CSL Redo for Vintage Racing

chicane

Reaction score
The Green Gosser Beer theme is the best not to mention that car has a rich winning race history.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Korman has engine on the dyno ready to run- except for cam gear and headers. Still waiting for those. Here she is:

walkdynoleft.jpg

walkdynor.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Redstone has completed work on the aluminum doors and rear deck lid. The deck lid was the victim of a hailstorm and needed a lot of help. I think it came out pretty nice.

Doors received NOS skins over steel frames. Aluminum is pinched around the door frame and riveted along the window slit.

CSL D&D.jpg

CSL Deck.jpg

CSL Doors.jpg

chicane

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning. When you are finished we want wallpapers!

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finally the engine is running on the dyno at Korman. They are planning on putting some time on it today and tomorrow, followed by jetting tests. Power and torque runs will begin Friday or Monday.

Here are some shots of the finalized exhaust. We have to be concerned with sound levels as many of the tracks I race on have sound limits. We are currently looking at light weight racing mufflers from Coast Fabrication (http://www.coastfab.com/mufflers.html). We are hoping that we can fab up a small muffler box in the passenger footwell floorboards, exiting just aft of the passenger door.

headerdyno.jpg

mergecolldyno.jpg

TJones02

Reaction score
Great to see progress! Do you have any history on the car? Were there any paint schemes hidden under the layers of paint? As cool as a Schnitzer themed car would be It'd be cooler to have some original period theme. I think the Gösser Bier is a little over done around the world.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
#**#&#%@s! from the dyno room.

The guys at Korman ran the engine under light loads to check timing, and individual exhaust gas temps and found one cylinder running lean. They checked everything they could with the Weber but couldn't determine a cause. So, the carb is headed back to Weber.

It seems the 50mm carbs are all hand assembled, and the thought is that we have a port or bypass somewhere in the body of the carb that has some crud left from manufacture or assembly.

Stay tuned.

sprintevo

Reaction score
just and observation

why would you run with the gearbox on the engine dyno - does this not complicate things?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
PROGRESS!!!

Korman has the engine running on their dyno! The carb issue has been solved. Weber wouldn't tell them what the problem was, but the replacement carb is working fine. The engine has been broken in, and they are running jetting tests before doing final power and torque tests. I will post the numbers as soon as I know.

The cage fabricator finally got off his duff and bent some tubing. Here are the results. Still need door bars on driver's side, but the main structure is done and looks good. He had some problems keeping the down tubes close to the a pillars, and we had to have him redo those several times until they were right. He says he will finish the welding this week. I'm a bit skeptical.

CSLCage_3.jpg

cslcage.jpg

threewebers

Reaction score
Cage

Very nice,If I could figure out haw to post a pic on this site I'd show you my cage......Your project is fantastic! The more pics the better,I really look forward to seeing your progress Thanks......Jeff

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff, Your photos have to comply with size requirements, too big and they don't attach. When you click Manage Attachments it lists them for you by format.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Some progress to report. The cage is just about complete. All that remains are the ties between the 'a' pillar tubes and the inner fenders, and a perimeter tube in the trunk for a little extra protection for fuel cell and oil reservoir. Pictures are below.

The engine is still on the dyno at Korman. They have been fighting an ignition issue that is necessitating a custom chip for the MDS box. Still no power figures! :( They hope to have it done this week.

CSL Cage_5.jpg

CSL Cage_4.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Heard from Korman, and the ignition part they've been waiting for finally came in- but it doesn't fit!!! Frustration meter is climbing.

Cage is finally complete & the car is headed back to GMT to begin assembly. It has been a long wait, but the finished cage looks really good. Here are some pictures:
finishedcage_1.jpg

finishedcage_2.jpg

finishedcage_3.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Redstone has posted some new pictures of the plastic fenders and air dam before and after primer. They were very high quality parts from Zap in England, so very little prep was needed. They are ready to glue onto the tub as soon as it gets back there from GMT.

GMT is fabing a custom diff mount. We are going to be using a later diff from an M6. I will post pictures once it is complete.

New pictures are numbered 161-169. Link to Redstone:

http://www.redstonerestoration.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=106748019

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We have decided to remove the NACA ducts in the rear fenders. They were not original to the 1973 Alpina car. Redstone has posted some shots of the process here:

http://www.redstonerestoration.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=107377152

BTW, my old Group 5 fenders have found a good home. My friend Arthur Porter from CO is restoring CSL #2211366. It was part of the original group (2211363 to 2211373) of early cars given over to various teams for racing. It was being used as a street car when he found it. He will have it back on track this summer. Here is a shot of my old fenders in their new home:

Attachments

• fenders.jpg
    fenders.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 285