Raven gets a new nest

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do not understand ….
You can see the raised trough in the ceiling for the lift
This will make more sense when the lift is installed. I will have a 12' tall lift in a 10'-8" tall space. The posts and cross bar will be up above the bottom chord of the trusses. I wasn't able to make the entire garage any taller, and it is already larger in scale than any other garages in the neighborhood.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are there enough screws in the drywall?
I am glad you asked (and great eye). I would argue no, there aren't enough screws. Every reference I have suggests that the screws should be 12" OC max. But the builder tells me this installation is correct. And finally, just this morning, I did fine a source that endorses his spacing.

Would I put more screws in? Absolutely. But I am trying to pick my battles. I may just go out there and throw more screws in myself...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Would I put more screws in? Absolutely. But I am trying to pick my battles. I may just go out there and throw more screws in myself...
Yeah, it's one of those "If I don't do it now..." things, but if it's to code I would think you're okay. I would've guessed around 8" spacing, especially for ceiling panels.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 'minimum screws' in the drywall reminds me of a Habitat for Humanity story.

When hurricane Andrew went through Homestead FL in 1992, a vast majority of homes were badly damaged or destroyed. There was one area where HfH volunteers had built most of the houses. All of them were still standing and had minimal or no damage. The postulation was that the volunteer builders had used twice as many nails in constructing those houses as the 'professionals' had used in constructing the 'corporate built' homes.

So, maybe installing those additional screws in the drywall is worthwhile Stephen!!! As I recall from my days in the upper great plains, tornadoes occasionally show up.

Gary

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are there enough screws in the drywall? Seems too far apart, but I'm a low level guy. :D
Here in MA it’s every 12”, or five screws across the width. Looks like you have it easier out there. And here in MA, if you aren’t using Caucasian union guys the inspector measures every row of screws, and fails you if even one pair are spaced more than 13” apart.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here in MA it’s every 12”, or five screws across the width. Looks like you have it easierniut there. And here in MA, if you aren’t using Caucasian union guys the inspector measures very row of screws and fails you if even one pair are spaced more than 13” apart.
I don't know if we have it easier here, or just within the walls of my garage. Residential projects don't require union labor here, and why would anyone pay 50% more anyway to hang drywall in their single family house. The best crews I've seen are Polish and Mexican, specifically out of Chicago. 50% less cost than Wisconsin and much better work. What happens when the inspector isn't Caucasian?

I am still considering adding screws. Of course, the logical place to start would be the walls since their installation seems to have settled on (4) screws per board, or roughly at 16" centers. But then the walls would result in a higher density than the 12" datum, and the ceiling would "only" be at 12" centers. So then I would think I should add more screws on the ceiling where the gravity loading is perpetual. But then the ceiling would be at what, every 6". After thinking about this (and I have several times), I convince myself to leave well enough alone. If I start seeing screw heads popping, I can always add more screws later. Or maybe I never think about it again.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd put more screws in both the ceiling and walls. It's so easy to do now and you'll be done. You've got so many references to 12" and only one that justifies the larger spacing. Who you gonna trust?
Our 13 year old house was built with nail guns and it creaks and pops in high winds so I've gone into the attic to add long screws to every lumber joint I can reach. More screws in drywall won't increase your garage stiffness much, but it will help.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I eventually discovered our Irish building inspector had a great fondness for the color green: Green clothes, green beer, green leprechauns, and green Ben Franklins. Had I know earlier I could’ve saved my self weeks of aggravation and reinspections. Apologies to all those of Irish heritage, as I am not implying the Irish are any more or less ethical than the Chinese ;-)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m curious about the underlying issue with nailgun framing. Homes have been built with nails for hundreds of years. The sheer strength of nail is significantly stronger than a screw of equivalent size.

I'd put more screws in both the ceiling and walls. It's so easy to do now and you'll be done. You've got so many references to 12" and only one that justifies the larger spacing. Who you gonna trust?
Our 13 year old house was built with nail guns and it creaks and pops in high winds so I've gone into the attic to add long screws to every lumber joint I can reach. More screws in drywall won't increase your garage stiffness much, but it will help.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I dunno, but if this was me, and I was paying for everything, including lunch for workers I do not want to insult (and BTW, I do understand this intervention, it really does have a positive effect!) when all I am asking for, is to build my shop the way I want, well..I would fill those sheets with as many screws as I feel will let me sleep. Most of us have a level of OCD Stephen, but that is why we have such great results on our projects! Follow your impulse and add to those supporting screws. Just my opinion, but I feel many of us have been there before. ;)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today the exterior siding was largely finished. Two of the three overhead garage doors will be installed tomorrow. And I will be doing a bunch of work on the garage this weekend, including an initial step of the heat pump installation, correctly mortising for the door hinges, prepping for some of the exterior lighting and sensor installations, AND ADDING MORE SCREWS TO THE DRYWALL. I estimate that I'll want to install approximately 600 screws, but I bought more than that just in case I want to go overboard.
20191122-drywall screws.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a productive few days ahead. Maybe some pictures are due so we can see the siding.

At my house we are dark sky compliant. Interested in what fixtures you chose.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a productive few days ahead. Maybe some pictures are due so we can see the siding.

At my house we are dark sky compliant. Interested in what fixtures you chose.
While that is not a requirement for this project, the fixtures I am using are fully comply.

Pictures forthcoming.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, there are benefits and drawbacks. ;) On the bright side, I've been pushed towards the result I wanted deep down. But I am glad I didn't start this thread when I was "designing" the garage. It's not that kind of project.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, there are benefits and drawbacks. ;) On the bright side, I've been pushed towards the result I wanted deep down. But I am glad I didn't start this thread when I was "designing" the garage. It's not that kind of project.
In regards to going overboard with the screws, I say, "Man Overboard!"