Getting this 3.0CSi back on the road

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you once again for the detailed writeup. I haven't seen such detailed pictures on here and it's exactly what I need.

Today I learned that the inner rocker sheet metal extends past the front fender. I have been toying with the idea of not removing my front fenders, but I haven't done the exploratory lower fender paint removal. I suspect that I will spend a lot of time removing my fenders, only to find metal in decent shape. The alternative was to dip the car and then E-Coat.

It looks like the front fenders need to go if my inner rocker needs replacement.

Regarding your fenders, does W&N sell just the lower fender? I know the full front fenders are expensive, around 700 eur. I don't trust my welding skills enough to blend in a lower fender, so if mine do need replacement the whole thing will go.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Gransin - you should change your name to Coupe Doctor. Amazing work keeping this thing alive! You deserve a medal or something. I feel like BMW should pick this story up. Just incredible.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
This thread is a valuable reference for my incoming project. Great work and thanks a lot for sharing it!

I've a question: how can you be sure that the door gaps are correct without putting the car on its wheels? These are heavy bodies and ar e prone to "open" when they're on jacks.

Thank you!

That's a very good question, it's hard to know if they will "open" or "close" later when everything is put back in the car and it stands on its own wheels. The door-gaps are sliiightly bigger up top than down at the bottom, so I hope that will be enough. And the body will probably be 50% more rigid than before now when all structural problems are gone.

I think that it will stay close to how it is now, the stress a single jackstand, or double jackstands, puts on the body when the engine and everything else is in, is something completely different from when it stands on its own four wheels.

But again, thats just me speculating, if somebody else have any experience of this, please fill in.

Thank you once again for the detailed writeup. I haven't seen such detailed pictures on here and it's exactly what I need.

Today I learned that the inner rocker sheet metal extends past the front fender. I have been toying with the idea of not removing my front fenders, but I haven't done the exploratory lower fender paint removal. I suspect that I will spend a lot of time removing my fenders, only to find metal in decent shape. The alternative was to dip the car and then E-Coat.

It looks like the front fenders need to go if my inner rocker needs replacement.

Regarding your fenders, does W&N sell just the lower fender? I know the full front fenders are expensive, around 700 eur. I don't trust my welding skills enough to blend in a lower fender, so if mine do need replacement the whole thing will go.

Glad you like the pictures, and even better if they can help somebody!

My thought at the beginning of this project was exactly the same, I'm not removing those fenders!!:-o But later when the body was empty I thought it would be unwise not to remove them and do a close inspection there as well.
And that was a very good desicion in retrospect, I would never have forgiven myself in a couple of years when the rust would have started to pop thru the new paint..

But as always, everyone has to draw a line somewhere, it's a lot of work to remove them and put back on, and I understand those who just prays to God and sprays it over with new paint.

W&N sells the lower fenders at $93 each
The fenders are $827 each

The best would absolutely had been to replace my fenders with new ones, but there is that line I was talking about :wink: I think we got the ones I have pretty good and will last many many years if I keep the car dry.

Gransin - you should change your name to Coupe Doctor. Amazing work keeping this thing alive! You deserve a medal or something. I feel like BMW should pick this story up. Just incredible.

Well thank you!

We are doing our best, but there are others out there who does e9 restorations waay more professionally than what we do. This is after all only going to be a well sorted driver, never intended to show or anything like that.
There are also many things that are not original anymore, and so on.

But yeah! It's fun to have gotten to this stage now, all the sheetmetal/body work was getting a bit... monotonous.:-o

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
We got a lot of small details done this weekend, but not much worthy taking pictures of, mostly grinding welds and fill up more again, grind, weld, repeat, repeat.

But spent half a day removing the old paint, and the last of the rubbery underseal.

The left side almost done.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.37.41.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.37.52.png

Underseal gone.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.38.05.png

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Almost forgot, we also fitted the beltline trim and drilled new holes in the door for the door-trim, time consuming to say the least.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.39.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.39.29.png

Last edited:

RogerW

Reaction score
GREAT work. I know you will have a huge sense of satisfaction when your restoration is over. Again, super work!!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Roger!

All of the old paint is stripped from the car and it is now ready to be transported to the paint shop. Feels great! :D

The plan is to first put one layer of epoxi, then go over the car with seam sealer, then another layer of epoxi, and then paint the engine compartment, the inside and the trunk in Polaris silver.
After that it's time to put in the engine, drivetrain, suspension. When that's done, it's off to the paint shop again to paint the outside of the car in Polaris silver.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.40.52.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.41.01.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.41.14.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.41.22.png

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Found a set of wheels that I just had to buy, but I have never seen a picture of these mounted to a e9, so that brings the question, are they rare or just undesireable? :p I have a set of 16" Alpinas, but I also wanted a set of 14" so I can change the appearance of the car a bit, when I feel like it.

ATS Classic 7x14 ET11

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.42.43.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.42.53.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.43.02.png

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, there was a bit of waiting as the painter didn't have enough time, but it's now finally painted!

After we transported the car to the painter I wanted to blast the underside of the car one more time to get the last crap out of there, and to create a good surface for the paint.

The painter had just the right machinery for that :razz:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.44.43.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.44.54.png

After that we cleaned the car very thoroughly and put some coats of epoxi on it. We've also put seamsealer on every seam and weld now.

Really nice to see the car in one single color again! Sorry for the phone-photos, forgot to bring the camera.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.45.03.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.45.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.45.26.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.45.35.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.45.43.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.45.51.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.46.25.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.46.34.png

Last edited:

FinnCoupe

Reaction score
I can't believe that I have totally missed this thread! :shock:

Excellent documentation of the work you have done!
This is the first well documented Finnish E9 I have found. I know there are one or two well rebuilt E9's in Finland but this is the first/only I have found online...

Good to see that most of the bodywork is done.
I dread the day we start our restoration project with 2800CS...:?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
oohhhhhh !
like it
Nice
That's gotta feel good. Celebrate:razz:

Thank you! It's still a long way to the finish but this was certainly a milestone.

I can't believe that I have totally missed this thread! :shock:

Excellent documentation of the work you have done!
This is the first well documented Finnish E9 I have found. I know there are one or two well rebuilt E9's in Finland but this is the first/only I have found online...

Good to see that most of the bodywork is done.
I dread the day we start our restoration project with 2800CS...:???:

Thank you!

I've come to the same conclusion, have not been able to find any other Finnish e9 project on the web, and have not even heard of anyone doing a big restoration. But that's surely because I don't really know anyone connected (or owners) to classic BMWs / e9s in Finland. But I think I've heard of your CSL, Polaris and wingless right?

Hope that you create a thread here when you start with your 2800cs ;) Looked at some pictures I found of it, looks pretty decent in the pictures?

FinnCoupe

Reaction score
But I think I've heard of your CSL, Polaris and wingless right?

That's right. You can find couple of pictures from BTCF ///M-meeting thread.

Hope that you create a thread here when you start with your 2800cs ;) Looked at some pictures I found of it, looks pretty decent in the pictures?

Comparing to CSL it looks a bit worn. There is no visible rust on outer panels but there is one or two layers of respray on it. I think the last layer was sprayed with window seals in place, so now that they have shrunk a bit with time, there is nasty gap with old layers visible...
It has been heavily rust protected from underneath, in late 70's or early 80's, with thick black stuff. I'm afraid what we might find under that stuff.

wolfturbo

Reaction score
Holy Smokes you are talented!!!!

Unfortunately, you are shattering my already fragile self-esteem!!! I was feeling good about myself for getting my stuck driver's side electric window to work, then I had to stumble across this thread and be reminded what a DIY novice I am!!! ;-)

Keep up the good work brother!!!

Rob

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Rob!

Got the rest painted, engine compartment, inside, trunk.
As you can see in the pictures we went with a solid gray/silver inside the car and in the trunk, main reason for that was that the metallic paint dont hide any of all the small imperfections, this solid color hides some. It turned out to be a bit darker than what the painter hoped for, but can't say it bothers me much as everything will be covered by the interior inside.
You can of course see the color difference in the trunk if you lift the panels, but for a driver and not a show car.. So be it.

Could also have filled up the engine compartment with filler to hide imperfections, but I did not want to put it there, and I'm hoping the engine and everything around it will take the focus away from that. :smile:

On to the pictures:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.49.35.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.49.50.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.49.59.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.50.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.50.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.50.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.50.35.png

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Then it was time for some undercoating.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.53.34.png

Chose a 3M product that the painters I've been in contact with recommended. A dark gray for the undercarriage, and black for the wheel-wells.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.53.41.png

Turned out great!

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.53.49.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.53.59.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.54.07.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.54.15.png

Next step will probably be to start fitting brake and fuel-lines, and after that get the car back on its own wheels. These parts have been waiting in the storage for a long time now:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.54.29.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.54.42.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 21.55.18.png

Last edited: