 'Alpina Style' zinc coated lug nuts. $10 for 20 lug nuts. $20 to overnight the parts from Japan. I mean $20 for standard shipping from Deutschland. Even so, you can't get a full set of chrome lug nuts for under $50. The Coupe King Alpina Lug Nuts are gorgeous, but overkill for my application.

20 zinc plated lug nuts, $10 + $20 shipping + paypal: $33. Edit:Free + $20 shipping + paypal: $23.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141634617945?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Total Spend:$ 4,131
$_12.JPG

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Updated spend above to reflect refund on lug nuts.

Per "Alpina style lugs" thread.

Markos said:
Well I have a bit of a dispute on my hands that will likely be difficult to resolve with $10 lug nuts and $20 in shipping. Above is what is shown in the ad. This is what I got:

17246376484_f216c39c8a_c.jpg

17869410451_4c79004a89_c.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As anticipated, not measurable improvement on restoration. Just keeping track of my spend. Next step - clear a spot in the garage for the now-dry car.

Total Spend: $4,257

I didn't put any thought into this thumb screw, or conduct any research. I just wanted my tool box to stay closed. I will need to track down a chrome thumb screw later...

Tool kit thumb screw: $11
s-l140.jpg

Conceptually, I have everything in place to rebuild my dashboard. The upper dash and instrument cluster will be wrapped in leather made by Top Gaiters. This company has a good reputation for inexpensive shift boots for BMW's and just about every other auto brand. I will buy a full matching hide locally for $150 to do the shelf, lip, and lower panels, with plenty of extra material.

I've been on the lookout for a fuse box door. This one was for sale on the site. While there may be piles of fuse box doors in forum members' garages, they certainly aren't uncommon online. My max bid was $220, so I'm happy to have picked it for $91 + shipping

This is a late model unit with the twist-style lock. According to joint measurements, the lock is in the same location on both units. I may swap the button to maintain the period correct look. I also plan to keep the old door. I'd prefer not to leather-wrap a good fuse box door, so I may rebuild the old one.

Fuse box panel: $91 + $24 shipping = $115.

Old:
18006784634_dfa06539cd_b.jpg

"New":
18007054794_d41bcfb234_b.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paying tribute to Hunter S. Thompson with a little baking soda application. My car still smells like mildew. I need to gut the interior, but the home is taking precedence. I spent all weekend cleaning my garage. I now have an empty spot waiting. Hoping to rinse and seal the gas tank next weekend!

18636919190_2c2e89f829_b.jpg

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Rust

Get the front fenders off asap, there is for sure rust getting in there at those shock towers. Check under the carpets...

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Get the front fenders off asap, there is for sure rust getting in there at those shock towers. Check under the carpets...

Thanks for the sounds advice. Unfortunately fender removal isn't going to happen anytime soon. The car is "stabilized" at the moment. It's no better or worse than it was before, but much better than it would have been had I not purchased it. I plan to take the car down to bare metal. I just need to find a silent angle grinder, because my kids bedrooms are above the garage. :D

The floor plans have surface rust on them. The passenger rear plug needs replacing. I'm not sure about the overall worthiness of the pans, but they seem ok (no holes). Most of the rust issues seem to be from leaking windscreen seals.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well the baking soda vacuumed up nicely! My seats look pretty clean actually, and have any odors. I need to take a break from any real coupe work, but will keep on learning and researching.

Total Spend: $4,268

Chrome Toolbox Screw: $15 shipped (Thanks Stan!)

Rear Side Markers: Free (Thanks Eric!)
a2079181494f25aaac5400_l__12614.1417458794.1280.1280.JPG

Last edited:

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tally

You realize that when the boss sees the tally up over 50k, we will all be complicit and in trouble for urging you on.

Enjoy!