Back In The Game

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Starting a restoration on a 1973 3.0 CS purchased at the beginning of summer. The car has bounced around the forum for a few years and ended up in Minnesota before arriving in UT. Thanks to @Markos for putting me in touch with the seller. I drove the car all summer and the engine ran really strong. After hitting 90mph on I80 with the windows down ripping out the headliner and getting blinded with 50 years of rust and dirt I realized it was probably time to start the process. Currently painted Baikal she was originally Ceylon so considering going back to original color or possible Taiga which is my favorite. Trailered her to Seattle a couple of weeks ago and with a lot of very experienced help took her apart. There's rust in the usual places but nothing that can't be fixed. Going for 3.5 with megasquirt and hopefully turn her into a beast that will rival my car last one that's sitting in the garage or @ItsFred. Thanks to Jake Messer, @bimbill ,@BMW Pete and especially @Sven for all the help hard work and guidance so far.

Here are pics of the tear down, I'll try and keep posting as the progress continues.

IMG_3063.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3571.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

IMG_3579.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3586.jpeg

IMG_3608.jpeg

IMG_3608.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3615.jpeg

IMG_3602.jpeg

IMG_3618.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Your headliner story made me laugh out loud. These cars have a way of reminding us who's in charge.

The previous owner of my coupe didn't bother dealing with rust around the rear window and while going down the freeway with the windows down the window blew off the car.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, this looks quite sound. Excellent pick up. You stripped THAT much in a few weeks, great progress. Where can you stash all of the bits and boxes? I always struggle with finding extra room as the disassembled car needs way more space than the assembled car.

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@bluecoupe30! thanks yes it's turning out to be better than we originally thought although there's definitely a number of areas that will need to be addressed. The disassembly only took about 5 days but I had some amazing help specifically two people that knew what they were doing and then me to scape and vacuum up the rust and dirt. I drove back to UT with a truck full of parts to have plated and powder coated in addition to the entire interior, so helped free up some space back in WA.

7F41D510-A48E-4D78-9ADD-6EFBAA04185B@lan.jpeg
989D9968-AFE9-4EB4-AFC4-0864BF0E5F33@lan.jpeg
89415839-0553-4D8E-93BD-A89D2D2F8245@lan.jpeg
A04AC6E1-A5E3-4008-9694-A7CB2B28BFA0@lan.jpeg
BFAFCE4F-88E2-4C8E-A8BA-FAF49B4C65DE@lan.jpeg
C57CC42D-4BBF-4678-8504-E94E3295C83B@lan.jpeg
C0869101-4E3B-4925-B7EC-9DF0805B4A00@lan.jpeg
FE9602D2-F0AD-4E36-8BA5-C11A2CBFE9FE@lan.jpeg

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I should have taken a before pic because these were a leaking mess. Shop in Salt Lake called CV Axel Express. Turned them around in two days and charged me approx $140.00 all in which seems like a pretty good deal. They're happy to except shipping but weight of these will probably make it unrealistic. Might be worth adding to resource list for anyone somewhat local.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 194

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
I should have taken a before pic because these were a leaking mess. Shop in Salt Lake called CV Axel Express. Turned them around in two days and charged me approx $140.00 all in which seems like a pretty good deal. They're happy to except shipping but weight of these will probably make it unrealistic. Might be worth adding to resource list for anyone somewhat local.
I’m at the point in my coupe journey where I’m more excited about making the underside as beautiful as the top. It might be irrational but it gives me joy.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great update, really looking forward to seeing you getting stuck into the rot, it'll all be worth it when all those new shiny bits start getting bolted onto the car, at least that's what I keep telling myself on mine.

As for colour, the correct shade of ceylon really is something special, looks fantastic polished up like @Wes coupe. Some of those very 70s colours, ceylon and sienna spring to mind where most owners repainted them and you just don't see many about any more. That said, paint it whatever colour you want!

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great update, really looking forward to seeing you getting stuck into the rot, it'll all be worth it when all those new shiny bits start getting bolted onto the car, at least that's what I keep telling myself on mine.

As for colour, the correct shade of ceylon really is something special, looks fantastic polished up like @Wes coupe. Some of those very 70s colours, ceylon and sienna spring to mind where most owners repainted them and you just don't see many about any more. That said, paint it whatever colour you want!
thanks @nosmonkey yes it's starting to feel less overwhelming each day but there's still a long way to go and this is really the easy part. I couldn't even attempt this without Sven running the show and to be honest the day after we finished pulling everything off the car and it was just down to the shell I had an incredible urge to just dig a large hole in Sven's garden bury everything, say it was stolen and collect the insurance!!! Luckily Sven was the voice of reason so we kept moving forward.

While I LOVE Ceylon I've decided to go with Taiga which is my favorite E9 Color. I know the car might be more valuable going back to the original but I didn't want a black interior and just felt like Ceylon with tobacco wouldn't be a great look. Ceylon with black has to be the way to go in MHO, and because this car is for me I wanted to make it my favorite color. So it's Taiga with tobacco leather and bamboo carpet today. Tomorrow could be Inka Black :)