BaT: Euro 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like they painted over the sound deadening material on the front towers. You'd have thought with all that money pouring into it, that would have been the first place to start... Worrying absence of any pics from the bottom up or of problem areas... Hmm. Could be trouble

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
seriously worried on how they lifted this car: see how the rigt pad is just slipping off? It must rest also on the very flimsy floor section just out of the pic on the right side.
1619712090425.png

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If this is a Euro car, what's with the front side marker reflectors but no rear marker lights? Did Euro cars come this way? Did the fronts have to be added at the time of importation but not the rears? Were the rears removed during the restoration but not the fronts?

How about the CSI stripe. Was this present on all CSIs? Euro only? Factory option? Dealer option? Aftermarket? Even if it is supposed to be there, I don't think I'd have the guts to add it back after the restoration (especially on a car that has been modified in other ways). Like the front marker reflectors, they only detract from the beautiful lines of an E9.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Even though not the original Red paint, Fjord/Tan leather is by far my favorite color combo. This should be interesting to watch. I don't recall seeing this around locally at C&C or anything. Macha probably knows who this belongs to. What is the over/under on it hitting $100K? It seems like these sort of cars, although not perfect have been hitting high marks lately with no signs of letting up. Especially on BAT.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, CSIs shouldn't have ANY sidemarkers on them. I never seen one on there. Graymarket cars shouldn't need it. Maybe some owner wanted to be like other US cars.

It's customary to paint the insulation on the shock towers. I don't care for the insulation, but it is correct for the car.

Not much I can fault w/the car; probably will generate $100k me thinks.

tmh

Reaction score
This car appears to me to be much nicer than the recent $145K car. I would expect any signs of rust would have been attended to at this level of disassembly.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A @teahead alluded to, it is not only customary to paint the sound deadening, that is how it came from the factory.

Looks like they painted over the sound deadening material on the front towers. You'd have thought with all that money pouring into it, that would have been the first place to start...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ya, CSIs shouldn't have ANY sidemarkers on them. I never seen one on there. Graymarket cars shouldn't need it. Maybe some owner wanted to be like other US cars.

This is highly contingent by the state that received the grey market car. My euro 2800cs has a mph speedo, and reflectors front and rear, and US signals. I don’t know what state it landed in, but it has been in Washington since the early 80’s.

My CSI was imported to WA, as the rivited import tag highlighted. This car had a KMH speedo, and no sidemarkers. It also had euro signals.

When it comes to reflectors, we have seen front with no rear, rear with no front, both, and none. I’ve also seen euro bumpers with safety bars welded in. Neither of my cars had this.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This car appears to me to be much nicer than the recent $145K car. I would expect any signs of rust would have been attended to at this level of disassembly.

The car is visually stunning. I hate to guess BaT behavior but I would be shocked if it didn’t hit the low $100K mark.

Here are my observations on the car.

• Side reflectors front/rear
  • Early symbol heater panel
  • Defroster switch for rear fog, wrong side of column
  • North America mirror placement on doors

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I'll stand by my earlier statement. If they wanted to make it correct to that extreme they should have deleted the reflectors etc. Zero pics of the known problem areas and fresh paint could (not saying they do) be indicative of a high end fluff. I mean, we're talking about a coupe. They hide rust better than any other car I know... Then again he could have just forgotten to focus on those problem areas when he was taking the other 415 pictures;)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Strange also is the US dash with seat belt warning, they added a US EPA sticker maybe to get it registered in CA, painted the trans, plenum/manifolds and valve cover (that will look poorly in 2-3 years), Motronic 1.3 dizzy and crank sensor but no AFM, throttle housing has the arm for an automatic along with the vertical accelerator rod, pebble paint coat in spare tire/trunk areas, e12 jack (the head is much too wide just like mine!), tools have been ordered but they won’t be complete or correct, body work done in some guys back yard in Calimesa near San Bernardino, that’s a lot of filler on the tail panel, homemade spare tire hold down post with a wing nut, black kick panels, no rubber seal on B pillar cover to fender, screws in front door wood strips at rear, based on window switches and lack of breakers it has sardine can motors but no access plugs, clock keeps perfect time as long as it 9:58, gas door boot is not attached to body, yes most is nit picking but at the price this will sell for these details should have been fixed. And I can’t unsee the side stripes which are not level to the belt trim!