b35 Install Tomorrow

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I had the Bergerman in my shop I would not need to remove the flywheel!
You are so lucky!
This week was 4 engines, tranny's and driveshafts and exhausts in my shop.
You have it easy!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Making progress, installed A/C pump, PS pump, alternator, spark plug loom. I am using Motronic style plug wires and plug caps, not Bakelite, with standard ends on the dizzy for my locked e12 dizzy. Had a heck of a time threading wires thru the original round loom! Fan is going to be very close to radiator, using gen 2 viscous clutch with spin on bolt too which Don says gives more room, not this time. And yes, motor mounts are in the correct hole in the motor bracket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 275

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris,

I was able to grind off about 1/8" from the big nut that is attached to the clutch. Compare the depth of the nut with the length of the threaded section on the water pump and you'll see you have some extra depth. I sprayed with water to keep the nut from getting too hot while I ground it down. (with the Uro clutch and Graf water pump)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm, I will check that out. Haven't tried to put Rad in yet as I have to lower back of engine to attach bell housing, tomorrow's chore.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like great progress, Chris! The motor looks fantastic, too! I'm not sure I'd have the patience to put the motor in as you did. Wow.

Chris,

I was able to grind off about 1/8" from the big nut that is attached to the clutch. Compare the depth of the nut with the length of the threaded section on the water pump and you'll see you have some extra depth. I sprayed with water to keep the nut from getting too hot while I ground it down. (with the Uro clutch and Graf water pump)

I hope you are pretty good at doing that grinding, as I have a feeling you'll be replacing the Uro clutch more than I'd want to. Even the Sachs ones seem to last at best just outside two years. My last Graf water pump started leaking after 400 miles. I used a couple of Saleris with great success (composite impellers). I put over 60k trouble-free miles on one, but now I can't seem to find them for M30s. Given you can buy both the later pump and spin-on fan clutch for considerably less than the cost of the bolt-on clutch, it's a great upgrade, but I put probably 1100 miles on my E12 M535i after making this change before I tore it all apart and I just put the fan clutch on my E28 M535i before Monterey only to find it was no good anymore. Can't catch a break. I have a feeling my next wasserpumpen purchase will be in a BMW box but it will probably still fail as nothing is made as well anymore.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, great work and I know how meticulous you are.
The engine will look spectacular. My chore tomorrow and Friday will be 2 days of consulting to earn the extra cash to pay Mario at VSR to do engine work for me!

Anyone want to by the engine I am removing? m30b34, weber 32/36, jet coated ported exhaust manifold?

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Congrats Chris,

You've blazed a trail for sure and do expect
to get consulting calls!!

Stan...let us know what the market is for
swapped out Webbers!!

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't catch a break. I have a feeling my next wasserpumpen purchase will be in a BMW box but it will probably still fail as nothing is made as well anymore.

Why not go with an electric fan? Yes it's not original but so is the B35.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, great work and I know how meticulous you are.
The engine will look spectacular. My chore tomorrow and Friday will be 2 days of consulting to earn the extra cash to pay Mario at VSR to do engine work for me!

Anyone want to by the engine I am removing? m30b34, weber 32/36, jet coated ported exhaust manifold?

The manifold could be of interest. Tell me more. Or is it a package deal?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Installed pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate and bell housing. Not much fun as a one person job. Bell housing bolts tough to get to. Tranny pic shows removable gear to drive the speedo.

Attachments

• IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 214

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
the right tools.

Installed pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate and bell housing. Not much fun as a one person job. Bell housing bolts tough to get to. Tranny pic shows removable gear to drive the speedo.

Pilot Bearing: why not install this BEFORE you put the motor into the car?

Very LONG 1/2" extensions with flex sockets and a helper to guide the socket onto the BH bolts. That's always worked for me on 2002's, E3's, E21, and E12's

Sounds like having a lift so the engine could go in from the bottom (with transmission attached) would've been a nice option.

Great work Chris.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score

HB,

I cut the ends off a 19 and a 17mm box end wrench and welded them onto flat bar stock about 15" long. Very handy for removing bell housing bolts and guibo bolts among others.

Doug

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pilot bearing was a piece of cake, two 8mm bolts below the head don't like universal joints :), don't have room for a lift and I won't be doing this again, the 17mm bolts near starter weren't bad as long as engine is tilted back, long 17 bolts below have dowels and weren't a problem either.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Garage Cam

I would like to propose that the rest of us in the middle of this process chip in to buy Chris a webcam so we can watch him all day. Better yet, I have a GoPro we can mount to his chest to get the first person view. Pay per view anyone?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ummm - Chris is 9 feet tall... Not sure what you would see with a camera on his chest.
Maybe his front bumper?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After four hours under the coupe I give up. Tranny is on the bell housing studs but not far enough to install nuts. I am 5/8" from bell housing. I have no leverage, I have pushed, wiggled, shoved. Splines are engaged on clutch, I must be at the pilot bearing which I did a trial fit so I know it's good.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 186

tmason

Reaction score
I had that same issue and it was at the pilot bearing.I kept wiggling it around and it slowly slipped on,if I recall I put a little pressure with a floor jack and than wiggled it?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe the clutch disk is not centered enough? There is some wiggle room on centering this when using the plastic centering pin, so it could be off a bit.

Could the pivot arm inside the bell housing be hanging up on something?