CSL Redo for Vintage Racing

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Plumbing and Wiring_2

Here are some shots of our progress on the plumbing and wiring:

enginecompartment.jpg

Here is the business end of things. We are using hard lines for fuel to the carbs, but they are fed by a flexible manifold line under the carbs. This will allow the carbs to move a bit on their soft mounts (Korman says this is essential), while preventing fuel starvation to any one of the three carbs. For those that complained about the chrome valve cover, I hope the new one works better for you! :-D I think it came out pretty nice.

oiltank_2.jpg

This is where it all begins. Fuel cell is not in yet, but here is the oil reservoir, fuel pump, mount, and fire bottle. JR came up with a real trick mount for the oil reservoir and fuel pump. You can also see the extra bracing we put in the trunk to protect all these vital parts.

plumbing.jpg

Here is the fuel line coming up to the fuel regulator and then over to the carbs. You can also see the oil filter housing and some of the oil lines. There are more to come.

plumbing_2.jpg

Finally, here are the hard lines for oil and fuel mounted under the car. You can also see the drain hole for the oil reservoir. Also the fuel cell is in its hole.

We have decided on a brake package. We are going to go with Brembo brakes in front. 4-piston calipers and 2-piece floating rotors, 13.1” diameter, slotted.

The rears will be E34, 1994 540 vented discs and calipers. Dual master set up with Tilton pedals- cyl size to be determined with calipers used. Biasing set up with pressure guages in dash to confirm settings and brake power distribution.

We are also planning on using BMW E28 front struts from 88 5 series (ball wheel bearing instead of taper bearings) and (ABS type BMW hubs- though we will not be using ABS), and 83 E24- 633 rear trailing arms.

Last edited:

threewebers

Reaction score
Race car

Very,Very nice!! I really like the color scheme you chose....I'm struggling with color choice... Thought about silver with black stripes or maybe dark blue with an offset maroon stripe?? Any thoughts?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
June 10 Update

Well we missed the Sonoma Vintage Races. :oops: I was disappointed, but am still determined to do the car properly. Our next target is the Portland Historics the second weekend in July.

GMT in the process of updating their web site and they have added a "Projects" tab with some of the projects they are working on. My car is shown here:

http://gmtbend.com/2011/06/11/3-0-csl-race-car-june-10/

Click on any image to enlarge it for greater clarity. They will be updating the projects weekly. Take a look and leave Josh, their web guru, some comments.

Lot's of detail progress- more wiring, plumbing, and that sort of thing. Radiator is in and plumbed, along with oil cooler. Fuel and fire systems are complete.

Still working on installation of the 320i steering rack. The dry sump plumbing is causing some rethinking on it as well as front sway bar.

Found this while cruising the web. Great inspiration!

img_0101.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Monterey?

GMT is making slow progress on the car. Things keep cascading in one us. For example, fitting of both the 320i steering rack and the front sway bar has been complicated by the location of the dry-sump plumbing coming out of the oil pan. Lots-o-fabrication and tinkering.

Here's the latest update:

http://gmtbend.com/projects/csl-early-july-2011-update/

Keeping my fingers crossed that we make Monterey.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Aluminum Hoods

The new aluminum hood skins are just about completed. They were formed by Steve Hogue down in Torrance, CA. (http://www.stevehogueenterprises.com/)

He had some people quit on him just as my project arrived, so it took a bit longer than he thought to complete.

I don't remember who it was on this board that recommended Steve, but "Thank You!" They turned out great. All Steve needs to do is cinch the new skins on the old steel frames and ship them. We will fit one to the car and then send it out for paint.

008.jpg

011.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@bdigel- Yes, for the time being. We are running out of time if we are going to make Monterey. The big issue is getting the geometry correct for it to work properly. We have enough on our plates to finish as it is without biting off that.

m_thompson

Reaction score
In picture GOPR0049.jpg the bolt is going from bottom to top. I thought that you always put bolts from top to bottom in a race car. Is the picture upside down?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thrashing Away!

It's going to be close, but I think we will make it. Doors are on, rear suspension is complete. Pedals and steering column are in. Last few bits and pieces are coming in this week. The only big item still in process are the front struts which are at Ground Control for some modifications.

We have ORP reserved for a shakedown on Monday the 8th.

Here's the latest update from GMT:

http://gmtbend.com/projects/csl2-0-update-july-25/

And this just added as well:

http://gmtbend.com/projects/csl2-0-july-27th/

Last edited:

roundel

Reaction score
ex Le Mans CSL

There is one important word missing. `Classic`.......ex Le Mans Classic.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
July 29 Update

It's getting close! Lots of progress on little stuff. Front turn signals didn't fit the fiberglass fenders, so we came up with a way to just mount the lenses. Looks pretty good.

Lots of brake line work. We were able to borrow a crimper from the local supplier. It made the job so much easier.

We also just found out that the car has been accepted for display at the "Concours on the Avenue" in downtown Carmel on Tuesday the 16th. Stop by if you are there. I'd love to meet some of you E9er's in person.

Here's the latest from GMT:

http://gmtbend.com/projects/csl-2-0-july-29th/

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Crunch Time!

Less then 72 hours to our scheduled test at ORP on Monday. The car is coming along nicely. Take a look:

http://gmtbend.com/projects/csl-2-0-august-1-5-final-week-of-build/

We will be loosing the silver stripe around the belt line. We also have an issue with the rear tires fitting under the rear fenders. We had to redo the trailing arms and shorten the axels to make everything fit. The only missing part left to fab are the link arms for the front sway bar. They are in process as we speak.

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Late Nighter

A few more pictures (cell phone camera alert) from late last night.

We did get the rear wheels tucked up under the fenders. Graphics are just about complete. Front suspension is complete. There should be fire in the hole later today.

Decals.jpg

FrontSusp.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We didn't make it to ORP today. Rats! We just had too many details to complete. We did get her fired up yesterday, after some electrical gremlins tried their best to keep her quiet.

Last few suspension details tomorrow, then align and corner balancing. We have another opportunity to use the track on Wednesday.

CSLO:H.jpg