CSL Redo for Vintage Racing

pamp

Reaction score
Oh Man...

Need to start a new tread for this topic...
000_0286.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finally a Power Figure

Before this thread gets hijacked I'd better get us back on track . . .

Latest from Korman is that the engine is off the dyno and being crated for shipment back to us. Finally got a detailed explanation of the problems they encountered.

They started out with a set of jets and chokes that they thought were pretty close. They did runs, changed, measured, changed, measured, ad nauseum. At the last round they were making jet changes but not seeing the mixture change proportionately. That's when they ditched the ignition system we had on the car and got a special application Pertronix unit, coil, and they changed spark plug heat range yet again. They also installed a fuel pressure regulator that had more volume. It's doubtful we would ever have it under the sustained load they did, but they also don't have to contend with lateral loads. We know the float bowls will stay full now.

With those installed, things started reacting in a predictable manner. Through all these changes the power never changed too dramatically, but they achieved stable exhaust gas readings and in Jimmy's words, "it just sounds better." To quote, "Anyone else we'd toss that statement out, but he was right, the cadence of the engine got "happy" for lack of a better term."

Now a drum roll please . . .

350 HP!!

Pretty stout for a single cam, carb motor. They are still working on the final torque curves, but the engine pulls hard from 5500 RPM up to 8500 RPM. Ray opined that they've been more interested in the shape of the curve than the high point, and are pleased with that too. A bigger cam would probably net another 15hp, but would make it so peaky lap times would suffer. He is recommending a 7600-7800 rev limit, and he thinks it will last a good long time.

It's been a long, trying process, but the end result is worth it- me thinks.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dyno Sheet

I've attached the dnyo sheet which came from Korman today. A bit over 300 ft/lbs of torque at 5000 RPM, and over 300 HP from 5300 up to peak hp of 350 at about 7250-7500 rpm.

A nice wide power band, and I will have over 300 HP available throughout the normal operating range of the engine. When I shift, I should land on peak torque.

Should pull hard out of corners, and if we get the gearing right, it should pull hard all the way up to max rpm (7600-7800) before I shift.

Can't wait to get her on track.

Car is back at Redstone for some final welding. Then of to final blast, gluing fenders on, and paint. Check their site regularly for updated pictures.

GMT dyno263.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Engine is crated up and headed back to OR. All the final work and adjustments have been completed on it. Korman has included a jetting chart and full set of jets, as well as complete break-in and maintenance instructions for the engine.

The tub is undergoing final welding and preparations for her final blasting. Once that is complete it will be time to start putting her back together.

Below are some shots of her on the rotisserie during final welding.

CSLonRot_1.jpg

CSLonRot_2.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What a nice Christmas present! My car had long ago lost its original factory VIN plate. My friend Arthur had this made up for me.

The cherry on the restoration sundae!

CSL vinplate.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
New years is brining some progress on the car. The engine is on its way from Korman to Bend and should get there this week. The car is back at Redstone from the blaster. It has also been powder coated in the engine compartment, interior, and trunk area. They have also begun shooting primer on the exterior in preparation for mounting fenders, etc.

My other BMW project is also moving along nicely. While not an E9, it is a fun car. It is TiSA #193, which is being rebuilt as a street car. It is back at the shop from the paint shop, and ready to begin assembly.

Tisa193.jpg

CSLPrimed.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fenders and Air Dam

Redstone has begun hanging the front glass fenders and air dam. These parts came from Zap Racing in England, and are very high quality. I asked them to mount the air dam with Dzus fasteners to facilitate loading and unloading from the trailer. We will be cutting out the brake ducts later and adding tubes to carry the air to the front discs.

I also had them spray a slightly textured gray paint on the interior floors to help hide some of the wrinkles that still remained after straightening the tub, and also for better traction for my feet.

Won't be long before they are spraying color.

Link to complete project gallery:

http://www.redstonerestoration.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7796186

Photos of front end with fenders and air dam:
CSLFenders_1.jpg

CSLFenders_2.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Raer Fenders On

The car is really starting to take shape.

Redstone has completed mounting the rear fenders. They had to wait until Tim could bring over and mount the rear end so they could be sure both sides were properly located front-to-rear, and the rear hubs were centered in the wheel well on both sides.

I also had them mount the front air dam with Dzus fittings to make it easier to load the car in the trailer. They fabricated a front tow hook at the same time and incorporated it to mount the air dam. Came out pretty nice- I think.

CSL air dam.jpg

CSL Fenders On.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We Are In Primer!!

Body work is finally complete and the car is in primer. :-D

Here are some images of the fenders before primer, and the primer on:

CSL_body_1.jpg

CSL_body_2.jpg

CSL_primer_2.jpg

CSL_primer_4.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are a couple of whole body shots of the car out of the spray booth. They have begun final sanding in preparation for shooting color. We will shoot Inka as a base with black and Alpina green highlights:

Anybody have a source for Jagermeister graphics?

CSL_primer_5.jpg

CSL_primer_6.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Contact Sidney Frank Company, tell them what you are doing and they may make them for you for free.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All Primered and Ready for Color

Redstone has completed shooting primer on the car. They will be block-sanding her, fitting the doors, and shooting color this week.

GMT has been busy ordering parts- wiring loom, gauges, and other miscellaneous bits and pieces. Our goal is still the Sonoma Historics the first weekend in June.

cls_primer_12.jpg

csl_primer_10.jpg