CSL Barn Find 2285251

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
socket + swivel + extension ?

No way will that get the bolt on the top right as you cant get sufficient access. I might get better access once the pedal box is out of the way?
Perhaps I could get it with one of funny looking ring spanners you showed earlier, particularly the one near the starter motor?
Anyone done this on a RHD car before as I suspect this makes a difference.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
indeed Wes, that will be the difference…. didn't realise you work on a RHD …. i only did it on LHD of course....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hook up your motor to your cherry picker. Completely remove the motor mounts. Next lower the motor past the point of the motor mounts.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hook up your motor to your cherry picker. Completely remove the motor mounts. Next lower the motor past the point of the motor mounts.

I'm planning on lifting the motor out. I've removed the nuts from the pair of bushed mounts toward the front of the motor along with the gear box, so this should take care of the transmission mount?
Have also pulled radiator, alternator, high pressure pump and oil filter down left hand side of block. On the right the wiper bottle, coil, ignition wiring etc.
This should give me enough wriggle room for the lift. If I can get the bell housing off even more room?

Anybody else had experience in pulling vs dropping the motor?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm planning on lifting the motor out. I've removed the nuts from the pair of bushed mounts toward the front of the motor along with the gear box, so this should take care of the transmission mount?
Have also pulled radiator, alternator, high pressure pump and oil filter down left hand side of block. On the right the wiper bottle, coil, ignition wiring etc.
This should give me enough wriggle room for the lift. If I can get the bell housing off even more room?

Anybody else had experience in pulling vs dropping the motor?

My comment about removing the mounts and lowering the engine was to enable you to reach the bellhousing bolts. :)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
don't know Markos….. as now , the engine will be resting at the back on the frame/steering rod…. ? so it won't lower whatever you do in front ? Yes, if it rotates and more acces from above that way ?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wes- I’ve done this dozens of times, it will reach with the right tool set up.
You need 3 feet of extensions. Use a helper to set the socket on the bolt heads by feel.
Use the swivel. Use a long ratchet.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another day down on the car.
Managed to get those last two bell-housing bolts but for the life of me it still wont budge. What am I missing here?
It looks like the motor may well come out with the bell-housing still on as it looks like I've the wriggle room now the radiator is gone?

Also got the pedal box out, brake lines removed from the engine bay, fed the wiring harness back into the cabin and dropped the fan to give me more room.

Getting pretty close to being ready to lift out the engine.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A991D5D0-96FB-4C62-9F8E-26A279AAF948.jpeg
7 bolts

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My experience would go just like this had I tried. I’m sure folks on here can pull the bellhousing in an hour, but that isn’t me. Thanks for sharing your paint and success. One is the things that used to bother me when working on jeeps is that many of the technical owners would exaggerate the time and ease of repairs. I don’t see much of that here but all experiences may vary. It is good to capture “real world” experiences. Keep it up!

Another day down on the car.
Managed to get those last two bell-housing bolts but for the life of me it still wont budge. What am I missing here?
It looks like the motor may well come out with the bell-housing still on as it looks like I've the wriggle room now the radiator is gone?

Also got the pedal box out, brake lines removed from the engine bay, fed the wiring harness back into the cabin and dropped the fan to give me more room.

Getting pretty close to being ready to lift out the engine.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Was supposed to go SCUBA diving today but it rained all night so decided Plan B was to put in a full day on the car. Today I had both apprentices.
First job was to assemble the engine crane we hired, talk about overkill for the job.

IMG_4328.jpg

The plan was to lift out the motor with the bell-housing still attached. If it turned out there wasn't enough room in the engine bay for that I'd lift the engine forward first so I could get at the last two bolts holding the housing. First things first though was a small lift to get it off the tow mounts. HOT TIP - undo the mounts from underneath the car. That way when you lift the studs don't snag. Only realised it was a problem when the car started lifting instead of the engine.

IMG_4329.jpg

Bugger. Not enough room to swing it out. After a bit of mucking around the housing came away with no troubles.
Let the engine back down, reset the chains and off we go again.

IMG_4333.jpg

Now we are cooking with gas..

IMG_4336.jpg

Victory.. Lola is blurry as she isn't actually on the ground...

IMG_4340.jpg

Bit more room in here now.

IMG_4343.jpg

After some jiggling the engine is now on 'the pile.'

IMG_4342.jpg

We finished out the day dropping out the tail shaft, fuel lines and pump along with the hydraulic line that runs the length of the tunnel under the car along with the last few things left in the engine bay. I plan on pulling the wiring loom from the brain tomorrow I think @Markos has a how to on his part out thread? The car is scheduled to go to the body works in two weeks. We will leave her as a roller until it gets there.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A good days work!
Can’t wait to see the cleaned up version!

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
whoops missed this one
glad u have it out ill follow from now on
the whole unit will come out w/ the trans
i set my m5 and 5sp together and i goes right in
u did the only thing slope and then reset the angle.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @Wes,

Your days of referencing my posts are
coming to an end. I shall be referencing your sometime in the very distant future when I am
actually putting mine back together.

I did write about pulling the brain wiring. Just get the brain plug inline with the frame rail and wrap it up tight to prevent gunk getting into the plug. There is an access hole in the passenger footwell which helps. Don’t looks the cover, they are NLA. The brain wiring goes into the frame via a hole by the ignition coil. That is where you pull from. If you hit a snag just push a bit and try again.

BTW - Only CSI’s and CSL’s have that frame rail hole. It is one of 7 body difference that I can think of, excluding the sheetmetal gauge.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi @Wes,

Your days of referencing my posts are
coming to an end. I shall be referencing your sometime in the very distant future when I am
actually putting mine back together.

I did write about pulling the brain wiring. Just get the brain plug inline with the frame rail and wrap it up tight to prevent gunk getting into the plug. There is an access hole in the passenger footwell which helps. Don’t looks the cover, they are NLA. The brain wiring goes into the frame via a hole by the ignition coil. That is where you pull from. If you hit a snag just push a bit and try again.

BTW - Only CSI’s and CSL’s have that frame rail hole. It is one of 7 body difference that I can think of, excluding the sheetmetal gauge.

Thanks mate. I was actually curious on how you detach the brain from the cable, before you feed it back.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I was actually curious on how you detach the brain from the cable, before you feed it back.

I’d check the thread but I think it just has a typical tab that fits into a hole on brain receptacle. @sfdon would know, but regardless it should be self evident once you unscrew the brain.

Reactions: Wes