My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In my opinion, if I hit someone who 'suddenly stops', I'm at fault for following too closely, AND careless driving. Try that one on the 'cop and hitter' for size!

Gary-

PS: Oh Yes - also, in my opinion, there is no such thing as an 'accident' involving damage to my car unless a tree falls on it or a meteorite hits it while I'm on the road driving. Any other contact between cars is driver error - mine or the other driver (even in case of a mechanical problem on the car, as that represents a lack of maintenance on my or the other driver's part).

Gary
Gary, right, and isn't "Following too Closely" a ticketable offense at least in PA? How do you classify the runaway shopping cart and who is liable? The person who left it(now long gone), the store to whom the cart belongs for lack of timely pickup. This may be one for SCOTUS. But then again maybe not.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Going to post this in parts too, but seems that the tail light was cracked. Is this available?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think options include finding a complete lens assembly (chrome frame with plastic lenses intact) from a used source, or putting your name on the list for replacement lenses from @Stan (long list, will wait many months for this). I think there are "spare" lens assemblies to be found on the forum. In fact, I may have one. But I doubt all of the lenses on what I have are intact, and I am not ready to part with it just yet. But I suspect there may be others who are.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In my opinion, if I hit someone who 'suddenly stops', I'm at fault for following too closely, AND careless driving. Try that one on the 'cop and hitter' for size!

Gary-

PS: Oh Yes - also, in my opinion, there is no such thing as an 'accident' involving damage to my car unless a tree falls on it or a meteorite hits it while I'm on the road driving. Any other contact between cars is driver error - mine or the other driver (even in case of a mechanical problem on the car, as that represents a lack of maintenance on my or the other driver's part).

Gary

I think most of us would agree with Gary's general summary but in UK law there can be exceptional cases. I quote from a UK Court of Appeal case, which involved a leading car braking 'for no good reason' before being struck by a following car. The general principle is that each driver owes the other a duty of care and that a leading driver should be aware of a following vehicle and that this should prevent him from braking hard unless he had reason. The brief summary is as follows -

Ali -v- D'Brass, CA, 23/11/11
Description

A motorist who braked sharply for no good reason was held 40% responsible for rear-end collision that ensued:-

The Court of Appeal held that the trial judge had erred in dismissing the claimant's personal injury claim on grounds that the although the defendant had been driving too close behind the claimant's vehicle, the claimant was wholly responsible for braking for no good reason and thereby causing a rear-end collision. Upon appeal, the Court of Appeal held that the accident could have been avoided if the defendant had kept a greater distance from the claimant's vehicle and driven with more care. The Court of Appeal also held that the claimant was partially at fault in braking sharply for no good reason. However, in driving too close to the rear of the claimant's vehicle, the defendant should bear the greater degree of responsibility. Accordingly, the Court of Appeal upheld the appeal and apportioned liability at 60:40 in the claimant's favour.
Specifications

• Court of Appeal (Civil Division)

• Thursday, 22 December 2011

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@scottevest,

Since your baby is not done and likely won’t ever be “done”, I moved this back to projects and restorations. Keep us posted on the repair work. I think your transparency on cost and effort will help those that suffer a similar fate.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
@scottevest,

Since your baby is not done and likely won’t ever be “done”, I moved this back to projects and restorations. Keep us posted on the repair work. I think your transparency on cost and effort will help those that suffer a similar fate.
Thanks. Transparent I am....

BTW, Bennyz asked me to swing by again today so he could get a closer look and put together a bid. He's not sure if we need to replace the tail light and the license bracket. Let me know your thoughts if you want to. Also, where is the best source for window switches and brackets. One of my fell off. I am sure I can find one readily but if you know, please advise.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's help with the restoration. I drive MY BABY daily, except when I know it is raining/snowing. It drives amazing. My new poodle puppy, Sabrina, loves it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Switches:

Daniel Sweden

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello
I have a NOS lamp glass Right
But I do not want to sell it before I have received
the replacment lenses from Stan
it is not a cheap p
art but if you can take a clean picture of yours then i might take it in exchange and pay for it
Regards Daniel

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score

Gary
Gary
The problem is what makes sense doesn’t matter from a legal standpoint. I was once hit by someone totally distracted. Kid flew out of a driveway and onto a public road (totaled both cars ). Kid’s Dad was a city councilman . Miraculously the cops found no fault for either driver. Probably Kept the kid from losing license.

I guess I don’t donate enough to the local police every year.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't want to watch the video here are some images
Hello
I have a NOS lamp glass Right
But I do not want to sell it before I have received
the replacment lenses from Stan
it is not a cheap pView attachment 65771View attachment 65773View attachment 65772art but if you can take a clean picture of yours then i might take it in exchange and pay for it
Regards Daniel
Here is hi-res image. Bennyz is not sure if he can bend it back to look right. Let me know cost of the right (passenger side) only, and I can see if insurance will cover, and happy to give you mine as core exchange.
Anyone have a lead on the chrome piece behind license plate?

Attachments

• IMG_5923.JPG
    IMG_5923.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 386

Daniel Sweden

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You have to dismantle it and take closer pictures
so I can judge it
are there pimples in the chromium?
I can't see this
if it is bent I am doubtful if I can pay for the exchange

the cost of the right side only is 1500 dollar plus shipping and customs
I know it's terrible but that's it
You may look further maybe there will be something used to look for

[email protected]

Regards Daniel

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the estimate from Beny for the repairs. OMG. $4500. I had no idea. I literally was going to walk away thinking it would be a couple hundred dollars to push the bumper out and call it a day. It’s very glad insurance is involved. Here is a recent picture of my baby

Attachments

• 0EB3490D-E985-425F-A979-EA5CD50BF64F.jpeg
    0EB3490D-E985-425F-A979-EA5CD50BF64F.jpeg
    537.4 KB · Views: 325

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got the estimate from Beny for the repairs. OMG. $4500. I had no idea. I literally was going to walk away thinking it would be a couple hundred dollars to push the bumper out and call it a day. It’s very glad insurance is involved. Here is a recent picture of my baby
Always, always involve the police first, insurance second. Always!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @scottevest,

Sorry again to hear about the damage. I have a core rear bumper that I was going to sell at a low cost. The left side had a “soft spot”, but the right is in good shape. Not to sound dramatic, but it is is actually the combination of the two worst pieces of rear bumper I have. All in an effort to save on chrome later. Anyway, the passenger side is on my car now. It has some flaking below the rear light, but otherwise solid. I’ll snap some pics. Obviously, it would need to go to chrome. You are going to want to plate the replacement regardless.

I have four things that I absolutely must ship first, but I can hold it for you. Shoot me a PM for details. Also place a WTB ad to get some friendly market competition. ;)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @scottevest,

Sorry again to hear about the damage. I have a core rear bumper that I was going to sell at a low cost. The left side had a “soft spot”, but the right is in good shape. Not to sound dramatic, but it is is actually the combination of the two worst pieces of rear bumper I have. All in an effort to save on chrome later. Anyway, the passenger side is on my car now. It has some flaking below the rear light, but otherwise solid. I’ll snap some pics. Obviously, it would need to go to chrome. You are going to want to plate the replacement regardless.

I have four things that I absolutely must ship first, but I can hold it for you. Shoot me a PM for details. Also place a WTB ad to get some friendly market competition. ;)
The rear bumper is fine, but thanks.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Below is my current punchlist of things. Nothing is urgent. This is not in order of priority.

• Shift console/bushing rebuild -
  • Throttle linkage adjustment -
  • Clutch bleed/engagement adjustment -
  • Possible guibo failure -
  • Possible driveshaft center-bearing failure
  • install a new fan for radiator - I have parts - not sure if needed
  • Light for Gas Tank goes on/off intermittently, regardless of how much gas is in tank
  • I believe there are extra wires attached near battery/alternator that can be remove
  • Antenna does not operate, i.e., go up/down
  • Do you recommend any tuning to suspension, e.g. anti-sway bars?
  • Seatbelt on driver’s side not retracting well and needs the clip and misc parts
  • New BMW emblem on the trunk
  • Repaint trunk and hood per Benny at his cost
  • Clock sometimes loses time, but not consistently
  • Engine Compartment clean-up and stickers
  • Interior clean up
  • Sunroof requires slight human intervention to get going
  • Interior door floor trim missing -Incorrect interior fasteners
  • Antennae does not go up/down
  • get the headrest to move up/down
  • Fix/finish interior of trunk

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

When you buy the window switches remember that the late '73 and '74 models have different wiring connectors - therefore need the specific late year switches.

Good luck with the repair.

Gary

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

When you buy the window switches remember that the late '73 and '74 models have different wiring connectors - therefore need the specific late year switches.

Good luck with the repair.

Gary
Thank you Garry. I had no idea. I just purchased a new switch for the center consul for $80 and did not know this. I hope I have the right one

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My seat recliner lever on drivers side is no longer functioning, i.e. it moves but doesn't engage to release the seat. I removed the screws holding the plate down thinking it would be simple from there, but not the case. Is there an easy fix to this? Thanks.