My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC, The end of the cable which acts on the release mechanism has pulled out of the end “bit” which is required to “catch the release arm. Remove seat, remove back panel, find end of cable flopping around, crimp on new copper ferrule (dunno if that’s the right word).

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC, The end of the cable which acts on the release mechanism has pulled out of the end “bit” which is required to “catch the release arm. Remove seat, remove back panel, find end of cable flopping around, crimp on new copper ferrule (dunno if that’s the right word).
Thx

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just curious if people have had anything problems with emergency break? I find It almost useless. Has anyone else had these problems? I had mentioned this several times when I brought it in for service but it does not seem like it gets much better.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
When in good condition and adjusted properly it will grab and hold well, and essential for doing J turns in the snow. I personally think they are an important thing to have functioning properly

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't want to watch the video here are some images

Here is hi-res image. Bennyz is not sure if he can bend it back to look right. Let me know cost of the right (passenger side) only, and I can see if insurance will cover, and happy to give you mine as core exchange.
Anyone have a lead on the chrome piece behind license plate?
just a tiny FYI, the part between the tail light is polished aluminum unless a early car (2000CS?) which are chrome over brass

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
A few observations:

My steering has previously been VERY loose feeling, but I just realized I was putting WAY too much air in the tires. I think I was looking at the sidewall of the tire. I called TireRack and they said to use based upon the weight of the vehicle, and that 30psi all around was right. Now the car feels awesome. I feel like an idiot.

My fairly new battery registered 60% full; I recharged it to 100%. Oddly, it seems to run better. Is that even possible? I am interested to see if my Clock now runs right. Oddly, I have noticed in my Porsche Cayenne and 911 when my battery is not fully charged, things don't run quite as well either, but thought perhaps since they are more modern and rely on much more in terms of electronics, it made sense.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keep your car on a trickle charger if you don't daily drive it.

I usually have my tires about 2-3psi less than the max specified on the sidewall. If it starts showing too much center wear (rarely if ever), I'll lower it.

Better too high than too low IMHO. Too low will wear them out quickly and can cause blowouts (which I've experienced).

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep your car on a trickle charger if you don't daily drive it.

I usually have my tires about 2-3psi less than the max specified on the sidewall. If it starts showing too much center wear (rarely if ever), I'll lower it.

Better too high than too low IMHO. Too low will wear them out quickly and can cause blowouts (which I've experienced).
I do drive daily, but short drives; what do you use for PSI?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

That seems really high to me. I can’t imagine going over 40psi on 16” tires, which still seems awfully high to me. I’m guessing the PSI rating on the tire is somewhere in the mid 40’s. Don’t drive through AZ or Palm springs in the summer. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe the psi number on the tire is the MAX psi it can handle. For example, on my Michelin Pilot Sport S4 tires (not on the coupe), the psi on the tire reads 50psi. But the sticker in the door jamb of the E90 reads 30psi and 35psi (front and rear). Which is to say, a few pounds less than the tire spec would be pretty high pressure, I think. Something in the 30psi to 35psi range sounds right.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe the psi number on the tire is the MAX psi it can handle. For example, on my Michelin Pilot Sport S4 tires (not on the coupe), the psi on the tire reads 50psi. But the sticker in the door jamb of the E90 reads 30psi and 35psi (front and rear). Which is to say, a few pounds less than the tire spec would be pretty high pressure, I think. Something in the 30psi to 35psi range sounds right.
TireRack assured me that no more than 30psi should be put in to front and rear using the 16" tires, which they said shouldn't be different from 14 or 15 inch since car weighs the same no matter.
they were adamant about it. but see

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
MYSTERY SOLVED RE my clock, I THINK...
So, I tested my car battery, which is new btw, and discovered it was at about 60% full. I typically drive only short trips, so not sure if the alternator is given a chance to recharge properly on most occassions. So, I charged the battery to 100% and magically the clock now keeps good time. It's only bee a couple of days, and it has kept good time intermittently so not sure if it will hold, but I am very optimistic.
Oddly, the car seems to run better too. Is that even possible?
I will let you know.
Is it surprising to you that a 60% battery doesn't offer sufficient charge to keep the clock working properly.
Does this mean there may be something funky going on with the electronics generally? I replaced the alternator and Bennyz has some issues getting the electronics working properly. I had work done in SF and Boise shops that sorted all this out.
Oddly, I noticed similar issues with my 90 Porsche 911 and 2006 Cayenne with power. If battery is not charged properly, weird things happen.
Cross posting this on my Clock thread too.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I don’t want to hijack your thread with tire talk. I’ll just say that the diameter and width of the tire, as well as tire construction all play a role in the PSI. The more volume of air you have, the lower the PSI. Think of a racing bicicyle, that weighs well under 20lbs with a PSI of up to 130. A mountain bike with big knobby tires but still well under 3,000lbs - running 25 PSI.

A 14” tire with the same outer diameter and same width holds more air, and the PSI will be lower than a 16” wheel (see your sticker). The difference may be negligible on paper, but one can’t say that it is irrelevant. The delta between tires is lower for car, but you don’t calculate PSI on weight alone. You will see a difference with large truck tires or heavy duty tires. A 6,000lb pickup on 37” tires will still be running 35-40 psi at 2x the weight of the coupe. It is because the tires hold 2x more air and have a stronger sidewall.

Dohn

Reaction score
I run 30 psi front and rear in my Michelin Sport AS3s on 16 inch BBS, and the ride and cornering is great. Will increase to 32-34 in the back if carrying a lot of luggage. Wear on the tires is very even.

Might want to look for a open circuit on your coupe. Unless you have some aftermarket electronics there should be very little draw when parked.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Might want to look for a open circuit on your coupe. Unless you have some aftermarket electronics there should be very little draw when parked.
Thanks. My coupe has never run better than with 30 psi; is it hard to find an open circuit?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been meaning to shoot and edit a video trying to inform other BMW owners contemplating a restoration showing the entire process. I had hoped to edit all of the prior videos and still intend to do so.

Unfortunately, I’ve been a little busy believe it or not during the quarantine. I will someday I promise.

In the meantime, I got motivated today and finally washed my baby. It really needed it.

When I was done I thought I’d shoot a quick little video that turned out a lot longer than I had intended.

I know a lot of you don’t really care for the video format so my apologies in advance.

I did want to take a moment to thank everyone on this forum that help me with this restoration. You guys were awesome collectively.

I could not have done it without you.

Apologies for being new to the restoration process and not knowing how to deal with tons of advice.

I do appreciate everyone’s help. I mean that sincerely.

In the end, I am really happy with the results.

I think Benny did a great job under the circumstances given the budget. I can’t wait to see the completion of the restoration he is working on now. It looks amazing. I know what it could’ve been with a carte blanche budget now.

I hope everyone is surviving the quarantine. We have been keeping busy but our business is severely affected as you could imagine. Not many people buying travel clothing.

Having said that, I am proud to report, that I have not had to lay anyone off. I am sure the business will come back as well as the world. Hope everyone is well and again thanks for your help.

Last edited: