b35 Install Tomorrow

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
You did centralize the clutch when you put it on, right?

You did centralize the clutch when you put it on, right?
Don't bugger up the edge of the pilot bearing or the nose of the input shaft will be even harder to get it. I usually check and make sure there's a very slight/smooth chamfer on the inner diameter so the shaft is more likely to go in with a slight misalignment. At least the BMW tranny is light enough to man handle without a jack.

Did you try tipping the engine backward a little and loosening the bell housing bolt so you have more wiggle ability?

Sometimes it's a B even with everything out of the car

John

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used the clutch tool when PP was installed, checked pilot bearing, lubed input shaft, tranny in gear, raised and lowered engine, did same to tranny. It wouldn't fit over the studs until the shaft engaged the clutch, then went in 1/2", housing now covers the studs but it needs to go in another 5/8".

I will not loosen bell housing, that was hard enough to install!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I remember putting mine in, very different from a ford or for that matter any foreign car I've done before. I got everything lined up and had to shake quite a bit to wiggle it in. Still used the bolts to "pull" it together, but did it very slowly shaking it in between. If you have it over the studs your input shaft should be good so it just needs some slow love to get it all seated. I was very happy to have everything work at that point because I did NOT want to do that one twice. :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Peter, it's so close I know it has to go in. I was advised to lay on my back, put trans on chest and lift it in. I didn't want to do that, I'm too old.

tmason

Reaction score
I remember what I did is I had a pint to relaxed and just started over removing,lining up and balancing on my floor jack before it went right on.Don't force it because it does go right so you can bolt it.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Remove hood,

Once the splines slide into the clutch turning it is not possible.

Remove hood, engine, assemble everything, raise car 24" off the ground, install complete assembly.

This is how I do my other cars and i never have help because Stan lives too far away. I'll try my E9 install (single handed) next year, and after all the advice I'll probably get stuck just like you!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remove hood, engine, assemble everything, raise car 24" off the ground, install complete assembly.

This is how I do my other cars and i never have help because Stan lives too far away. I'll try my E9 install (single handed) next year, and after all the advice I'll probably get stuck just like you!

OK after that shot over the bow, I will come down and help! Just not on a day of a Patriots home game.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, as Peter mentioned, the shaking of the transmission while pushing it forward came flooding back into my memory.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not so quick Stan

OK after that shot over the bow, I will come down and help! Just not on a day of a Patriots home game.

Let's get you new motor done first. I saw your head at Mario's today, in a big pile of aluminum swarf. I think you are going to be very happy and maybe a little nervous the first time you stomp on it with the new motor. I was there to pick up my CR gearbox (the one I got from R. Perry). We ended up wasting significant time talking about the bath I'm taking on my Elva, and other good ways to waste lots of money with nothing to show for it.

Dishonest seller sold me gnd up restored race car that actually needs EVERYTHING redone, starting with a tube frame that is twisted and probably cracked. Anyone know a good laywer south of Toronto? I think I have a well documented case against the fellow...

After your motor is done, then you can help me with mine.

Chris, about lifting it without a jack. At mario's shop, my 5spd seemed a Great deal heavier than I last remembered. Of course i was in my early thirties the last time i lifted and fit one into place (b housing and gearbox in one piece. I hope you've got it on a jack so you can focus on the aligning and wiggling.

John

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you check the fit of the P bushing

Thanks Peter, it's so close I know it has to go in. I was advised to lay on my back, put trans on chest and lift it in. I didn't want to do that, I'm too old.

Did you check the fit of the P bushing on the first motion shaft? Sometimes they can be tight as new or in the case of the jag they can get nicked or ever so slightly distorted when they are driven into the end of the crank. I've also seen it where the shaft starts out going in slightly ****ed, which creates a very slight ridge in the bore of the bushing (I should have said I've seen myself commit this mistake...). That then makes it a bit snug to get all the way on.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe the clutch disk is not centered enough? There is some wiggle room on centering this when using the plastic centering pin, so it could be off a bit.

Sven, I think you nailed it. After an hour on my back under the trans, legs under the motor, I couldn't get it to budge. I rented a trans jack but it was so big I had to slide it under car and then lift the trans, wouldn't tilt enough either. Another hour of wiggling, I gave up and took your advice. Tranny out, bell housing off (what a pain), loosened pressure plate, inserted tool, it seemed a bit low. Centered it, tightened bolts and crossed my fingers. Don called and suggested I attach bell housing to trans which is what I did. This whole process took another three hours as I had to keep wedging stuff under the trans, adjust motor height, trans height and angle about a million times. Every muscle aches but it is all secure. Will take a break tomorrow, it's time for a beer or two! John, yes, the tranny weighs a ton. Thanks for everyone's moral support and advice, the tough stuff is now done, the rest will be a piece of cake.

Chris

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats

Nice job
Pilot tool: those plastic things SUX. Get an input shaft out of an old 4spd. It won't snap
off as you center the friction disc with the PP on enough to give a little friction. It's length also gives you a better chance of judging if everthing is good alignment (apparently your hurdle).

And, I though your idea of doing the bell housing first was brilliant. I've always been dung and man handled the whole think as a complete assembly. Makes getting to the bell housing fasteners 2x harder (I have 3ft worth of 1/2 drive extensions for this).

Well, we all benefit from your pain. Thanks for documenting the work.

Who is going to figure out the Dtakl + five spd?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well done. Sounds like a rough day. I'll drink to that. Cheeers.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

Attaching bell housing and trans first worked better, don't have to worry about TO bearing falling off. Two big M10 bolts have dowels to align the bolts.

After two Aleve, went out to dinner with wife, kids and grandkids at Umami Burger, had two amber ales, very good!