CSL Redo for Vintage Racing

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Color!

Here is a test of Inka and Alpina green together. We had a dickens of a time finding the factory correct formula in modern paints for Inka. The Alpina green we just had to take our best shot at. I think it came out pretty accurate. The original green was not as bright as the current green Alpina uses. I've attached an old shot of the car for comparison.

Does anyone know anything about this guy? He is willing to re-skin my hood, which is good news.

http://stevehogueenterprises.com/

100_0075.jpg

00083980_m.jpg

Last edited:

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
He certainly has all the right shaping equipment and with all the cars on his site displayed in bare metal he isn’t hiding a thing. A lot of people’s work looks great after paint but bare metal is just about the most unforgiving inspection of a metal man’s work that you could ask for, almost no way to hide shoddy work. ~ John Buchtenkirch

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Inka at Last!

Finally we have color on the car! I had to keep reminding the guys at Redstone that this is a race car and not a show car. The problem is, they only know one way to do things. I think the wait was worth it. What do you think?

Next, it is back to German Master Tech to begin assembly.

To see the full gallery on my car go to:

http://www.redstonerestoration.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7796186

Inka_1.jpg

Inka_2.jpg

Inka_5.jpg

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is absolutely awesome. its such a cool colour. When are you hoping to have it back together by?

Rohan

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Our first scheduled race is Wine Country Classic in Sonoma, CA the first weekend in June. Then the Portland Historics in July, Monterey Reunion in August, and finally Elkhart Lake in September.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Green Tail Feathers

Redstone has started painting the bits and pieces. Here are the wing elements, roof hoop, and hoop brace all painted and ready to go.

Car is scheduled back to GMT this week. Time is getting short!

Greentails.jpg

hoop&brace.jpg

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More Eye Candy

Car went back to GMT in Bend today. They have already begun wiring and plumbing! I will post pictures of their progress.

Here are a last few shots from Redstone of the front air dam and rear lid with some of the details painted:

airdam.jpg

trunkLid.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Assembly Has Begun

GMT has begun to put the car together. There will be any number of problems to solve with this project. One of the first is protecting the scavenge fittings in the oil pan. We will need to fab a skid plate and brackets for that.

We are planning on using a 320 steering rack like the factory cars did. Unfortunately we won't be able to use the factory subframe which was a lovely box tube titanium piece. The rack bolted to the rear of the subframe, and the lower links were heim jointed in to the subframe and the bottom of the strut upright. All alu, ti and mag. Those bits are beyond my budget- if they were still available.

We will be modifying the steel crossmember to accept the rack, and at the same time to allow us to lower the engine and set it further back in the chassis. We will try to mimic the factory pieces as best as we can.

Any thoughts or observations will be welcomed. Here are some early shots of a test fit of the engine, diff, and a close-up of the scavenge fittings:

Engine_In.jpg

Diff_In.jpg

OilPanClearance.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Close-ups of Rear Subframe

Here are a couple of close-ups of the diff and rear subframe mountings. We are trying to get everything tucked up under the car as far as possible. These cars ride fairly high, so anything we can do to lower it should pay dividends.

We had these solid subframe mounts fabricated to help with that objective.

diffmount.jpg

subframemount.jpg

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Engine & Transmission Mounts

Jr's got the engine mounts mocked-up & transmission mounts in progress. These modified mounts will allow us to move the engine down and back by almost 2" each way. This should help balance and CG.

He will have the trans mounts cradle underneath a single rear support. We ended up using some mounts from a Jeep. I know, I know- can anything good come out of Kenosha? :mrgreen:

Actually, they are "super bad ass" mounts - urethane mounts with internally reinforced, tear-proof guts. They are also available from any parts store, and they are cheap.

The transmission mount cradle will be attached to the underside of the tunnel mounts & will feature an exhaust mount securing point fabricated into the trans mount for added exhaust protection & rigidity.

Here are some shots showing these new mounts and the resulting engine position:

enginemounts@.jpg

exhaust@.jpg

transmounts_1@.jpg

transmounts_2@.jpg

Also, the car was featured on "Bring a Trailer" over the weekend. Lots of interesting comments. Here is the link:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/04/23/bat-success-story-bmw-csl-racer-transformation/

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Plumbing and Wiring

Plumbing and wiring are proceeding. CSL Dash & Instruments Installed (mostly) wiring has not been finalized yet. We made the dash so that it can tilt out for service and repair. I hate laying on my back in a foot well reaching up trying to reconnect a wire in the dark! Doesn't everyone?

Oil Lines w/ Oil Tank & Fuel Line Materials have been ordered!

Harness has been partially routed and wrapped.

Steering Rack - Not Yet Finalized, the 320i rack is in shipment. We will be evaluating once it is here and we can see how it will fit and work.

Trans & Engine Mounts Waiting Powder-coating until we get the steering rack customizations made to the sub-frame.

Battery Tray Installed - Battery Terminal Cut-out Switch & Brackets Also Installed. A second one accessible by corner workers will be mounted near the C pillar.

Fuel Cell / Fuel Safe - Project Mocked Up & We should be seeing a final fuel cell middle of next week.

dash_1.jpg

BatDiscon.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was able to go over to Bend today and meet with Tim to discuss various aspects of the build. While I was there we did a test fit of the seat, pedals, gear shift, and wheel. We also reviewed timelines and it looks like we may have to miss the Sonoma race in June.:cry: I'm a little disappointed, but would rather have the car done right, than done quickly just to meet a deadline.

Here are some shots I took while there:
CSL_2.jpg

Here's how the dash turned out:
dash.jpg

Here's the console and main switch set-up:
Console.jpg

Here's a close-up of the front cross member and the extra clearance we created for the pan:
PanClearance.jpg

Finally, a close-up of the finished transmission mount:
TransMount.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
New Hood Taking Shape

Got an update from Steve Hogue (http://www.stevehogueenterprises.com/) on my hood. He is what he said:

"Here are some shots of new skins. I should have them all wheeled up today. Then I will put in body lines and vent joggles At that point each hood top is in three pcs. I weld the three together finish wrap and we have a new hood. I will make a light wood crate to put them in for shipping that way we don't have to worry about any damage."

cslhood_1.jpg

cslhood_2.jpg

Last edited:

threewebers

Reaction score
Csl...

Your car is coming out beautiful!!! I have a question about the rear diff. The Diff
being a non-side loader will it still be accepted In vintage racing?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Your car is coming out beautiful!!! I have a question about the rear diff. The Diff
being a non-side loader will it still be accepted In vintage racing?

Thank you for the compliment. It has been a long journey, but I think the results will be worthwhile.

To answer your question, that depends on the sanctioning group. We run primarily HMSA, and they allow a bit more leeway. Other groups require you to prep the car to the FIA or SCCA rules that were in force when the car was originally raced. It's called "period correct."

Most groups accept updated parts if they enhance safety and reliability, provided they don't give a big performance boost. Most groups allow updated diffs if they are made by the same manufacturer, and of the same type (i.e. non-limited slip or limited slip) as came in the car originally.

Last edited: