And so the saga begins

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
color example

16984103183_e9b7c91eb9_b.jpg

Cognac with grey exterior looks good to me. just a suggestion :)

Bwana

Reaction score
steering - currently have a smaller diameter nardi installed but also have this one:
1969 BMW E9 by Ciprian Mihai, on Flickr
which needs to be re-wrapped. its a bit on the thin side but its grown on me over the months. Another option might be the 4 spoke alpina currently installed in the e28

Cool! The school bus model! I've got one and love it, I wasn't sure it was OEM

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
I would use that wheel except for the fact that it doesn't have the original integrated horn button and cover (i have the generic cover). The functional button looks just like the generic cover used on many wheels of that vintage. The generic covers simply snap into place with the horns being integrated into the spokes of the wheel.

If you have a complete wheel and button its worth a small fortune. there's one on ebay.de listed for just shy of 1500 euro. Saw another one without integrated horn and in need of a re-wrap for 330 euro or so.

Still trying to decide. its just so thin. Beautiful for sure though.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
anybody know what color this is?

i have door panels that i think are this color. its closer to the color i meant when i said brown. not quite sure what color they are without having a reference sample.

bmw interior by J_Otte, on Flickr

tmason

Reaction score
I know there is a guy in Texas that recovers them for 175.00-200.00 depending on size. I'm going to have my Petri rewrapped by him later this year so I can let you know how it turns out.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like an old photo of my coupe when it still had 15" gold mesh wheels. Interior is not the original, a bit lighter I think.

Bwana, I have the same CSi wheel, I love it.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Teaser

Really sucked to miss the vintage... again. Sounds like it was a great time. But, at the same time, giving up on that deadline allowed me to relax and enjoy the process of bolting up the last few parts, connecting the last bit of wiring, and replacing the odd piece or two. I'll be posting a full gallery of pics over the coming week but here are few that i snapped today. Forgive the pollen. the car was covered with it in less than an hour.

Reborn by J_Otte, on Flickr

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks great. Totally digging the headlight wipers. Would love to find an NOS Bosch set. Missed one about 5 years ago.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Shake Down

still going through the process of piecing everything back together. The car is about 90% there in terms of assembly, but the to-do list gets longer everyday. Its funny because i remember 3 years ago thinking to myself that getting the car painted would pretty much qualify as 'done' for a good long while. Now, i've had the car for 12 days and i can already feel the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel beginning to dim some. oh well, i guess you are never really done.

took the car out for a spirited drive today after a stop at the hunt valley cars and coffee. happy to report that the mallory distributor has made a noticeable difference in performance. I struggled for years trying to get the bosch oem unit to work but to no avail. the mallory dropped right in and made a pinch of timing. A few turns of the mixture screws in the 3 webs and the car was running like i'd never seen. very strong pulls through redline with an extra boost at around 4800 rpms. And my oh my what a sound! i've become addicted to the soundtrack and downright violent performance of the e60 M. but i have to say the coupe is equally as pleasurable when it comes to providing that visceral experience.

a snapshot during a brief pit stop to replace a fuse...

Beauty and the Beast

beauty and the beast by J_Otte, on Flickr

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Went out again today and started documenting all of the issues i find with the car. Thankfully now most of the major cosmetic issues have been addressed but much remains to keep me busy for a good bit. Tops on the list will be the AC, the hood support, exhaust service, and throw out bearing replacement - at which point i'll decide whether or not to just replace the whole thing.

Also have to address smaller, detail issues throughout the car - gaskets, trim pieces, new hardware throughout, new carpet - i think... among a ton of other things

Pulled into a garage for a bit to chow down on my Jersey Mike's sub and managed to grab a few pictures on the way out. I was scared about the color change early on but am thrilled now with the result. Not period correct, but i think it still fits and does much to accentuate the car's lines. Aggressive and sophisticated all at once...

Ramp_Far by J_Otte, on Flickr

Ramp by J_Otte, on Flickr

Ramp Close by J_Otte, on Flickr

Ramp Front by J_Otte, on Flickr

And all of that from this 3 years ago. Actually doesn't look too bad here but the paint was REALLY, as was the original interior.

DSC_5836 by J_Otte, on Flickr

You can see the texture on the hood

DSC_5863 by J_Otte, on Flickr

Inspired by Ryan's old ride. this image was photoshop'd to test color scheme and trim ideas. Still may end of blacking out the belt line trim but didnt like the result of the first test i did. looked a bit too plastic-like. If i do it i'll get the pieces anodized with a slightly transparent charcoal tone.

coupe sport by J_Otte, on Flickr

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful! I really like that color even if it isn't period-correct, and I imagine it's even nicer IRL.

I would keep the chrome belt line trim, but thats just me.

/Robert