b35 Install Tomorrow

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Best Picture

John,

Attaching bell housing and trans first worked better, don't have to worry about TO bearing falling off. Two big M10 bolts have dowels to align the bolts.

After two Aleve, went out to dinner with wife, kids and grandkids at Umami Burger, had two amber ales, very good!

Normally, I'd ask for a picture of Chris with his entire front side and forearms covered with black grime. But, unfortunately Chris and his toys are SO CLEAN, that I doubt he had to change his shirt before going out for dinner.

John

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John, I stayed pretty clean today. Installed trans support, slave cylinder, backup wires, then remembered I didn't tighten that impossible to get to upper left trans nut! Out came support and slave, lowered engine, barely got it tightened using 19mm box, 19mm open and a 3/4 box as the wall was thinner. Success. Then installed driveshaft and started bending the new fuel return pipe that I bought for an e12 I think. The ECU harness is next, then plenum/runners and the radiator. Still need to lengthen the new fuel pump.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Worked on the ECU harness, distributor wires and downpipes. As usual, got downpipes installed only to figure out they need to be loose to slip onto center resonator which is hanging under the car, will tackle that tomorrow. Tightened guibo bolts/nuts, check, also installed radiator. I have room between it and fan but not much. Got my distributor all set up after having it locked/staked, had a fun time getting wires through my wire tube but it has to look correct. The harness is through the firewall but getting it situated behind the head will be fun, it looks like a spiderweb.

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 198

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's finally starting to look like a proper motor again. Got the harness fitted, installed the intake runners/plenum, barn door, and new short dipstick housing so I can use the old style M30 dipstick. I need to install heater which I'm not looking forward too and fuel return line plus mount ECU.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.jpg
    IMG_3136.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 189

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow Chris, you have outdone yourself. looks amazing! so are you using the air filter housing from the b35 car ... or something else? if its the b35 housing, would like to hear how you are mounting it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend made those covers a couple years ago. I am using b35 air box but will paint grey D-jet style even though shape is very different. ECU will be above the glove box, that will take a bit of work.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very cool. I don't think my engine bay will ever be that clean; I'll have to enjoy Chris' instead. Hope to see it at LOTA one day.

rb1971

Reaction score
Chris-

In my coupe we installed the ECU in a box in the passenger foot well where it starts to ramp up. The box protects the ECU and people don't really step there. It allowed us to keep the glove box relatively factory (well, as factory as anything is in my car - the small fuse box that runs all the modern stuff is in there). It does require some cutting of the under-carpet foam. Something to consider.

-John

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris-

In my coupe we installed the ECU in a box in the passenger foot well where it starts to ramp up. The box protects the ECU and people don't really step there. It allowed us to keep the glove box relatively factory (well, as factory as anything is in my car - the small fuse box that runs all the modern stuff is in there). It does require some cutting of the under-carpet foam. Something to consider.

-John

Juicy Lucy --- factory??? hahaha. I have been in that car
A very nice sweet ride, not quite stock

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it at all possible to locate the ECU and fuses under the back passenger seat? That's where it is on the CSi. Invisible and out of the way.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are 51 pins in the plug for ECU, even though some aren't needed (I removed 12 I think) that's a lot of wires to extend all the way to back seat.