my NOS hirschmann antenna

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well first of all a big thank you to Andre, who was so kind to sell and went through the efforts to send me this beautiful hirschmann antenna, NOS, perfectly preserved

it contains:

i had a useless hole in my rear panel, so i wanted to somehow fill in the gap (hole) ;-)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
perfect size to keep the newly made trunk bucket in place

easy fit with the apropriate set of washers (all included)

it is amazing that in the original package of this antenna you find a plastic nut to give the right torque to the fittting without breaking anything and without making a scratch

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
and this is the aspect once the antenna is put in place

this was exactly the "line" that i was looking for, love the angle respect to the vertical,

the numerous washers made the miracle of fittting it to the desired angle while keeping the base properly flat to the car body

Last edited:

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks great. I have a question about the antenna lead that maybe someone can answer for me. Does the center post on the male end of the antenna cable serve as the positive terminal ?

Or is it just to center the cable into the female receiver at the back of the radio ? My antenna cable only seems to have a wrapping of conductive metal just under the insulation and no additional lead running down the center.

Attachments

• car-am-fm-radio-antenna_odtxpq1323672105958.jpg
    car-am-fm-radio-antenna_odtxpq1323672105958.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 160

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
David the center post of the antenna plug carries the antenna signal, the outer is ground.
Unless I misunderstood the question, the antenna cable inner conductor must connect to the center post. I assume the antenna cable is a coaxial cable, right?

DQ the angle is perfect, the car appears to move forward and the antenna leans back.

Only DQ can relish the aesthetics of an antenna without even mentioning if the antenna provides any signal reception. He may not even have a radio in the car, who cares, it looks beautiful.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ the angle is perfect, the car appears to move forward and the antenna leans back.

exactly, thanks, that is the idea

Only DQ can relish the aesthetics of an antenna without even mentioning if the antenna provides any signal reception. He may not even have a radio in the car, who cares, it looks beautiful.

only you can relish that this was the real point of all of this, you are right, i do not have a radio, ha !

look, no radio:

Last edited:

Tundra

Reaction score
Looking good

Looks great deQuincey. Glad it worked out. Although no radio, you'll still have music form the engine.

Cheers

Andre

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
David the center post of the antenna plug carries the antenna signal, the outer is ground.
Unless I misunderstood the question, the antenna cable inner conductor must connect to the center post. I assume the antenna cable is a coaxial cable, right?

Thanks.
I must not have stripped back the cable enough. There is a plastic center hollow conduit, but it was empty.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw that picture yesterday and suspected that.

Form follows form, a true artist!

only you can relish that this was the real point of all of this, you are right, i do not have a radio, ha !

look, no radio:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
looks of the hirschmann open daylight

early morning, sunrise at the coast side, the first complete sunny day in two weeks,...15 ºC at 7a.m.

driving fast, no trafic, ...nice

love it, thanks Andre, you made me so happy ...!

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I think this is somewhat on topic:
The center wire in my antenna cable is about the width of a human hair. You can just make it out in this photo. I imagine a soldering iron would melt it away. What am I missing here?

i do not have any problem to host your question here, but i deny your question is on topic, form follows form, no interest in funtion ! ha,ha,ha

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely stuff deQuincey, It's all about the details and that looks great. I'm just curious, Is Hirschmann original equipment?

thank you
honestly i do not know, i guess that hirschmann is but i can not tell if this particular model was
i was somehow forced to do something with the existing hole, and i was also limited by what was available in the "market"

i assume that the hole was not in the usual position, i have been told that usually the coupe had the aerial in the front wing, it is reasonable as period correct aerials were much longer, and in the trunk you do not have enough free height

a friend has an original aerial in a 2800cs dated 1969, and it is placed in the front wing and i think it is over 1meter long

but generally speaking i am very happy with what i have now

regards

decampos

Reaction score
Indeed, it looks great. I have a photograph of my exact car when it was new (1975) and shows the antenna exactly where yours is. My one is a Beru which looks period but I don't know if it's original.

thank you
honestly i do not know, i guess that hirschmann is but i can not tell if this particular model was
i was somehow forced to do something with the existing hole, and i was also limited by what was available in the "market"

i assume that the hole was not in the usual position, i have been told that usually the coupe had the aerial in the front wing, it is reasonable as period correct aerials were much longer, and in the trunk you do not have enough free height

a friend has an original aerial in a 2800cs dated 1969, and it is placed in the front wing and i think it is over 1meter long

but generally speaking i am very happy with what i have now

regards

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hirschmann antenna

Hi DQ,

Yes the original electric one was an Hirschmann.
I found those pix in the "zubehor" book.
You can recognize the shape and note the name on the box.
I got mine -exactly the same-on a dead Ford Capri, as Hirschmann was present on most of the GTs of that time.
BTW Very nice car !!
rgds
cr.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 173

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Becker installation manual that lists these antennas:

BMW 2500/2800/3.0 S
Automatic-antenna Auta 6000 F 351 manufacturer: HIRSCH- MANN.

BMW 2800 CS/3,0 CS
Automatic-antenna Auta 6000 F 352 manufacturer: HIRSCH- MANN.