72' Fjord CSI resto

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi there,
i have a problem with making photo's of my progress with e9, so i decided to create this thread, maybe that way i will be motivated little bit more.
Sorry at the beginning, but my thread might be not continuous & sometimes out of context, i will be just updating here my current progress;
Couple words about my e9 - it is Fjord CSI from October 1972, came from Germany in 2015.
Currently car is completely disassembled (to every single part, almost to the last screw) - no body photo's update yet as i don't want you to watch such a beauty naked :p (body after blasting).

Today received some parts from zinc plating:
1. some white zinc
20180117_201304.jpg

2. some yellow zinc & lonely white zinc oil filter housing
20180117_202116.jpg

Parts with matte colour - where sandblasted; while gloss - brushed with brass brush.
Next stage for most of this parts (not all) will powder coating:)

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
PM me Markos with list of parts you don't recognize i will tell you.

Meh, I'm not worried about it. I still have to take apart one more car before I put anything back together. :) I love that you disassembled your washer pump to plate it! :D

Wladek

Reaction score
Meh, I'm not worried about it. I still have to take apart one more car before I put anything back together. :) I love that you disassembled your washer pump to plate it! :D
That part what you thought is washer pump - is actually brakes pressure regulator;) but don't warry :confused: - washer pumps went today on next part of zinc plating:)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doh - the washer pump is plastic. I'm just going to stop now. :)

I'm guessing the rest of the bits that I don't recognize are from under the car, towards the rear. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Wladek

Reaction score
Doh - the washer pump is plastic. I'm just going to stop now. :)

I'm guessing the rest of the bits that I don't recognize are from under the car, towards the rear. I haven't gotten that far yet.
Nope - early washer pumps are 50/50 metal - later models where plastic (E23, E24 etc.).
I found that early models of washer pumps are tougher, than later ones. Have 3x of them - 2x for headlight washing + windscreen & 1x as a spare. All in excellent condition unlike 2x later type plastic ones i had from e24.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope - early washer pumps are 50/50 metal - later models where plastic (E23, E24 etc.).
I found that early models of washer pumps are tougher, than later ones. Have 3x of them - 2x for headlight washing + windscreen & 1x as a spare. All in excellent condition unlike 2x later type plastic ones i had from e24.

Yeah I was referring to the cylinder portion. Good to have spares. I just posted a link on rebuilding them in a different thread.

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi there,
who want more zinc plating?
Actually i'm tired of blasting & zinc plating, & want to show something new, but am type of person who need to finish one stage (in my head) to start another. So as for now unfortunately am still in zinc plating boat (will be probably 10 more updates).
20180212_172850.jpg
20180222_132742.jpg

m_thompson

Reaction score
I had all of the steel engine parts cadmium plated and then coated with yellow alodine. Your parts look the same, and are less toxic.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So as for now unfortunately am still in zinc plating boat (will be probably 10 more updates).
Just beautiful to see all of those wonderfully clean and plated parts - and I am not just saying that because the floor tile is color coordinated with the plating. :D Nice work - keep posting!

Wladek

Reaction score
Probably not the big deal for most of people on this forum, but this week i made my first steps with home powder coating.
Pretty satisfied with final results. Made a mistake with heater cover - layer could be little bit thicker, so could cover areas from rust pitting. But hope in future to not repeat that mistake.
Wiper mechanism frame was powder coated with structural powder, so it might look like it have rust pitted surface, but actually it's not.
20180307_162633.jpg

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice work Wladek.
It looks like you had your power steering reservoir cad plated in an earlier photo. But you decided to powder coat on top of that? Of course black is the stock color but then, out of curiosity, why did you plate it first?

Wladek

Reaction score
Nice work Wladek.
It looks like you had your power steering reservoir cad plated in an earlier photo. But you decided to powder coat on top of that? Of course black is the stock color but then, out of curiosity, why did you plate it first?
Power steering reservoir was earlier zinc plated. Zinc plating for most of the parts was made by me for additional rust protection in future.
I know most of people would say that powder coating itself is good or very good protector, but i am little bit skeptical, so decided to be double hedged.
All stock parts in my renovation i plan to make look the same as they left factory.