02 Bumpers

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Chris Broemmelsiek, I run 02bumpers.com and have been supplying the 2002 community with stainless steel bumpers and accessories for over a decade.

Since 2019, I have been developing a rear taillight frame with lenses for the 2800/3.0CS. It has been a slow process and delayed some years due to covid. But, ALAS! I just received my first sample of the taillight frame constructed out of stainless steel and my is it stunning!

Now for the logistics. I will be forming my plastic lenses to the frames this week and will need a 3.0/2800 to do a test fit. I am located in the foothills east of Sacramento, CA so the closer to this location the better. Basically i would assume it wouldn't take any longer than an hour to test fit. A discount on some production taillight frames would be included.

Is there anyone interested in helping?

Attachments

• 20231020_102724.jpg
    20231020_102724.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 76

02 Bumpers

Reaction score
@Stan has had lenses made, not sure if he has any left. Just don't want you to reinvent the wheel...
I made the molds a few years ago and the lenses turned out great. It took a while to get the frames going but now that they are here I am going to do everything in house to ensure each lens fits perfectly in its respective frame.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great to see another company supporting our beloved coupes.

One thing to be carefull about is that a lot of cars that I see pictures off do not have the perfect factory gap and flush definition that our coupes had when they left the factory. Even some 80k+sample from BAT were bad enough to poke a kids finger in, especially in the gap where the round orange section of the taillight curves into the quarter panel.
Another notorious gap is where the sheetmetal is butt welded to each other, just above and below the junction of the orange and the red section. Usually in that spot, the gap between chrome frame and the body opens up a bit.

Point being that checking the fitment needs to be done on a survivor car ideally, or a restored one one where the currently installed lamp cluster shows mighty fine gap and flush lines.

You may even want to exclude cars of which the lightframes have been rechromed, as that alters the dimensions. If those rechromed lenses sit nicely in a car, then likely the opening in the panel has been shaped to match the rechromed lenses.

It is risky to put pictures up here as tell tales of bad fitment as I may just pick a member's car. I don't want to disrespect someone's baby!
Here' s some examples; I've tried to cut the photo's so no car could be identified.

Wobbly left side. In some places it's under flush, some places over flush, and the gap between panel and chrome also seems to wonder from ~ 1 to 3 mm.
Screenshot_20231021_003805_Samsung Internet.jpg

Uneven gap at bottom, just below the junction red-orange:
Screenshot_20231021_003731_Samsung Internet.jpg

Uneven gap at top, just above the junction red-orange:
Screenshot_20231021_003003_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm not located close, really far out even, so my car won't help.

What would the cost be for a full set?
Would you consider selling the frames without lenses?

Erik.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in Rocklin if that helps. Not sure my '69 2800CS body is straight around the lenses but you're welcome to test fit another one.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m in Alameda- we have a dozen coupes in the shop, 6 in paint and boxes of taillights. Our cars are individually fitted for their light assembly before paint. It’s important.
Drop on by if you like. Let’s talk bumpers…

02 Bumpers

Reaction score
I see what you mean. It seems like the sheet metal would be easier to fit to the frames then the other way around.

I would be will to sell the frames alone. For both pairs I would charge $375 plus shipping/applicable taxes.

For individual L or R it would be $190 each plus shipping/applicable taxes.

If some forum guys want to do a bulk purchase I can shave off some cost.

Great to see another company supporting our beloved coupes.

One thing to be carefull about is that a lot of cars that I see pictures off do not have the perfect factory gap and flush definition that our coupes had when they left the factory. Even some 80k+sample from BAT were bad enough to poke a kids finger in, especially in the gap where the round orange section of the taillight curves into the quarter panel.
Another notorious gap is where the sheetmetal is butt welded to each other, just above and below the junction of the orange and the red section. Usually in that spot, the gap between chrome frame and the body opens up a bit.

Point being that checking the fitment needs to be done on a survivor car ideally, or a restored one one where the currently installed lamp cluster shows mighty fine gap and flush lines.

You may even want to exclude cars of which the lightframes have been rechromed, as that alters the dimensions. If those rechromed lenses sit nicely in a car, then likely the opening in the panel has been shaped to match the rechromed lenses.

It is risky to put pictures up here as tell tales of bad fitment as I may just pick a member's car. I don't want to disrespect someone's baby!
Here' s some examples; I've tried to cut the photo's so no car could be identified.

Wobbly left side. In some places it's under flush, some places over flush, and the gap between panel and chrome also seems to wonder from ~ 1 to 3 mm.
View attachment 170332

Uneven gap at bottom, just below the junction red-orange:
View attachment 170333
Uneven gap at top, just above the junction red-orange:
View attachment 170334

I'm not located close, really far out even, so my car won't help.

What would the cost be for a full set?
Would you consider selling the frames without lenses?

Erik.

02 Bumpers

Reaction score
I’m in Alameda- we have a dozen coupes in the shop, 6 in paint and boxes of taillights. Our cars are individually fitted for their light assembly before paint. It’s important.
Drop on by if you like. Let’s talk bumpers…
I might just have to swing on by and check out your shop. I'm up in the foothills east of Sacramento so not too far from you at all. What is the best time of week to stop in?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Chris - cool idea, I wish you much success.

Just a comment to pass along. I'm sure you will sell a lot of sets, but because of their proximity to the exhaust, I often see coupes with more deterioration on the left side. I would not be surprised if you found more demand for left side replacements.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks @02 Bumpers for the option to sell the frames without the lenses.

As mentioned, esteemed member @Stan has made quite a bunch of lenses, I have set as well.
I'd be curious to know how well his lenses fit your frames.

As they are both copies of the original, it does not mean that one copy will fit the other.

I'll pm you.

I see a big advantage of ss over chrome, especially for people that want to use their cars.

And for the garage queens; would a judge at a concours even be able to spot the difference? In most e9's the panel.behind the license plate also isn't chrome but aluminium.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I might just have to swing on by and check out your shop. I'm up in the foothills east of Sacramento so not too far from you at all. What is the best time of week to stop in?
Next week is best!