Raven gets a new nest

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Your compressor should be fine for a weekend warrior. I've had a similar one in my garage for about 30 years, minus the pipe organ.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stephen - A buddy of mine has a condensor he pulled from his e9 installed onto his compressor; similar theory to your copper pipe idea, but not as elegant.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing. Lots of expensive valves. Had you thought about doing it horizontally so you only need one drain valve?

I‘ve heard about using an application air conditioning condenser (tube & fin) with a drain valve soldered into the bottom.

And low end version

Why? Because they are compact and cheap. I’ve heard people mount these so the air flow from the compressor pulley vanes also flows across the condenser fins. The only challenge is adapting the fittings.

John

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing. Lots of expensive valves. Had you thought about doing it horizontally so you only need one drain valve?

I‘ve heard about using an application air conditioning condenser (tube & fin) with a drain valve soldered into the bottom.

And low end version

Why? Because they are compact and cheap. I’ve heard people mount these so the air flow from the compressor pulley vanes also flows across the condenser fins. The only challenge is adapting the fittings.

John

Nah... too pedestrian for him. Above all else, he's an aesthete...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why would I spend my time and energy sourcing a used condenser, figuring out how to adapt the fittings, and live with the reduced air flow when I can craft a beautiful copper menagerie and achieve a theoretic 300CFM? Honestly, the parts for this cost about the same as a similar CFM, good quality commercially available dryer. It was an easy choice for me. :cool:

And low end version

John

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why would I spend my time and energy sourcing a used condenser, figuring out how to adapt the fittings, and live with the reduced air flow when I can craft a beautiful copper menagerie and achieve a theoretic 300CFM? Honestly, the parts for this cost about the same as a similar CFM, good quality commercially available dryer. It was an easy choice for me. :cool:

So, if that architect thing doesn't work out for you, I'll bet there is a market for these.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought that model compressor 20 years ago used and it is at home in the garage. At my shop I have an 80 Gallon, 5 HP 2 stage unit. While better, I did a reasonable amount of bead blasting with the old unit and didn't kill it. It is great for general purpose stuff.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to give all of you California, Florida, and Atlanta folks (fill in the rest of the warm weather locations as you will) a dose of wonderful midwest weather (and I am being sincere), here is a shot of Raven's nest that Amy took this morning on our way out to shovel the neighborhood this morning. In our neighborhood we probably only got about 6" to 8", but there was a lot of drifting that created some deeper zones.

If you look real close, you might be able to make out an e9 chassis through the windows. :D
image000000(21).jpg

image000000(30).jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I see a roof line and a wing window frame. Really not sure. The street light is still on and the sun is not up yet. Here is Solebury, Bucks County PA today's high was 57. It will dive into the low 40s tomorrow before recovring for the next 10 days mostly into the 50s. Bizarre winter we are having here. A bit unnerving.