Euro 72 CS on BaT

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Albert - I think what I suggested is getting lost in translation here a bit. No problem...what I suggested is just one mans opinion; mine.... I really have no idea what you were trying to say in the last thread. No need to extrapolate any further.

Best of luck in whatever decision you make..good luck and all I am saying is I hope you can fix any safety issues on the e9 before end of auction but I have no idea how you are going to be able to pull that off in the short time remaining. Sometimes downsizing and getting all the bits correct on a refurbishment or restoration can be overwhelming. But usually worth it in the end if done right.
Hello,
the Blue E9 on BAT is not mine this is what I have, the blue 2800 that I am working on it, in my garage and Malaga 3.0 that is completed.

Attachments

• 20230106_165852.jpg
    20230106_165852.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20230106_184726.jpg
    20230106_184726.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230207_191115.jpg
    20230207_191115.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 696904278.jpg
    696904278.jpg
    716.9 KB · Views: 106

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Who is the seller? You posted a pic of that car here with your others.
Hi Chris, He is a friend and his name is Chris he is a professional retire driver he is very nice guy, he have many supper car but this is a only E9 that he have.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a fan (see pic 144).
Minor positive point - amongst a WHOLE lot of other not so minor (negative) points....
You're absolutely correct. Looked at that photo and didn't see the fan. Must have been distracted by the shiny zinc horn hanging down in the middle of the pic.

But that leads to another question: the electric fan blows on the condenser, which I believe is pretty tightly coiled, and sits between the blower and the radiator. Would this blower, that I think is intended for the A/C, actually be able to take the place of the radiator fan running off the engine? Even if the replacement radiator is larger this seems kind of sketchy to me.

Of course "seeming" doesn't really mean much. Anyway, not trying to nitpick, just genuinely curious.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
You're absolutely correct. Looked at that photo and didn't see the fan. Must have been distracted by the shiny zinc horn hanging down in the middle of the pic.

But that leads to another question: the electric fan blows on the condenser, which I believe is pretty tightly coiled, and sits between the blower and the radiator. Would this blower, that I think is intended for the A/C, actually be able to take the place of the radiator fan running off the engine? Even if the replacement radiator is larger this seems kind of sketchy to me.

Of course "seeming" doesn't really mean much. Anyway, not trying to nitpick, just genuinely curious.
That fan appears to be a stock condenser fan for an E28/E30 and they are pretty effective. I have in the past had to jump one of the radiator temp switches to keep the fan on all the time after a belt failed and broke a blade on my clutch fan. That said I’d never rely solely on one or the wiring to it. Can’t really tell but if it still has the stock resistor, they’re a known weak point, as are the 3 pin temperature sensors.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Candia - did you do restoration work on your friend Chris' coupe?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
In defense of the car; i see some nice fenders, which not always is the case.
But yes, there are a lot of smaller and larger things that aren't finished, or done to a low standard (front floor boards for example)
If the car is good enough or not for someone to buy the car at a certain price only time will tell.
At least the car comes with a lot of pics allowing to check a lot of things. And questions are answered; which isn't always the case

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seller said in the comments he has a warehouse that restores them and currently has 5 E9s one with S54 and one with S38. I can understand the confusion.

I’m confused, too.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, if you fill your brake fluid reservoir completely to the brim and put on the cover tightly, what happens when you engage in some hard braking, your rotors and pads transmit heat to the calipers, the calipers in turn transmit heat to the brake fluid and the brake fluid expands?

I know many of the "this car is shiny and oh so pretty" commentators on BAT will call this yet another BS nit, but when the buyer finds brake fluid all over the engine bay eating away at everything with paint on it, they are not going to be happy.

I understand everybody makes mistakes, but look too at the process the seller undertook after this mistake was highlighted. Rather than understanding exactly what the mistake was, and how the reservoir should be filled, the seller merely filled it all the way to the brim so we can no longer say its not full. And even if the seller delegated this task to a young apprentice in his shop, he obviously did not check that the work was done properly before posting a picture that purports to show that the problem is fixed.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I saw this too and also was curious about the color of the fluid. I dismissed it originally since it clearly says max on the bottle so maybe it wasn’t overfilled but I’m glad I am not the only person that saw it.

On the tii, bolts were missing in the subframe. Now there’s a bolt in there. Is it torqued? Also people keep saying that car is rust free when there’s clearly a hole in a frame rail and cake frosting for a floor pan.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
At the risk of seeming to be piling on. I still don’t understand why the fuel lines enter the trunk on the wrong side when there is an indentation on the top of the gas tank to guide you, allowing trunk floors to lie flush. I assume that’s an internal fuel pump/sending unit. Shouldn’t there be an external pump as well like there is on e28’s? I can’t find it in the photos.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
At the risk of seeming to be piling on. I still don’t understand why the fuel lines enter the trunk on the wrong side when there is an indentation on the top of the gas tank to guide you, allowing trunk floors to lie flush. I assume that’s an internal fuel pump/sending unit. Shouldn’t there be an external pump as well like there is on e28’s? I can’t find it in the photos.
That looks like it is probably an E30 325i pump and sending unit. They had high pressure pump in the tank.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most optimistically, it might be a terminal for a trickle charger. I once tried to route mine through the grill before deciding it was too much trouble.
I love your optimism, and I'd try to optimistically agree. But it would be on the other side then, nearer the battery.?. ;) Sorry, my glass is half empty on this one.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love your optimism, and I'd try to optimistically agree. But it would be on the other side then, nearer the battery.?. ;) Sorry, my glass is half empty on this one.
Yeah, I optimistically/indifferently didn't bother to check which set of headlights that was coming out of.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Then again, since the fuel lines are run on the wrong side of the car, maybe this is for a trickle charger. :D
That's way too small for a trickle charger...plus it would need a positive and negative that is separated somehow. Still can be one plug but that is not a trickle charger end. I'm 99.9% sure. That looks like a female Baomain end.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess they added an airbox. Tight shot doesn’t show how it’s mounted (likely isn’t). AFM attached to valve cover has the intake boot without the bellows so it should have the E24 B35 airbox to AFM elbow not the B32/B34 one (that’s one reason the box sits crooked). I can’t imagine it actually clears the hood either.

Attachments

• D8211F77-61DC-4DD3-8660-C1908D8DE3C6.jpeg
    D8211F77-61DC-4DD3-8660-C1908D8DE3C6.jpeg
    820.3 KB · Views: 74

BimRLuvR

Reaction score
Although I am eternally optimitic, the pessimsim about this car hangs like the sword of Damocles over the next buyer. Yikes!