Highly modified but purposefully Build Amazing E9999 on bat

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Who’s got a quarter million dollars ready to be transferred to someone else within less than 24 hours???

Unless of course, cousin Vinny and his trusty old briefcase are involved…
I bought a truck on BAT, transferred funds same day as well (not $240K of course, but still...), took 10 days for them to even find a shipper.....had to keep on BAT shipping for updates almost daily after the first couple days... But SoCal to NorCal much different than Texas to Idaho. So, I understood and it wasn't a hurry. Still, that is fast (24 hours). The quarter $$$ mil liquid is still a bit puzzling but if you are interested in the car from day one, you have (7) seven days to get the money ready, so I can see that.

BAT handles the insurance with their shippers and have an Umbrella policy too. I don't care so much about a beat up truck, but if shipping any one of your pristine coupes, E's, whatever, I'd inquire about supplemental Inland Marine insurance with Hagerty or whoever your insurance company is in case anything happens, like what happened to my Bavaria..... See link: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/auto-transport.30322/page-2 total nightmare.....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
what can/may we believe of such auctions ?
If i set the reserve at 200 , and i let 3...4 friends bid till 199 , probably somebody will believe that car is really worth it and bid higher ?

Also nice stories for resto shops.... as (fake ? ) proof of what your car "could" be worth after a "100k" resto ?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If i set the reserve at 200 , and i let 3...4 friends bid till 199 , probably somebody will believe that car is really worth it and bid higher ?

Also nice stories for resto shops.... as (fake ? ) proof of what your car "could" be worth after a "100k" resto ?

There are “such auctions” and “this auction”. The original owner’s name can be seen on decades of CS registry and roundel publications. The car is well documented, and extremely well known for quality of execution. The sale price is a reflection of rapidly rising auction values plus the famous nature of this particular vehicle. It is arguably the most well known and appreciated custom e9 in existence. It certainly has the most tenure with that status.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I bid on 100 cars a day at auction and sometimes get zero. You always need to know what you'll pay before the bidding starts.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
There are “such auctions” and “this auction”. The original owner’s name can be seen on decades of CS registry and roundel publications. The car is well documented, and extremely well known for quality of execution. The sale price is a reflection of rapidly rising auction values plus the famous nature of this particular vehicle. It is arguably the most well known and appreciated custom e9 in existence. It certainly has the most tenure with that status.
status ? can a perfect E9 be better then another perfect E9 ? One has always to wait for the first "problem" .

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
I bid on 100 cars a day at auction and sometimes get zero. You always need to know what you'll pay before the bidding starts.
yes, you may know that .... as many i hope .... . But they scam the unawere.....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
yes, you may know that .... as many i hope .... . But they scam the unawere.....

I’m not seeing any coordinated scams on BaT. It is feasible, but the comments section helps to raise doubt if a car is of questionable quality.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
I’m not seeing any coordinated scams on BaT. It is feasible, but the comments section helps to raise doubt if a car is of questionable quality.
i have no doubt about the quality....but the real value. They can only be "perfect" as far a human being can restore. In the end it's still a E9. Nothing more, nothing less.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have no doubt about the quality....but the real value. They can only be "perfect" as far a human being can restore. In the end it's still a E9. Nothing more, nothing less.

True but many of the most valuable artifacts in the world are imperfect. Supply and demand. Regardless of any flaws due to time in the car that sold above, it is a rare level of execution on a car that is relatively rare to begin with. I used “relatively” with intent. They only made 10,000 2000c/2000cs cars. They are more rare but will never achieve a median value above the e9.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting that the plate went with the car. Can you transfer a custom CA plate to a buyer?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry, this was a well known restomod, featured in magazines, it's in the ad for P21 wheel cleaner, etc. I agree you could duplicate this car for less. I was in for up to a 150k bid myself.

And it is not an historical object just a restomod of a car which was produced 30,000 times.
But we see the same prices for backdated 911s. I wouldn't pay 240k for one of those either.

But if the buyer loved this car, and didn't want to wait years to build one himself, I can't blame them. You only go around once.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
But if the buyer loved this car, and didn't want to wait years to build one himself, I can't blame them. You only go around once.
This is exactly right. A friend works in the bay area and makes over $500k a year. His world is different than mine and paying this much for a car is relative. If I bought a car that was worth half my annual pay I'd be looking at a 1996 328i with 200k miles! :cool:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any Ideas how long the seller owned the car and why they sold it?
When Rey bought Paul’s coupe last summer he told Paul that if he sold it he would want Paul’s help in doing so. Rey has many BMWs many of which are hot rodded and he owns two CSLs as well. Rey wasn’t driving it and periodically thins his collection. I bought my NK from Rey 8 years ago.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, and that is a 2000Ti, very rare! The 74 Tii has an Alpina A4 setup and is very fast. Dealer is Bill Merrikan, past owner of 2002AD.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, and that is a 2000Ti, very rare! The 74 Tii has an Alpina A4 setup and is very fast. Dealer is Bill Merrikan, past owner of 2002AD.
Just had a long conversation with Bill after reading your post. I had no idea he had a dealership in CO and that is where parts of Rey's collection has been disappearing to. I looked at the cars on the site and all look really reasonably priced (considering it is a dealership with a middle man) and you couldn't deal with a better guy than Bill. He is very passionate and a hardcore enthusiast. He's the one that owned the Fjord e3 that sold recently and was on the board here with comments. If anyone on here is ever interested in any cars he is selling he is a straight forward guy and I'm sure you will have a good experience. I don't normally endorse people on a public board because in case something goes wrong, then it's my fault, but he's someone that will treat you right.

That A4 is tempting I tell you......I've driven in it multiple times and it is a very fun car! Another car I couldn't believe that Rey was selling. I always said I'd rather own an Alpina A4 than a turbo but that's like picking your favorite kid. I don't have any kids, so maybe bad analogy, but many of you do and know what I'm talking about.