10.jpg

11.jpg

Rear subframe close to completion:

12.jpg

Engine with painted valvecover:

14.png

New clutch:

13.png

I also managed to bid home a set of two new door main-seals, and the bags they were in also happened to include numerous of other new and usable door/window seals :-o

15.png

16.png

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very impressive work

Thanks! I hope you get your own CSi running!

You are a Pro.
Impressive.

That means a lot coming from you, thanks! :)

Here is a picture of the gearbox with new seals and oil just waiting to go back in the car:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 19.50.01.png

That means the whole driveline and suspension is now completly done, which is a big step so I don't have to think about that anymore. Next on the headache-list is the electrical system, have anyone here bought a new harness for your coupe? And if, from where? I've been in contact with Autosparks in UK and Kabelbaeume in Germany, both similar in pricing asking around 1300€ for a complete harness (excluding engine harness)
Any experience?

My existing harness has been abused for 40+ years, and even if I try to redo it myself I'm not sure I will ever be able to trust it / end up redoing it completely. There is nothing worser than a non-reliable wiring harness, worst case scenario the car ends up in flames.

Looks much worser up close.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 19.50.12.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 19.50.20.png

Last edited:

daddywad

Reaction score
Hi Gransin,

I have the Autosparks loom in my CSL, it is very good and well made. make sure you order all the sections even the sub looms that detach

m

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Where did you find the radio ?

It came with the car when I bought it, but I have seen some for sale at Ebay.de

Hi Gransin,

I have the Autosparks loom in my CSL, it is very good and well made. make sure you order all the sections even the sub looms that detach

m

Thanks for letting me know! Do you or anybody else know the difference, if there is any, between a 3.0CSI and 3.0CSL-injected harness? (besides the fuel injection wiring)

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, it's been a while, but finally I have some pictures to show.

After sitting in the corner of the bodyshop for a while, I took it out and went over it with the mediablaster again, to get rid of the last sound-deadening and some surface rust before we continued welding again.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

Went over the inside of the front fenders as well, but was very careful to prevent warping.

11.png

Then we looked over both rear wheelhousings, and came to the conclusion that the inner rear left housing was too far gone (rusted, then poorly welded, then rusted again) to save, so W&N had the cure for that.

12.png

13.png

Also needed two new doorhinges.

14.png

And at the same time I bought two new rocker"skins".

15.jpg

Rightside inner and outer wheelarch done, also the outer rocker behind the door completed.

16.jpg

17.jpg

Rear right rocker, inside.

18.jpg

Bad picture, but inside of the arch.

19.jpg

The saveable (right rear) wheelhousing under construction.

20.png

21.png

Small bits & pieces

22.png

Thats all for now, we will continue the weldingprocess over the next couple of days and will try to get it totally completed before May.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great pics, keep up the good work.

Thank you!

We continued working on the shell,

Right rear wheelhousing done.

1.png

2.png

Then we started on the seat-boxes/mounts.

3.png

4.png

And done, will add the last two patches that connects to the floor later.

5.png

And now it was time to put in the new left inner wheelhousing. First we removed the old one.

6.png

7.png

Then time to testfit the new one. (x10)

8.png

Had to cut out some of the trunkfloor again to be able to fit the new one.

9.png

Cut out all the rot and put in new sheetmetal in the outer wheelhousing before final fit of the inner one. A bit of a PITA.

10.png

And then, spotwelded the new one in place!

11.png

12.png

13.png

Trunkfloor also done!

14.png

15.png

Now the rear-end of the car is pretty much complete, some small things here and there, but 98% of the welding is done there. That means we shall now focus on the front-end, and even if we first thought that it was in pretty decent shape... Well, thats a stupid thing to think!

Opened up the box and found what you (should) expect.

16.png

Started cutting out pieces and old repairs so that its possible to really see whats going on. Much of the box itself will have to be made from scratch as it is rusted all over. Also the pipe where the hood-wire goes is rusted through, and will have to be replaced.

17.png

The other side is better, but still will require some repairing.
(Major repair done on both sides in the past)

18.jpg

And thats how far we got this time, hope to continue next weekend.

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great work, very impressive! I am proud of myself just to glue down carpet and can only imagine how satifying it would be to have your skills.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks!

This weekend wasn't as productive as the last, and all the small things just takes forever. We started with going over every weld (bulkhead and back) with angle grinders, even if it doesn't sound like much, it almost took the whole day.
No pictures of that.

After that we turned the car around on the car-lift, so we could work with the front end more easily.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 20.24.39.png

After that we took the grinder to the front-left corner under the A-post. Cut out almost everything so we could start fresh with no half-good/bad pieces still there.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 20.24.49.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 20.24.58.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 20.25.06.png

And thats it for now.

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
So we continued constructing the box. This would have been the right time to build it back to how it looked under the wings when it left the factory, but in my opinion the original construction isn't better as it traps dirt, moist and starts rusting more easily than this construction.

Every box will be FILLED with cavity wax later when the car is painted and ready.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

The right side is totally different looking, and in a much better shape than the left side. But it looked structurally weak even if it has been driven like this for many years, but we decided to reinforce it.

2mm sheetmetal on the outside of the box.

10.png

We made the topside of the reinforcing box slanting to avoid dirt getting stuck there. Not completed yet as we have to make sure the wing fits correctly.

11.png

Then some new metal pieces arrived:

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Removed the old front lower panel from the car.

15.jpg

And then the left inner front panel.

16.png

17.jpg

18.jpg

Old one out, new one in.

19.png

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.png

23.png

Thats it for now :)

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing thread. Just q I needed for reference. With that said, dear God I hope that I don't have to repair/replace that much metal.

Your welding skills seem pretty decent. What made you decide to outsource the rocker metal work?

Lastly, are you confortable sharing what you spent on the car, and how much you have spent on sheet metal. I would hazard that you've spent at least $3k on W&N metal.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing thread. Just q I needed for reference. With that said, dear God I hope that I don't have to repair/replace that much metal.

Thanks, and yeah I hope yours is in better shape than mine. Mine didn't look so bad when I bought it, and was driveable. I looked at the pictures in your thread and got really paranoid what may be lurking inside every cavaty, hah:p

Your welding skills seem pretty decent. What made you decide to outsource the rocker metal work?

I'm not doing the welding in these photos, I'm just there assisting with cutting out and shaping new sheetmetal pieces, grinding, measuring, and so on. I have some skills with the welder, but I wanted the welding done to a higher standard than what I can do with my own hands here.

Lastly, are you confortable sharing what you spent on the car, and how much you have spent on sheet metal. I would hazard that you've spent at least $3k on W&N metal.

I'll send you a PM.

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey man ... really impressed with your posts and work on this. This car is gonna be freaking sweet!!!

What tools are you using to get your smaller sheet metal work to bend/curve etc?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey man ... really impressed with your posts and work on this. This car is gonna be freaking sweet!!!

What tools are you using to get your smaller sheet metal work to bend/curve etc?

Thank you!

The tools I'm usually using is: angle grinder, bending machine, belt sander, a good (big) anvil and a couple of different hammers. Add a TON of patience and time, and you will be able to do most sheetmetal work ;)
The English wheel is what you need if you want to make really smooth nice bends, unfortunately, I don't have access to one.

Look what came in the post today :)

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 20.40.17.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 20.40.27.png

So the doorskins and -bottoms will be replaced in near future.

Last edited:

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like tools and hammering/bending things. My issue is the patience part. :)

Like Christmas every day with all that pretty new metal. Love to see it is still available to purchase. I'm lucky to be working on a car with just a couple patches needed.