• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

'73 Golf Bavaria Build Thread

billpatterson

Reaction score
Hi GolfBavaria,

Thank you! I appreciate your time! As I recall it does not take an extreme wheel or much lowering to give the car a nicer and slightly more aggressive stance. FYI-the wheel dimension and offset should be cast on the center part of each wheel and readable from the stud side of each wheel. If you do not mind, please take and send a picture?

Regards,
Bill P.

CSBM5

Reaction score
Hi GolfBavaria,

Thank you! I appreciate your time! As I recall it does not take an extreme wheel or much lowering to give the car a nicer and slightly more aggressive stance. FYI-the wheel dimension and offset should be cast on the center part of each wheel and readable from the stud side of each wheel. If you do not mind, please take and send a picture?

Regards,
Bill P.
Bill,

Not sure how helpful this is, but I still recall my wheel fitment details from 1984 for some odd reason. I did all sorts of measuring on my slightly lowered 1972 Bavaria in order to fit the widest wheels/tires I could without doing any modifications to the body. I tracked and autocrossed the car a lot. This was right when Rial wheels started being imported in 16" sizes, and discovered their 8" wheel had ET11 offset. This was perfect, and I never had an issue with them over the following 10 years. I used 225/50-16 tires on them which were thought of as "huge" at the time.

Regards,
Chuck

Right Rear 1988.jpg

billpatterson

Reaction score
Thank you Chuck!

That is a nice look and certainly not too 'huge'. I agree; the E3 does not need much lowering; it has a nice mellow stock stance. I will also use a online circumference calculator to conform tire sizes compared to stock.

Regards
Bill P.