Since I last updated this I've spend the GDP of a small country at W&N and we are only just getting started
The Car has been off to the blasting works to give the problem areas a good going over. Before anyone chimes in to the contrary I don't recommend this unless parts of your car need it AND you really trust the blasting works. In my case the business owner is a life long friend and we devised a process that would give us the desired result without overheating or distorting the car. We did this via using the 'mighty might' on the lowest possible pressure and using second hand garnet abrasive as it's less harsh. I also was present when the work was done, as was my panel guy.
Just to further ensure we got the desired result we painted the sections we wanted done pink. 'If you see pink blast it, once all the pink is gone - STOP.' The rest of this work we will do by hand as we don't want to risk damaging original panel work.
Here is the car arriving at the blasting works. Love the whole demolition derby look we have going on.
The rear has already had some beating work done and looks much better.
I've also secured some mounting brackets for this roof hoop that came with the car. Was still in the original wrapping. Turns out it was Werner Hand a friend of @Keshav
what a small world.
While the car was away Simon turned his attention to the doors. This is just etch primer but they are as straight as an arrow and the original alloy skins were in excellent condition so have been restored rather than replaced. Where possible I want to keep the original fabric of the car, so long as it doesn't compromise safety or the quality of the restoration.
The car came back yesterday, pretty happy with the results.
The boot area came up a treat.
This week we will focus on welding in some temporary reinforcing for the chassis ahead of starting to remove and replace all of the rusted sections around the A Pillar and the inner fenders. Then the subframe will come off and we will be in a position to work on the underside of the car.