Andrew Wilson's '73 CSi

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gorgeous car - make sure you position your brake booster correctly before judging.
New hose clamp too.
Congrats on a pretty car!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gorgeous car - make sure you position your brake booster correctly before judging.
New hose clamp too.
Congrats on a pretty car!

Nice car!
And the wiper arms are swapped.

Tough crowd :).

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Part # 17121712736 is factory water hose instead of fuel hose for radiator to expansion tank.

Only 20 bucks.

Pleasure to see such a nice engine bay.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
did you keep the under riders on the rear bumper?
I keep toying with the idea of re-installing mine but am loathe to drill the holes.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could mount them without holes, when I reinstalled mine I noticed enough tightness that they wouldn't need to be bolted if desired. Mine is a 72, not sure if the 73 is different.

did you keep the under riders on the rear bumper?
I keep toying with the idea of re-installing mine but am loathe to drill the holes.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow. What a beautiful car.

Nice to see another set of Schroth belts. I really like mine. Funny about the rear bumper; I spent a bunch of time and energy finding the underriders because I like the way they look.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could mount them without holes, when I reinstalled mine I noticed enough tightness that they wouldn't need to be bolted if desired. Mine is a 72, not sure if the 73 is different.

Did you bolt directly onto the bumper? I think I would need to drop the bumper to do that...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The risers are held to the bumper with a thick metal philips screw. They are accessed under the rubber riser pieces. So yes the bumper has to come off as do the rubber riser pieces, then screw the risers on, then bolt back on the rubber pieces. There are small plastic pieces that fit between the riser and the bumper and between the riser and the body. These are cut to fit.

Did you bolt directly onto the bumper? I think I would need to drop the bumper to do that...

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations on your baby coming home, she looks great!!! Now quit typing and start shifting!!!

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The risers are held to the bumper with a thick metal philips screw. They are accessed under the rubber riser pieces. So yes the bumper has to come off as do the rubber riser pieces, then screw the risers on, then bolt back on the rubber pieces. There are small plastic pieces that fit between the riser and the bumper and between the riser and the body. These are cut to fit.

Hey Steve - I haven't done this yet, (been working on getting my car to run) but it appears one of the reasons the under riders are so rare is that they rusted from the inside. Apparently, with the rubber riser pieces in place any water that might get in there has no place to escape. Did you do address this?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes the insides of mine had light surface rust but the nuts had rust welded to the rubber piece studs so I had to cut them off to remove, ruining the rubber pieces in the process. I soaked the under riders in evaporust then primed and painted the insides. They weren't painted from the factory on the inside like the bumpers were which I am sure contributed to their fragility.

Then I sprayed some Penetrol on the insides and reinstalled.

Hey Steve - I haven't done this yet, (been working on getting my car to run) but it appears one of the reasons the under riders are so rare is that they rusted from the inside. Apparently, with the rubber riser pieces in place any water that might get in there has no place to escape. Did you do address this?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe the rear bumper under riders need their own thread with how to pictures. Seems like it would be worthwhile.