Highly modified but purposefully Build Amazing E9999 on bat

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lovely car. My only nit is all that burlwood inside, but easily remedied somewhat.

Love these hot rod E9s! I'm thinking we may have a new BAT non-CSL record E9. Thinking...$240k.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gorgeous car. I'm not necessarily into the wood but it was done some time ago and is easily remedied. What a drive train.

@OCCoupe - How did it drive? What hp was the m90 putting out?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gorgeous car. I'm not necessarily into the wood but it was done some time ago and is easily remedied. What a drive train.

@OCCoupe - How did it drive? What hp was the m90 putting out?
@tferrer it drove great! Plenty of power, great acceleration, and it sounded great! Also rode and handled very very nicely. I don’t know how much power it had but it was beyond a b35 being that Paul built the engine up to 3.8 liters vs the m90’s 3.5.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it just me or are the front bumperettes and/or bumper angled up slightly? At that angle it looks like it bumped something. Left side higher maybe? Maybe I'm hallucinating. I know I've never liked the strange angles of the CS bumperettes and rubber overlays.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is it just me or are the front bumperettes and/or bumper angled up slightly? At that angle it looks like it bumped something. Left side higher maybe? Maybe I'm hallucinating. I know I've never liked the strange angles of the CS bumperettes and rubber overlays.
This is a beautiful car and it looks like the collector car community likes a well done resto-mod as much as a well done restoration. The thing with a resto-mod (even an extremely well done one) is that everyone would do some of the details differently even if they would take the package as is and be overjoyed with it (I sure would :love:.)

Any car that looks good with bumper guards/over riders...looks better without them :) . I would have left at least the front guards off and modified the front bumper appropriately. I'd consider shaving the rear under riders also.

If you HAVE to have a front air dam, the custom one on this car is the best I've seen. Most detract from the delicate lines of the E9.

I don't think the little trunk spoiler adds anything and, again, detracts from a shape that is hard to improve on.

I'd go with the smaller trap mirrors also. Not because they are stock, but they are a little more to scale.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Markos - this is the car I was referring to in the last BAT coupe auction of the '75 when you made the following comment. "Sounds like a recipe for disappointment. My theory is that mediocre cars selling for large sums on BaT don’t raise the price of nice cars. That is how it has played out in the past. I hope to be proven wrong."
Still feel this way? o_O

I'll wager a side bet this sets a record for a CS(I)! Future parts for parts swap maybe?......LOL...$1 Mortimer? You name it....buy you a beer/vice versa when you drive out to Inland North West someday or me Pacific North West?

Go Craterface!!!!!! GLWS REY!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My favorite part (hard to choose...) is the attention to detail/creative and ergonomics of the stowing of the 3-point belts. I remember I sent a note to Paul Cain when I first saw this car, that I felt like it was an evolutionary build, rather than a revolutionary build; What BMW coulda/shoulda done for the final gen of the e9. Best of luck to Scott...I do love this car. Just not the ash burl...maybe some crotchety, stumpy walnut.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't mind the burl, seems to go with the rest of the interior, would not like it on an otherwise stock interior
not that my car is going to be anything close to this, but interesting to see a couple of the things I had (having) issue with, the fit of the aluminum strip in the 'grab rail' and the welt under the wood on the left side

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I first saw this car in the August 2000 Roundel I was inspired to buy a coupe.
I too have carpathian elm burl for ash board wood.
I never went whole hog on my coupe, finances would not permit it
But this is a lovely car that performs with amazing grace!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe this to be a masterpiece of Restomod E9 , like of which we may never see again. It puts it in the category of its own!
I have not been involved with E9 for that long but from the first time I started to dismantle my first rusty E9 I knew these cars would get more attention. I have just remained surprised why it took so long! It appears E9 BMW community is not so concerned about originality! As many mods are considered improvements. But I wonder for how long originality would remain at the bottom of the list with most enthusiasts and classic bMW collector community ?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
PS
image.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe this to be a masterpiece of Restomod E9 , like of which we may never see again. It puts it in the category of its own!
I have not been involved with E9 for that long but from the first time I started to dismantle my first rusty E9 I knew these cars would get more attention. I have just remained surprised why it took so long! It appears E9 BMW community is not so concerned about originality! As many mods are considered improvements. But I wonder for how long originality would remain at the bottom of the list with most enthusiasts and classic bMW collector community ?
This is a good topic and has been discussed at length on this board but better to start it's own thread probably, it may highjack this pretty important sale discussion of this amazing "masterpiece" as you say; done by one of the most well known and respected BMW (and other makes) car restorer Paul Cain (and team that helped contribute to this build). I think there are a lot of people watching this pretty intently, I know I am. And also kudos to the collector that acquired this amazing ride over the last year and the fact that he is willing to put it up for sale. It's also been interesting reading the BAT comments, always is.....Not to discourage that topic at all. I hope no offense taken.