Chamonix 3.0CS Restoration

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
5464E6D6-B298-43D0-80F7-22867443D78A.jpeg

Installing Fritz Bits exhaust in the Malaga coupe on Monday and will swap its newer stock exhaust into Chamonix and then I will start for the first time in four months.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
It’s fun to watch people who know their stuff really getting after a project. Nicely done. I loved the side marker light delete and the welding work is worthy of admiration.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Exhaust system from my Malaga coupe is now installed and should be ready to fire up for the first time in four months. I’m always nervous at this point although I shouldn’t be!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One step forward and one step back it seems. When Paul was here yesterday I fired up the coupe only to find a massive exhaust leak so manifold has been removed for machining (guess which cylinder). This was after I had no power to the coil which I quickly diagnosed as I had dislodged the triple GN-SW wires from the spade on Fuse #6 when tracing burnt wires three months ago.
9125DCB8-BDCE-42F6-BD1A-16A9FF5CE2D2.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One step forward and one step back it seems. When Paul was here yesterday I fired up the coupe only to find a massive exhaust leak so manifold has been removed for machining (guess which cylinder). This was after I had no power to the coil which I quickly diagnosed as I had dislodged the triple GN-SW wires from the spade on Fuse #6 when tracing burnt wires three months ago.
Just had mine done, surely they warp over time.

C38878B8-81A5-4CCE-9FCE-454AE561B4D4.jpeg

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
It’s up and running again but the tires although new are 19 years old (!) and feels like an oxcart. Love the rake with the Billies in back (not).

View attachment 141647
Yeah, about that rake, throw some Crager’s and a set of slicks on it and take it to the drag strip. Just kidding of course. Amazing work. Wish I was in the market for a coupe.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a leak at the PS pump where the high pressure line enters the pump. The hose end has a flare which fits over a cone in the pump, I messed with it for too long and then Paul gave me a spare HP hose, got it in and same problem! So I pulled the pump, another unpleasant task without a lift but not too bad. I turned the pump over and the 27mm nut above the fitting was finger tight, not good and the real source of my leak. Tightened it up, installed pump and finally no leaks.

Also, my tires look new but are 19 years old. Paul lent me his fps BMW 20 spoke wheels with new tires and what a difference, I can take it on the freeway if I wanted but I will gradually take longer and longer trips for now.

5CC129AD-4D71-4FE1-B26A-8DC3D507EB42.jpeg
1FA95D8D-5641-4A6F-B0AF-B37DD42D206C.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Haven’t updated in a while but Paul came over and dialed in the Zeniths, what a transformation and he does it by ear and feel. Lots of power, who needs a b35 lol?
I also installed e28 window motors, my rears are faster than the front, incredible.

She sounds very happy running through the gears.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, now that this is a keeper what wheel/tire combo and steering wheel will you have?
Great question! I am thinking of going with new 14” Alpinas but the XWX tires are currently not available but I have time. And 16” Alpinas have become very hard to find and very expensive too!