Highly modified but purposefully Build Amazing E9999 on bat

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos

Despite the mechanism has been adopted from early E24 (probably) it is still something strange as if you will note the axes.

I know E24 wiper mechanism and it is also going L-R-L or R-L-R ...

So I'm not about the mechanism itself as I think this is a great idea to use E24 one (still widely available) but the rings with stoppers location.

I may presume that mechanism is not working or from some reason it was put that way regardless of the blade's working area.

In the worst case the headlight washing system will work without stoppers for E9 but also for E24 or E30, but it will create a risk for joints holding the blades or the blades itself.

I think for such a precisely done restomod it is strange to see ... or there is specific reason for (maybe to keep someone like me thinking about it :D )

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see what you are saying. I trust that the PO doesn’t build things that don’t work. Rather, he went out of his way to design oem-like features that work exceptionally well. It looks to me that the rings were reinstalled incorrectly, likely by the current owner’s technician.

Installed correctly:

8344D307-D50D-48FA-8EB0-EB33F14CFE4B.jpeg

@Markos

Despite the mechanism has been adopted from early E24 (probably) it is still something strange as if you will note the axes.

I know E24 wiper mechanism and it is also going L-R-L or R-L-R ...

So I'm not about the mechanism itself as I think this is a great idea to use E24 one (still widely available) but the rings with stoppers location.

I may presume that mechanism is not working or from some reason it was put that way regardless of the blade's working area.

In the worst case the headlight washing system will work without stoppers for E9 but also for E24 or E30, but it will create a risk for joints holding the blades or the blades itself.

I think for such a precisely done restomod it is strange to see ... or there is specific reason for (maybe to keep someone like me thinking about it :D )

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good catch! I missed that one.

Anyhow it is interesting mod to put early E24 headlights wiper mechanism into E9 ... still looks OEM.

Car looks outside like missing piece between E9 and E24.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was telling my friend Gary that getting ready to watch the last minutes of this auction is like when we were getting up early Sunday morning to watch the latest F1 race…

1 hour to go!
So $203K is the record for a Euro 1975 3.0CSi correct? On BAT that is, maybe all auctions....and that was 5/10/21. That blew most CSL's out of the water except the Taiga on 8/29/19. It's a crazy world of cars out there right now.....but that CSL didn't hit reserve looks like.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
245 all in.

At that price point, for me, it isn't just a car/toy, it is an investment.

Just like backdated 911 hot rods that pull 150-250k, I wonder if this will hold its value over ten years, as opposed to a numbers-matching CSL, which you could buy for this price or close to it.

On the other hand, this is one of the best-known E9 restomods out there, kinda like Jabberjaw.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know who the buyer is?

Based on his only comment, I assume he is in CA:

————

@Rey949 I noticed you had CA plates. Are there any smog issues associated with the modifications? Key question is will there be any issues registering the car for California

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Restomods (done well) are often getting higher prices than stock builds.

Just look at the domestic market: corvettes, camaros, trifives are getting big bux w/aftermarket frames/LS motors/comfortable interiors.

However, restomods can be very expensive to build, and often do not recoup their investments.

This E9 is an outlier. I can totally see $100k invested in this car, but for it to sell for 2x that investment (let's say, a $40k car to begin with), is simply amazing.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well bought and well sold, IMHO.

I think We are witnessing one of those rare moments when there is a classic car you can buy, pay a professional to properly restore, and probably not be under water.

if my E9 were finished as planned (with VSR doing everything), I suspect I’d feel real pressure to list it on BAT so as to cash in on the bullish E9 market and not cheat my kids out of their inheritance.

Will we see a repeat of what happened with air cooled 911’s, where the market overheated and then contracted a bit to a more sane position?

john

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well bought and well sold, IMHO.

I think We are witnessing one of those rare moments when there is a classic car you can buy, pay a professional to properly restore, and probably not be under water.

if my E9 were finished as planned (with VSR doing everything), I suspect I’d feel real pressure to list it on BAT so as to cash in on the bullish E9 market and not cheat my kids out of their inheritance.

Will we see a repeat of what happened with air cooled 911’s, where the market overheated and then contracted a bit to a more sane position?

john
John--When did the air-cooled 911's prices overheat? What were people paying for the cars then? Did the owners drive those cars to more than weekend cars & coffee events?
I agree that this car was well bought, considering it could never be made at this price and with the talent to make the build today. Thanks, Drew